Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what would and wouldn't grow well in my area (Eastern AL)

anyone got any tips?

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I was wondering what would and wouldn't grow well in my area (Eastern AL)

anyone got any tips?
North eastern or South eastern? Google for the USDA's Hardiness Zone map for one. It'd also be good to know what kind of soil you have if you're going to be putting anything into the ground as is. It's easy enough to prepare/build up a plot for a veggie garden but I'm betting it's different for an orchard. As a general rule I'd guess you could do all the normal veggies, it just depends on how they handle the climate as to when you'll need to plant and when to expect a crop (find the map). Fruit trees, from what I hear, are another matter entirely. Very picky and very touchy they are. The best source would be someone in the same area as you who's had success with gardening. At the very least, someone at the same latitude.

It's a lot of fun though and a great idea. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
That and it's time to go to the library and read books on the subject so you somewhat of what your doing. Pay attention to soil types and PH also on remidies to fix certain soil conditions. That and learning about composting wouldn't hurt either.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
84 Posts
Planting Guide For Home Gardening In Alabama
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0063/

Fruit Culture in Alabama
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0053-B/
Table 1 from the second link is excellent. If the fruit tree you are looking for is not on that list I'd shy away from it.

For a small fee ($15 per sample I believe) Auburn will test your soil for nutrients, minerals, and acidity. They will advise you as to what needs to be added for different crops. I've worked with their people on a couple of issues and they were extremely helpful.

You can contact them:

AU Soil Testing Lab
ALFA Bldg., 961 S. Donahue Drive
Auburn University, AL 36849-5411
Telephone: (334) 844-3958

We are in SW AL, and I have planted the following under advisement of a master gardener in our area:

Santa Rosa Plum
High Bush Blue Berry
Peaches
Gala Apples
Granny Smith Apples
Winter Huckle Berry
Pomegranate
Celest Figs
Jackson and Forkert Pecans

Within the next few weeks I'm going to try and plant a few paw-paws and kiwi.

If you can find someone with a successful orchard in your area don't hesitate to ask them questions. People love to talk shop concerning the things they are passionate about. They might also be willing to give you cuttings off their bushes as well.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts