Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
The survivalist mentality. Which is the spirit of self sufficiency, of doing things for yourself. It's about utilizing the resources around you, which in the case of this forum, are ample, rather than asking people to spoon feed you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
a miracle. We are out of time IMO.
Stop it. People have been crying wolf since I joined this site. Tomorrow won't be the end of the world. Being afraid won't help.

To the op, focus on food, water, and security. If you don't have a gun, consider it. If you have one, grab some extra ammo. Get enough food and water for 72 hours and then keep adding as you are able to. Rice and beans are cheap and store well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Stop it. People have been crying wolf since I joined this site. Tomorrow won't be the end of the world. Being afraid won't help.

To the op, focus on food, water, and security. If you don't have a gun, consider it. If you have one, grab some extra ammo. Get enough food and water for 72 hours and then keep adding as you are able to. Rice and beans are cheap and store well.
Who says I meant tomorrow?

Even with 2 years, most people realistically couldn't get ready. Two years to total collapse is about my time frame. That still means we are out of time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Who says I meant tomorrow?

Even with 2 years, most people realistically couldn't get ready. Two years to total collapse is about my time frame. That still means we are out of time.
I got ready in less than two years. Of course I still add supplies and refine plans, but one to two years is plenty of time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got ready in less than two years. Of course I still add supplies and refine plans, but one to two years is plenty of time.
Well I suppose this depends on your definition of "ready". It also depends on what you start with, your housing situation, income bracket, family, etc.

If a single man, working as an attorney making $150K a year, who inherited an estate . . .sure. That person could be ready fast.

If you are a high school diploma but no college educated man (or woman) with 3 kids, and a job making 45K a year (National average maybe?), and you live in a duplex in the city . . . you'd have a harder time.

I bet that 2 years, for the AVERAGE person with a family starting with basically nothing, isn't enough time to be fully prepared.

( I define fully prepared as food, water, defense, waste management, and other necessary supplies for 1 year for everyone in the family)

What say you to that?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well I suppose this depends on your definition of "ready". It also depends on what you start with, your housing situation, income bracket, family, etc.

If a single man, working as an attorney making $150K a year, who inherited an estate . . .sure. That person could be ready fast.

If you are a high school diploma but no college educated man (or woman) with 3 kids, and a job making 45K a year (National average maybe?), and you live in a duplex in the city . . . you'd have a harder time.

I bet that 2 years, for the AVERAGE person with a family starting with basically nothing, isn't enough time to be fully prepared.

( I define fully prepared as food, water, defense, waste management, and other necessary supplies for 1 year for everyone in the family)

What say you to that?
Mountainman,

You pretty well summed it up. A lot goes into planning and many considerations have to be dealt with. Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
JMO but it all depends where you live city will be different then the country cold climates different then warm. see if there are any groups in your area in the city it will be safty in numbers in the country not so much. JMO

·
Registered
995 Posts
JMO but it all depends where you live city will be different then the country cold climates different then warm. see if there are any groups in your area in the city it will be safty in numbers in the country not so much. JMO
Jimbowie1,

Yes, where you live makes a BIG difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Ok here goes:

Heres my anacronym that I used to help me do a BOB (bug out bag):

FACES SM

Fire
Aqueous / water
Clothes
Edibles
Shelter

Security
Miscellaneous (sewing kit, Fa kit, medicines and prescriptions, DIY kit, Hygiene kit)

Look up the following on this site and on You Tube:

BOB (Bug Out Bag) / 72 hour kits
GHB (Get Home Bags)
EDC (Every Day Carry)
Food storage/prepping
Fire starting
Water purification
Shelter building
Knifes
Multi tools
Swiss Army knives (SAK)
First Aid
Bushcraft
Survivalism
SHTF (s**t hit the fan)

Survivalistboards does have a wonderful channel on You Tube and there are lots and lots of other postees that are quite brilliant (Patriot Nurse is great of medical stuff).

Start with Water as you can only live 3 days without it, and then work from there.

Youv made a great start just being on this forum. Dont panic, just sit down and work out from the above what you need, work out a budget and work down the list.

If youv got some good camping gear your probably ahead of the game already.

·
Registered
781 Posts

What say you to that?
I'm pretty much the average family. I guess I made better choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts