Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Swirl Herder
4,030 Posts
I plan after this shortage to get a better stockpile. More defensive ammo ( cheaper hollow points maybe ) and at least triple my current stock. Also reloading components That way should another shortage hit, i can at least shoot a little more for fun.
Sounds like a good plan.

As we often discuss here, preparedness is as much about supplies, as it is about capabilities.

Shooting capabilities are volatile and only maintained by regular training/practice.

These ammo shortages last for 6 months to about two years (so far) - so an adequate stock should include that sacred ammo plus enough practice ammo for at least a couple of years of practice.

But there are plenty of signs that our world is moving into uncharted territory - so how much ammo is enough may well need adjustment upwards.

In reality, your ammo stockpile, is only ever too large, if it is on fire.

·
Retired Army
6,654 Posts
One thing about pistols. The main reason we carry them is the convenience of having something small enough to put in a holster. This is so we don't have to have a big cumbersome long gun slung across our back while going about our daily business, and so we can keep them hidden in "polite" society.

During SHTF pretty much everybody knows the rules are gonna change. Those who don't will learn quickly, so walking around "looking" like you're not armed to the teeth isn't really going to fool anyone. Most savvy individuals are just gonna think "this person is hiding their weapon" when they spot you, and they're gonna figure out it's probably NOT a long gun.

For this reason, I think having a handgun post SHTF should follow the same rules as it does now.

1. Get something you're comfy with.
2. Get something you can hit the target with.
3. Get something you have plenty of ammo for.
4. Get something powerful enough (for a pistol) to stop a threat.
5. It should have a light. (night sights too if possible)
6. Get a good holster, and belt.
7. Have extra mags /speed loaders.
8. It should still be considered a secondary means of armament, for those times you CAN'T carry a long gun, or as backup to a long gun.

I don't think anyone will be surprised one bit to see people walking around with long guns post SHTF. Actions speak louder than words. Is that long gun slung over the shoulder as the person walks down the trail on their way somewhere, or does it look like they're sneaking around on dismounted patrol? You should ALWAYS have a hand gun, but post SHTF is gonna be different, and if you leave camp... you're gonna want to have a long gun with you as well.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
The scary thing is, that advice was not just hypothetical, because ammo shortages had already happened in recent years. Despite this, many still had not prepared.
Any gun owner who isn’t at least budgeting even for a box or two of ammo a month (before this latest issue) is part of the problem. Ammo manufacturers will produce based on demand and it's hard to invest in more production if the demand isn't consistent. While I typically have always just purchased a case or two a month, when I was home and around town, I would almost always buy a box or two from various stores I frequented.

I do agree, there are some with legitimate issues, my son being one of them, who couldn’t purchase pistol ammo until he was 21. I do find the irony that those complaining about prices now, never prioritized buying it when it was cheaper before. I’m not talking about bulk purchases either. If you shoot through a couple of boxes, buy four boxes every time you go to the range…there are so many ways to stock up, budget simply is a poor excuse as it’s not necessarily the cost (before now), it was about priorities. If you have a pay-period every two weeks, a box of 50 rounds purchased every paycheck would be over a 1000 rounds a year. So, even on a budget, you can do it if it's important (and that was when a regular box of 9mm ball was anywhere between $8-15).

I actually wish I had more ammo. Not for me, but I constantly get requests for some training or to shoot for familiarization…but they can’t afford or find the ammo right now. I’ll use some of mine and have, but it’s very limited opportunities for close family or friends (usually their kids).

This “crises” will normalize to some degree and prices will drop some (doubtful if pre-2020 prices) and stocks will be up. We will all put out deals on bulk ammo and remind others to stock up now…they will agree, but fail to do so…and the next crisis that drives up prices and reduces stocks, they will be the first to complain about gouging, limited ammo, or unrealistic prices.

Hopefully a couple will actually listen…

ROCK6

·
Registered
54 Posts
except primers are 300 dollars a thousand and powder 200 a pound and the only place you can get them is buy old stuff at gun broker
I stay far away from Gun Broker. The same place where ammo scalpers are pushing bags of loose steel case 9mm like it was dope. And a Glock 19 with half a magazine cost $1,500. No thanks. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
A pistol is an excellent means to get you to your rifle.

I think most people have unrealistic views of what ranges they can effectively do battle with a handgun.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
My sheriff's captain instructed me to learn to shoot from the hip.
Chances are you will experience being ambushed, and in that event there is no time for all the fancy stances men invent to shoot more accurately.
So even my practice using CO2 pellet guns I practice shooting from the hip, usually at tin cans seeing they are very responsive, that is until they are so perforated your putting bullets through holes.
The precision with which one can place a round does a better job at making each round count and in the kind of event we are talking about it is all the more critical.
Seeing I have both semiautos and revolvers, I practice with both. Another reason for this kind of training is tha in the dark you might only see a silhouette or a muzzle flash. if you are wasting time to discern the target you may well die.
Second, Have some first aid training and know how to stop the bleeding when you've been hit.
thirdly ambidexterity ,
If your primary hand is damaged or otherwise occupied one needs to be equally skilled with their off hand.
4th, Pray if you got em

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Shooting (accurately) from the hip takes a LOT of practice (ammo $$$$ and time) and absent such practice is really more spray and pray. Something that might help from a break contact perspective but not so good for actually ending the threat at any kind of distance. It is better to take a few seconds to aim then to empty your gun firing wildly.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I was taught to use hip shooting only from contact to ten feet as a weapon retention precaution, to use flash sight picture with weapon silhouette point and arm extended from 10-30 feet and aimed fire beyond 10 yards, firing double-action at all ranges, even to 50 yards and beyond.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I stay far away from Gun Broker. The same place where ammo scalpers are pushing bags of loose steel case 9mm like it was dope. And a Glock 19 with half a magazine cost $1,500. No thanks. 🤣🤣🤣
I look for obscure pieces there from time to time, but readily available guns and ammo? Fergitaboutit....

·
Registered
54 Posts
A pistol is an excellent means to get you to your rifle.

I think most people have unrealistic views of what ranges they can effectively do battle with a handgun.
That saying can go to anyone of use. We all may have our ideas what might happen but will never know the full context of it all. There’s valid reasons why someone may want to go handgun only. Long guns are great for doing damage but if you live in a major population center and there’s still rule of law around you, those “suspicious” items can get you in more trouble than they’re worth. Think a elderly woman who’s ignorant to firearms and only know of them from TV, and she points you out. Or like in Katrina when people were shooting guns in the air to signal people for help, the police could take you with your rifle as a threat.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts