Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comfort foods are reasonable right? I mean, we can justify spending money on stuff that we enjoy, if it keeps us sane that much longer post SHTF.

So I was thinking... How about those soda machines I keep hearing about?

You hear them advertised on Rush Radio, and for $80.00 bucks, it might be worth it.

My only problem is that, the Mixes, don't seem all that much cheaper then just buying them from the store. You have the hassle of ordering and waiting, and they only have a 4 month Fresh shelf life.

Today I am going to call the company and see if they can explain the benefit to them.

Have any of you guys gotten one? What is your experience with them?

Is it possible to #10 Can the mixes for longer shelf life?

·
Armchair Prepper
533 Posts
I haven't tried the machine, but making your own soda is easy and cheap. Water, sugar, flavor, and yeast in a bottle for a week or so.

I brew beer, so I already have bottles and a capper. Caps are pennies each.

To start cheap, you can re-use 2 liter bottles.

www.homebrewtalk.com is a decent source of information.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got beer, wine, even whiskey covered if I have to.

But nothing beats a nice Jack and Coke.

The Soda Machine says it doesn't use HFCS, it actually uses real sugar. For that reason alone I should get one.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Learn to make your own, it's easy cheap and if you know how to make your own flavors you could keep on making soda after tshtf.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how to carbonate the soda though.

·
Master of Indoor Comfort
144 Posts
My mother just bought one, but isn't interested in flavoring. It uses CO2 cartridges like you use in a bb gun. Good seltzer water. I tried the flavorings, they stink.

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
My mother just bought one, but isn't interested in flavoring. It uses CO2 cartridges like you use in a bb gun. Good seltzer water. I tried the flavorings, they stink.
I was contemplating getting one for the seltzer water. Do you know if she is happy with it?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
look on a face book for a company called CO2 doctor and get there kit for the 80CUFT sized air tanks for the hook up a standard scuba diver air tank set up to use with soda machine or goggle them and they should come up .

this way you save on the socalled carbonators units ..the tanks last a lot longer and you have to buy the mixs only after putting out the system for the machine ..

here is a picture of the unit

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,152 Posts
I haven't tried the machine, but making your own soda is easy and cheap. Water, sugar, flavor, and yeast in a bottle for a week or so.

I brew beer, so I already have bottles and a capper. Caps are pennies each.

To start cheap, you can re-use 2 liter bottles.

www.homebrewtalk.com is a decent source of information.
That's the way to go right there. Home brewed sodas taste way better than the artificial commercial stuff and they're sustainable if you can grow the plants that you use for flavorings. I've made a few batches in the past and it was a hoot!

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Comfort foods are reasonable right? I mean, we can justify spending money on stuff that we enjoy, if it keeps us sane that much longer post SHTF.

You hear them advertised on Rush Radio, and for $80.00 bucks, it might be worth it.

My only problem is that, the Mixes, don't seem all that much cheaper then just buying them from the store. You have the hassle of ordering and waiting, and they only have a 4 month Fresh shelf life.

Today I am going to call the company and see if they can explain the benefit to them.

I've been kicking around low gluten bread recipes and alot of them use club soda, I've been wondering where the club soda was going to come from.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts

I use a similar thing in Aus, its called a soda stream, and is available in KMart and Coles.

Positives;
(1) I like the flavours, especially the cola(way better than Coke)
(2) Open bottles stay fresher than open bottles of off the shelf soft drinks(soda)
(3) You can keep multiple bottles of cold water in the fridge, if you feel like water it's there, if you prefer lemon, orange or whatever, it takes less than a minute.
(4) You recycling more - no empty soft drink bottles.
(5) A lot cheaper than off the shelf soft drinks

Negatives
(1) You have to buy co2 cylinders, and they always run out on a Sunday night:)
(2) You have to build a supply of bottles and wash them by hand.
(3) In my location, a variable supply of syrups.
(4) It doesnt make beer.

As a long term tool its going to save you money, as a shtf toll, its worthless.

(soft drink =/ soda)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

look on a face book for a company called CO2 doctor and get there kit for the 80CUFT sized air tanks for the hook up a standard scuba diver air tank set up to use with soda machine or goggle them and they should come up .

this way you save on the socalled carbonators units ..the tanks last a lot longer and you have to buy the mixs only after putting out the system for the machine ..

here is a picture of the unit
I use a similar thing in Aus, its called a soda stream, and is available in KMart and Coles.

Positives;
(1) I like the flavours, especially the cola(way better than Coke)
(2) Open bottles stay fresher than open bottles of off the shelf soft drinks(soda)
(3) You can keep multiple bottles of cold water in the fridge, if you feel like water it's there, if you prefer lemon, orange or whatever, it takes less than a minute.
(4) You recycling more - no empty soft drink bottles.
(5) A lot cheaper than off the shelf soft drinks

Negatives
(1) You have to buy co2 cylinders, and they always run out on a Sunday night:)
(2) You have to build a supply of bottles and wash them by hand.
(3) In my location, a variable supply of syrups.
(4) It doesnt make beer.

As a long term tool its going to save you money, as a shtf toll, its worthless.

(soft drink =/ soda)
the unit is great for keeping the cola habit under control if something happen and you can wean yourself off the cola habit ..

·
Only human...
270 Posts
you guys are contemplating ....SHTF and your concerned about soda pop

that 80 bucks is nearly 100 lb. of rice

Maybe he's all set for rice. I'm sure you probably have no idea where he is in regards to his survival preps. Your comment just sounded way too presumptuous. Besides, the morale boost that comes from comfort foods is immeasurable. Why survive if you forget to live?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yeah, it sounds bad, but... When the SHTF, I'm good.

I'm a Home Steader. My Survivalism, isn't counted in bags of rice, but in rows of Crops. I live in Gods Country NC. I have a wood burning Stove, a working farm, and the equipment to live off grid indefinately.

So, I am on Faze two. Being Modern Convenience Self Sufficient. That includes Electricity, Running water, and even Coke.

I've been doing this for quite a while now. I have all the #10 Canned foods I realistically need.

Then again, how much money would I save by not buying a 2.50 Cherry Pepsi every other night? Thats why being a survivalist is great. The more we invest, the more we save.

Reactions: fistfull of hurt

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, soda would be nice, but 100lbs of rice is better
I have that and more... but Rice isn't enough. You need (and I have) Beans, fruits, Fruit Drinks, powdered milk, And all variations of Vegetables in #10 Cans, packed for 30 years....

But how cool would it be to have powdered Colla in #10 Cans?

Beans I can Grow, Cherry Pepsi I can't.

Lets say the SHTF, and 15 years after "the fall", I can give you a Fresh Ice Cold Root Beer. How much will that be worth?

Nostalgia reasons alone, it's worth the investment.

The only part I don't like, is that it uses those CO2 Cartridges. I was hoping for something that actually compressed air, was self sustaining.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts

I agree, soda would be nice, but 100lbs of rice is better
Did you two ever consider, if only for one second, that he may be set in the food department? Do you go through life saying "I really need new underpants, as mine have huge holes in them, but that's 108 pounds of rice."? Did Crutch state that he is getting this instead of food? Some people I really wonder about... :xeye:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts