Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
LOL. Here in Michigan, feral pigs are on year-round open season for anyone with a valid hunting license (of any type). Pigs aren't native to Michigan, but now can be found in every county in the state.. They escaped from hunting ranches and have gone wild.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There estimate over a million of the nasty buggars here in Texas. They sure will foul op a pasture.

·
legendary ape
471 Posts
They are in wisconsin now as well. A few counties are haveing open hunting but many are failing to recegnize the threat. Even as farmers are screaming at the DNR(people who won't listen) and anyone who will listen(other farmers and hunters) to do something.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just trying to figure out where they got the belt-bet weapons on the mule.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that, but in texas those things have become a huge problem for land owners and farmers. They are agressive towards people and livestock. They will consume an entire crop and cause Billions in damages and lost crops each year.

They breed exponentially. One sow can have three litters of 10 piglets each years and the piglets reach sexual maturity within a year.

They also dominate the food resources with indigenous species such as deer--often driving them completely out of an area.

Feral Pigs are destructive and foul creatures. They have become a pestilence. The history or Discovery channel recent ran a show called "Pig Bomb." It was about the explosive scourge of feral pigs. Watch it if you can--you may look at them in a much different light

Besides, there are programs here in TX to donate meat from hunts to the hungry. I like to think thats where that much meat went.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i'd hope the meat went to the needy. right now with swine flu i doubt they are taking it.

i always think what a blessing in disguise those kinda animals are gonna be when food gets scarce! in the northeast we dont have enough wildlife to support the people. people here will be eating roadkill, crows, turkey vultures, porcupines, skunks, etc.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'd hope the meat went to the needy. right now with swine flu i doubt they are taking it.

i always think what a blessing in disguise those kinda animals are gonna be when food gets scarce! in the northeast we dont have enough wildlife to support the people. people here will be eating roadkill, crows, turkey vultures, porcupines, skunks, etc.
They can be tricky to prepare because of the gamey flavor it has. The best eating ones are th piglets or the dry sows that are 175 lbs or less. The boars are just nasty and the big sows are kinda tough.

The nursing sows are OK--depends on how much they are nursing. Some taste fine, others are kind of sour.

The meat on them is best slow-cooked in a smoker or a crock pot with a heavy, rich sauce to cover the gamey taste. The ribs taste good on the grill, but they are tough.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
we dont have any wild pigs here and dont think we want any ether,they reintroduced wild turkeys years ago and now there out of control and speading eatting up crops.thinking about it i dont see how wild hogs could servive up here during the winters deep snow and cold up here.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we dont have any wild pigs here and dont think we want any ether,they reintroduced wild turkeys years ago and now there out of control and speading eatting up crops.thinking about it i dont see how wild hogs could servive up here during the winters deep snow and cold up here.
I like wild turkey. The next time you get one, try this receipe for Wild Turkey wild turkey. I usually substitute Crown Royal for the Wild Turkey.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/r/blgame5.htm

1 - 20 of 71 Posts