Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of chatter about October 7, 2008 being a D-Day of sorts for SHTF, terrorism, etc. I have also read with great interest the threads about the potential Bank holidays in the next few days.

Coincidentally, early AM on October 7, I have to fly to Anaheim for business for several days.

Now, I realize the odds are long against something major happening during that short time span, but,

What if the S does HTF, and there I am, 2000 miles from home, family, and any of the meager preps I have made? All I will have is what I can get through on my checked luggage.

Should I try to make my way home; begging, borrowing and stealing my way? Throw myself at FEMA's mercy? Put my head between my knees and kiss my a** goodbye?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I travel a ton, probably 65% of the time during the year; and 1/2 of that by air. My car always has two guns in the trunk with ammo and a plastic bucket with a few MRE's and water, blanket and H2O filter kit. I can easily survive a week or more by myself when I have my car even if I don't immediately drive back.

By Air, I bring with me cash and almost ALWAYS rent a car so if SHTF I can drive home. I have a few hundred cash in the rear of my Franklin planner, also passport for ID, cc,and a few silver 1 oz coins and small 1/10 oz gold coins (Airport Xray - never once ever had anyone inspect/look at my franklin) I do 40-50 legs a year. I also try to carry at least $100-$200 in my wallet and not ever use my backup money and if one gets lost, I have the other as backup.

Figure if something DOES happen, can always pay for gas w/CASH or figure out a way to pump/siphon from a gas station. Hopefully if any does stop you on interstate if you tell them your just driving home and have some form of ID, they'll take that at face value, Else a little cash/silver payoff could be in order amazing what cash does for people.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Worse yet in Kalifornia during any crisis NO Firearms or ammunition sales.

Avoid FEMA if possible.

Yes try to get home.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I travel all the time as well. One thing you need to keep in mind is there are ways to get out if you have cash. I have been caught in hurricanes (Hugo) where we rented a car between 4 of us in the terminal and we headed out home. It was not 2000 miles but it was over 1000. We were fortunate in that the rental place wanted to get their vehicles out of harms way so we got a deal. Don't forget the bus if you have to. Try moving about in Central AMerica if you don't want to go in an old school bus.

Keep some cash on you. I don't leave home with out at least $200 in my pocket. Keep a kit in your checked luggage as well. (NO FIREARMS) That will land you in the wrong hotel. I travel with a Mini Swiss Army Water Filter. I know they have newer models but I have had these for years now. WOrk great if water is suspect. Carry a AT&T phone card as well. Cell phones my be down but land lines are usually good for a while.

Be prepared to do what you have to when you need to get out. Friends like you meet here are also a great resource if you are in a real bind during bad times. Big thing is watch for signs and get out early if you can. Don't wait for the folks in charge to tell you the ceiling has fallen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I travel a lot for business, unfortunately almost always overseas which ads a whole other layer to trying to get home. I have put a bit of thought into what I would do if I was somewhere away from home when things get bad.

First of all, if it is only land - even if it's 2000miles of it between you and home that's a good start if you have to make it on your own.

What you should do depends on the kind of emergency that occurs. If it's a short term event it's likely best to hunker down if the situation warrants it. Ie. it looks like you can get through it without harm and in a few days or so can fly back home.

If things come to a grinding halt - bank holiday, large scale disaster, or it seems like it will be weeks if ever you can fly - you need to make your own way. Since you will probably not have a car and walking is not an option at that distance you need to get one. Walking in a best case scenario would take you about 2 months I would guess.

So...you need a car. A car is not something that I would need when getting home since mostly I travel from Germany to the US or Britain...both require crossing water. However, here is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Carry cash on you on your trip as well as a few essentials in your luggage.

Renting a car is probably not an option if things get really bad and banks are shutdown (no credit card processing) - so no security deposit - no rental car. But try it anyways - a one way rental is probably the easiest option.

For a few hundred bucks you can buy a decent enough car. Even in the midst of a disaster you should be able to find something like that. If banks shut down, people will be desperate for money, especially used care lots. It doesn't have to be a good car, it only needs to last 2000 miles. See that it's filled up. even if gas where to be unavailable after you run out of your tank of gas you made it a couple of hundred miles. With the res of the cash buy some gas canisters and see that you can fill up. If you are in the back country things likely won't experience the same rush as places along the highway.

You can probably manage to work your way home in about 2-3 days if you get enough gas - so food is not a main priority. Stash a few mre's in your luggage and perhaps a foldable water container you can fill up before you bug out. I keep a Get Home bag in my car - contents: Maps (local area - but you should plan ahead and look up 3 different ways to get back from your business location to your home), pocket knife, food, water, hiking boots, outdoor clothes, rain jacket, emergency blanket, flashlight, compass - you get the point, mostly stuff you could get by with in your suitcase in checked luggage - not sure what the word is on guns in luggage...sorry, no guns in germany.

Anyways, just some thoughts that popped into my head..... maybe you can get some ideas from that. All i know is, that i would never kiss my a** goodbye or go to fema for help. My grandfather was a POW in ww2 - he broke out and walked, hitchhiked, ran, swam 600 miles in two weeks to get back to his family.....i would at least die trying to get back home some way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
iluvpcs - as i wrote my long winded answer about buying a car if no rental work anymore you came up with a better idea....rent the car ahead of time.... duh, so simple yet so much more prepared if things fall apart. Guess I shouldn't have so much wine today while making this year's batch of apple wine ;-)

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I have seen a lot of chatter about October 7, 2008 being a D-Day of sorts for SHTF, terrorism, etc. I have also read with great interest the threads about the potential Bank holidays in the next few days.

Coincidentally, early AM on October 7, I have to fly to Anaheim for business for several days.

Now, I realize the odds are long against something major happening during that short time span, but,

What if the S does HTF, and there I am, 2000 miles from home, family, and any of the meager preps I have made? All I will have is what I can get through on my checked luggage.

Should I try to make my way home; begging, borrowing and stealing my way? Throw myself at FEMA's mercy? Put my head between my knees and kiss my a** goodbye?
I was born and raised in southern California in the adjoining city of Orange. My first two apartments when I left home were in Anaheim. If the STHF, you could go to Disneyland and ride "It's a Small World" over and over again. By the time you're done, you may prefer a riot to the repetitive song you will hear on that ride.

But honestly, I can't say that I would want to be anywhere near So Cal if the SHTF. Anaheim had become a third world country the last time I was there (9 years ago). I don't know what it's like now but all of So Cal is a high desert. Water is piped in from the Colorado River. I do have a brother living in Yorba Linda which is also next door but he's not much of a prepper though he is a gun lover and a smart guy. If something happened there, you could contact me and I could see if he would be willing to help you out.

I don't know where you got this October 7th date though. Why would that date be of any significance?

Reactions: BudgetSurvivalist

·
Registered
61 Posts
LOL,

No worries, wine does that to me too :) That's why I plan my travel thoughts sober, but live the rest of my life in a happy haze ;)

--Ted

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know where you got this October 7th date though. Why would that date be of any significance?
I had not thought of that date until I read a post on this forum, in Ioninc's September 11, 2008 thread. When I googled October 7, 2008 it came up on site after site.

If you have read other threads I post in, you will know I don't invest a lot of belief in tin-hattery, but this one date just keeps coming up. It is giving me the creeps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts