Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Proverbs 22:3
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple things have happened recently to me, thought I would share.
Christmas shopping was a gridlock nightmare; now imagine all those people desperate and worried about their family because they did not prepare, accidents everywhere with no emergency response, and people carrying high powered guns they are only barely familiar with.....I'm staying put and not bugging out.
My wife fell and shattered her ankle a couple weeks ago. I have had EMT or higher medical training since I was 19, civilian and military, and all I could do was transport her to trauma surgery. Not sure how we would have handled it if we were in a SHTF situation. We are fairly well stocked, but Tylenol does not cut it on that kind of pain.
A grocery store in town is closing and I went in today to get a few things. It was unnerving to see all the empty shelves. Makes me wonder if that will become the norm soon. We are blessed to have the stores we do right now, but we need to be ready for the time when we don't.
Just something to think about......

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I got the wakeup call after Ike killed most of the power for 75 miles or more in all directions. I couldn't get gas for at least a week and the stores closed due to no power. I had a few weeks of food stocked so didn't worry but when the power came back the stores were almost empty, the sheepel had freaked and bought everything in site for several days prior to the hurricane. It was at least 2 months before everything was restocked due to the supply lines being broken. Some folks around me, less than 5 miles away didn't have power for over a month. I was a lucky one as I do a lot of camping and just broke into the camping supplies. Now I have started the food storage thing every time I go shopping and am starting a garden this spring.

·
Wasteland Wanderer
540 Posts
It is scary to think of a time where the services we are accustomed to do not exist. It is not a good idea to pretend there are no emergency services, but perhaps your family can turn off the power for a few days as a dry run? You may feel more confident afterwards.

The worst 'disaster' I've had to deal with was the power going out for 3 days in the middle of the summer when I was in first year university and still living at home. I was working in a grocery store at the time and we were told not to come to work, but when I returned the place smelt terrible! It gets to be about 30 degrees C here in the summer, so we had fun eating all of the ice cream in the freezer, and luckily we had a gas stove which we could light with a match to cook food. It was almost fun because we retained enough water pressure to use the toilet, and we had more then enough food.

Thinking about where I live now (2nd floor of a Victorian house with 2 other students) and the current conditions (it's -6 degrees C out, and will get much colder at night) reminds me that it's time to ramp up my preps. Excuse me while I go buy some emergency blankets and canned food. :p

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I think that alot of people in America are far better prepared than people in other countries.
You guys have to deal with hurricanes,snow storms etc which is totally foreign to us here in South Africa. We are very spoiled here.

In 2008 for a couple of months we experienced an energy crisis for the 1st time ever,where we had load shedding and power outages. It was frustrating to realize how reliant we really are on electricity and this experience was an eye opener for many.
All of a sudden people started conserving energy but once the power supply became stable again,and power outages stopped,most people reverted to wasting energy again....

I searched high and low for a place here where I can buy a woodburning stove,and after a few months finally found one. I haven't bought one yet,but hope to in the next few months.I want to be able to live off the grid so to speak when need be..

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I think that alot of people in America are far better prepared than people in other countries.
You guys have to deal with hurricanes,snow storms etc which is totally foreign to us here in South Africa. We are very spoiled here.

In 2008 for a couple of months we experienced an energy crisis for the 1st time ever,where we had load shedding and power outages. It was frustrating to realize how reliant we really are on electricity and this experience was an eye opener for many.
All of a sudden people started conserving energy but once the power supply became stable again,and power outages stopped,most people reverted to wasting energy again....

I searched high and low for a place here where I can buy a woodburning stove,and after a few months finally found one. I haven't bought one yet,but hope to in the next few months.I want to be able to live off the grid so to speak when need be..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts