Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I look good in tin foil
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering why our gas prices were pushed so high a year or so ago, with no reason other than "speculators", because nothing had changed to impact supply/demand.... and now we have a true tragedy in the gulf and gas prices remain stable.....
This is just one of my latest "ah ha" moments....
would anyone care to share some of their "I am not a rocket scientist, but even I know this doesnt make sense" moments....

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
Gas prices are dropping now because of the economic worries with Europe and the backlash it may have in the US.

The price of gas/crude oil is only affected by, if someone is buying it or selling it. If they are buying it, the price goes up. If they are selling it, the price goes down.

The question is, why are they buying or selling. Usually when there appears to be an interuption in flow people will buy and the price goes up. This leads you to think the shortage is causing the price increase. Even with the gulf mess, people are selling because of concern with the European markets and how that might affect the US markets. That's why the price is dropping.

This is also the reason the price of oil goes up in the winter, regardless of supply. Investors can get paid on profits the oil companies make. You know the need for heating oil is greater in the winter so they start to buy. Which in turn raises the price. You can also see this (usually) for a couple of weeks in the summer when everyone is on vacation and travelling the country using up gas.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
. and now we have a true tragedy in the gulf and gas prices remain stable.....
Probably because the American public is irate about the oil spill right now, and an increase at the pump would be enough to bring out the pitch forks ,torches and hanging ropes for BP executives. Gas is down .24 cent over the last couple weeks here in OH. Was $2.85 now $2.61

Don't worry, BP will get back every penny from us ,eventually.

My question is-why did gas go to $ 4.00 a year before Bush left office , then suddenly drop to $1.85 right before election time?

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
On the news (BBC) the other day there was a lot of talk about the drop in the value of the Euro.
Just as it was about the move on this talking head popped up and said it's not all bad. Seems as the Euro drops exports increase as foreign money will buy more.
That being the case seems it would be the same here in the US. I wonder just how much lobbying power these Mega corps have. Not a lot of incentive from them to support the dollar to come back if sales are up.

It does "appear" our dear pres is coming down on the Mega corps and what it will cost us?

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
I am wondering why our gas prices were pushed so high a year or so ago, with no reason other than "speculators", because nothing had changed to impact supply/demand.... and now we have a true tragedy in the gulf and gas prices remain stable.....
This is just one of my latest "ah ha" moments....
would anyone care to share some of their "I am not a rocket scientist, but even I know this doesnt make sense" moments....
I read that the well in the gulf was exploratory and the oil harvested was not counted on the world market. Therefore it would not affect the price of oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.