Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i was thinking of building a crab pot. there are instructions all over the internet but i was wondering if any one here has tried this and what results did you have?
i have only used the 2 and netting ring type with good results. i was thinking about building one that was a bit more secure. some of the crabs fell off or out of the pot while we were raising them up. a box type one i think would eliminate that problem.
any ideas?

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Around here there so cheap you can get the box ones all the way down to 16.00 a trap. Good stainless steel ones if you watch down to 69.00. But we do keep extra chicken wire to mend them up if size restrictions regs go out the door.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was out in bodega last weekend, i did not ask around about used ones. i just saw a few brand new ones that were high priced for what you get. ill ask around near that fish market next to the classicy restraunt.
I used one of those iron hoops ones out in tomales bay, it worked so so. i usually put them on the western side of Hog island. i had pretty good luck there in the past.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that looks pretty good. simple and fool proof. am a collecting things up to get some thing built here shortly, still i think ill got to bodega and try and find a used one just to add another pot and increase the likelyhood of getting a better catch.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
OK excuse my ignorance but isn’t a crab pot something you cook them in?

like a big stew pot?

Michigander here so we dont get allot of opportunity to cook live crabs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
its probably better to just buy crab pots if your sole intention is to catch crabs- they will last longer and make for some great fun with minimal maintenance, however making pots will be useful in a SHTF scenario, although i cant vouch how well it might work and will probably require a bit more mainenance.
just my two cents.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im in luck, a friend of a friend found a few at a garage sale. i think about 3 of them. so ill buy them or just use them what i need to. they are a little banged up but new netting is not hard to come by.
i am going to build a milk crate one just to have on had for a SHTF situation. can never be too careful or preped.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
as a kid, we would attach a string to a fish head and throw it into the water. Wait for a crab to come along and pull it slowly to the surface. The crab will follow. Net that baby and enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts