Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my idea:

2 garden sheds with chicken wire hung between them.
The wire would also cover the top of the play - run area.

My plan is to cut a hole in the side of one for a run (yellow line.

Black lines are 2x4 connecting the two shacks together. The chicken wire would attach to the beams.

Ideally there ought to be a door to the fenced in area.

The 2nd shed would be used for garden tools.

I would appreciate thoughts and criticisms.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Actually, this is very extravagant. My grandfather had a 3-sided crappy old shed with a tin roof and milk crates stacked on their sides for the hens to roost. Then the "chicken yard" was about 12x12 enclosed with old chicken wire.

My grandmother put 1-2 easter eggs in each nest. She always said if you took all the eggs away, that they wouldn't "lay" as many. So I guess thats was the reason for the pseudo-eggs.

You also need to put a top over the pen to keep em from flying out.

(Not directed at you, but I'm sure there will be comments that chickens can't fly....... Anyone that believes this has never been attacked by a rooster!)

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Actually, this is very extravagant. My grandfather had a 3-sided crappy old shed with a tin roof and milk crates stacked on their sides for the hens to roost. Then the "chicken yard" was about 12x12 enclosed with old chicken wire.

My grandmother put 1-2 easter eggs in each nest. She always said if you took all the eggs away, that they wouldn't "lay" as many. So I guess thats was the reason for the pseudo-eggs.

(Not directed at you, but I'm sure there will be comments that chickens can't fly....... Anyone that believes this has never been attacked by a rooster!)
Hell ya they can fly! I was attacked when I was 5 and thought I was "Rowdy Yates". I was out there trying to lasso a few birds, the one I got did not take kindly to my rope around it's neck and went after my face. Cut me up pretty good but just missed my eye. My dad (after patching me up) went out with a hatchet and tamed the rest of those roosters!

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Missouri is very close to us, I don't think it's extravagent at all. It takes a prison type lock-down to keep our birds alive. I lost all my chickens last week. I've had them over a year and a half. I have forgotten to put them on lock down 2 nights out of that entire time. Lost none the first time, lost them all this time. :mad:

Can you imagine what it would be like if we needed those birds/eggs for our family's survival? That one stupid mistake could make a huge impact on someone keeping them for serious food reasons.

If you want your birds to live long enough for you to eat them, a compound is what it takes. Your plan looks like a good one to me. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

They haven't seen chickens roosting in a tree or being chased by a labrador retriever either then :)

To the OP: I would think that if the sheds are metal you might want to reconsider that. The heat would be unbearable in the summer even in milder climates I'm sure.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They haven't seen chickens roosting in a tree or being chased by a labrador retriever either then :)

To the OP: I would think that if the sheds are metal you might want to reconsider that. The heat would be unbearable in the summer even in milder climates I'm sure.
Good point. Was thinking about using metal sheds. Will have to look for a way to vent them more.

I'd like to free range em but see a lot coyotes trucking through our back field during the day.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Chicken wire

Chicken wire will keep your chickens in, but will not keep raccoons and other predators out.
If you haven't been to backyard chickens web site, check them out. They have lots of good ideas for designing your own coop.

Please post back and let us know what you do. Chickens are on my list for next year.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Instead of a gate in the fence you could make it solid and put a full size door in the shed with a chicken door in it. Chicken door open for them but with the option of opening the full size door for airing out and cleaning.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plan is to have the chicken wire form a roof over the top of the run.

I would also put the walls down into the ground so nothing can just dig under the fence.

What do you all think about for the floors and walls inside? Plaint em with something that will keep the chickncrap from soaking into the wood?

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
my next chicken coop fantasy

1. concrete floor with a wall at least a foot high to hold in maybe 6 inches of wood shavings. I'm over the whole 'dirt' joke. Doesn't matter what you plant, if you can't rotate the birds out of it for it to regenerate, it will end up stinking and foul and a dead zone. Chicken pooh is very hot, it burns plants.

A concrete floor and a square ended shovel make the place cleanable and renewable every year.

2. Other than that the abilitiy to let them out of the run to forage in the general lawn area is nice, just for a short time every day or they tear the place up. The run itself very quickly becomes a kind of an exercise compound in a prison.

3. a door wide enough to wheel a wheelbarrow full of weeds in is good too. the run can quickly become your rubbish area, and that's good - it all turns into compost in the lovely wood shavings.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Plan is to have the chicken wire form a roof over the top of the run.

I would also put the walls down into the ground so nothing can just dig under the fence.

What do you all think about for the floors and walls inside? Plaint em with something that will keep the chickncrap from soaking into the wood?
I put down vynal flooring in my chicken house. Paint might help but, I think the poo would eat through it eventually.

If you've got coyotes on your land you'll need to get a good farm type dog to protect your girls while free rangeing. It would also be a good idea to keep a .22 handy.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Missouri is very close to us, I don't think it's extravagent at all. It takes a prison type lock-down to keep our birds alive. I lost all my chickens last week. I've had them over a year and a half. I have forgotten to put them on lock down 2 nights out of that entire time. Lost none the first time, lost them all this time. :mad:

Can you imagine what it would be like if we needed those birds/eggs for our family's survival? That one stupid mistake could make a huge impact on someone keeping them for serious food reasons.

If you want your birds to live long enough for you to eat them, a compound is what it takes. Your plan looks like a good one to me. :thumb:
Sorry to hear about your loss. We love our girls & it would be devistating to lose the entire flock. I've forgotten to lock up 3 or 4 times in a little over 2 years & only once I had my own dog go inside & take a single bird. Got rid of the dog & need another more chicken friendly version.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great looking setup Rob!
Got any pics of the inside?
I might have a couple, have to wait till i get to work where there is high speed. I'm on dial up at home and it is too slow.

floor is dirt. i made the roosts out of 1" pvc. still need nest box in one.

I had to get it built in a hurry. I spent 2 extra weeks in the hay fields and the chicks were crowded in small cages. they were pecking each other pretty bad.

took me a week to get it all done in this heat.

it is 16ft long and 8ft deep. i put foilback insulation under the tin. decided on the siding as i did'nt want just tin on the sides.the siding was T1-11 culls. used cedar colored sealer to help protect it.

I did'nt use any plans just went from what was in my head.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I might have a couple, have to wait till i get to work where there is high speed. I'm on dial up at home and it is too slow.

floor is dirt. i made the roosts out of 1" pvc. still need nest box in one.

I had to get it built in a hurry. I spent 2 extra weeks in the hay fields and the chicks were crowded in small cages. they were pecking each other pretty bad.

took me a week to get it all done in this heat.

it is 16ft long and 8ft deep. i put foilback insulation under the tin. decided on the siding as i did'nt want just tin on the sides.the siding was T1-11 culls. used cedar colored sealer to help protect it.

I did'nt use any plans just went from what was in my head.
Very cool! I can't wait to get started on mine. Have 3 or 4 more days over here then I'm home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts