Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY GOSH!!!! the DW and I had our daughters family over for two days just the four of them, dont get me wrong they are neat,well mannered and have to live off one income so they do not waste...But to make a short story long since the wife and I have been prepping(not preppie) we sorta keep a running inventory of what we use and what we have to rotate.We kinda figgered a 3x increase in supply usage, well it seems like a 6x or higher usage rate is in order,hey the power was still on and the toilets worked:eek:....Does anyone else have experience and thoughts in this area, man this was an eye opener!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to have a family of 4 kids--but 2 are now married and on their own, so just the 2 kids and 2 of us left. Still it seems like my family eats a ton, esp. my only son who just turned 7 but is the size of a 12 yr.old...wears men's size 8 shoes, for example. It is amazing, isn't it..the food that you go through? Older people don't eat as much and my mother and my friend are constantly surprised as to the amount of food that I have to purchase. My friend says it seems like all I buy is food. Will your family be part of your group if things go bad? If so, at least you have an eye opener now, instead of when its too late.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
This has always been an issue with us, as I have 3 children, 4 grandchildren and one DIL. They all live within 3 miles of us and I still have one at home.

They eat a LOT. Over the years I've learned to make meals stretch by making soups and stews and cooking everything from scratch.

I can imagine how challenging it might be for empty nester's if the all the kids showed up on their doorstep.

And I hate to say this but in a shtf situation you're probably going to have to go to portion control no matter how much food you have set aside.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep it was a suprize! not only the food but TP,water,towels,laundry pots and pans and the general clean up!I guess the biggest lesson here is I thought I has about a years worth of supplies guess it is only 3 months worth now...Oh and this is not even counting the sons family that I know will show up if things broke bad.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Has anyone actually sat down and figured up a day by day food and water rationing?

How many calories will you need?

What foods can you store to get those calories?

Just having a lot of food may not be the way to go.

Ive sat down with my family and showed them how much food will be needed for a specific time period and that made them wake up and see how critical food will be.

Look at how many people you have to feed. Look at the type of foods your going to store and what quantities they come in. Figure out a daily food intake for all and use that by the number of days you think you will need to live off your food supply. I would over estimate just to be safe.

Also, get a cook book together of what you can make with your preps. Its easier to think of it now rather then when your stressed. And you will be stressed no matter how well you have prepared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts