Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I only managed to spot one.
That sort of camoflauge knowledge would be good to have, not so much for sniping but for surveillance and intelligence gathering.

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
What a crappy website. At least half the pic's wouldn't load and I couldn't x close the pop up at the bottom of the page.

Anyone worth shooting these days likely has FLIR look down drones and dogs.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,930 Posts
I managed to get 2. That was cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats where growing up in the boonies hunting your whole life helps. You know how to hide, and notice things that are slightly out of place. Y'all should pick up a copy of FM 23-10, it has the basics of camoflauge as well as the art of long distance shooting, surveillance, tracking, ect.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Tried to load the page, no joy. Thanks anyway. I really deflated my own ego on another page asking "can you spot the cat?" It was a smashed building, God know where, and right in the middle of the rubble was an orange tabby cat sitting still looking at the cameraman. It took me several seconds to find it even after being prompted. Wish I could find the link.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I hate these sorts of pics. It is easy to trick the eye by circling a random bush and saying THAT is the sniper. Only ONE pic had the sniper stand up to prove it.

We did a perception exercise in a Psych course years ago that directly related to this. Prof came in and showed up five huge photos. Then passed out smaller copies of same. Asked up to study the big ones. In each one there was a man hiding. Wanted us to mark on handout where we thought the man was.

Turned out, there was a man hiding in only one. We all believed there was a man in each since prof said so, and manufactured in our minds where the non existent men were based on looking for a pattern or such that said "man hiding".

Myself and four others though we really sucked at it. We could not find anyone in two of the pics. I had a guy sitting beside me show me "where the guy was" in the ones I could not find. When he pointed it out, I believed him. There was no man hiding in those pics.

THAT is why I hate these sort of pics. I don't trust the red circles.

·
Banned
7,017 Posts
That's a perfect analogy for the media and how they create boogiemen in our minds.

I hate these sorts of pics. It is easy to trick the eye by circling a random bush and saying THAT is the sniper. Only ONE pic had the sniper stand up to prove it.

We did a perception exercise in a Psych course years ago that directly related to this. Prof came in and showed up five huge photos. Then passed out smaller copies of same. Asked up to study the big ones. In each one there was a man hiding. Wanted us to mark on handout where we thought the man was.

Turned out, there was a man hiding in only one. We all believed there was a man in each since prof said so, and manufactured in our minds where the non existent men were based on looking for a pattern or such that said "man hiding".

Myself and four others though we really sucked at it. We could not find anyone in two of the pics. I had a guy sitting beside me show me "where the guy was" in the ones I could not find. When he pointed it out, I believed him. There was no man hiding in those pics.

THAT is why I hate these sort of pics. I don't trust the red circles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts