Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There's nothing to eat."

That is what I hear frequently in my house. Not because the cupboard is bare, but because I stock few if any ready-to-eat convenience foods in my everyday and survival stockpile.

My wife and family just don't want to go to the effort to cook anything. Even opening a can is too difficult at times. Cooking pasta and heating up a jar of sauce is also too much.

I shy away from most prepared foods (boxed mixes, frozen dinners, etc.) for the obvious cost and health reasons and have extensive stocks of basic staples. We do have quite a few canned goods as well. But it's beans, basic veggies, soups, chili, etc.

So how do all of you deal with this complaint? I can't be the first prepper to experience this. I am interested i your perspectives.

·
Registered
638 Posts
How did we get to the point where people expect food to be pre-made? When did take out take the place of home made? When I was growing up my mother never thought of buying frozen dinners or boxed food. We NEVER picked up take out. She cooked everything from scratch. Her home baked bread was amazing. Everything she made was great. Now when my family is hungry they want their food NOW. I often run out for take out. My son loves frozen dinners. I am a good cook, but he just wants to eat and go back to his room. Right now I have a pork roast in the crock pot. It was going to be for dinner, but no one wants it tonight. I will put BBQ sauce on it and turn it into pulled pork for tomorrow. I miss the family dinners that we had when I was a child.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I'm not sure how to inspire folks to cook. I've always loved to cook. I have my son hooked on cooking. Partially by making good stuff to eat,..and partly by challenging him to prepare a meal for the family. Now he likes cooking and grilling AND gardening.
We bounce recipies off each other. He's recently decided to become the family expert on oriental cooking and sushi..and it's delicious! I'm responding with Indian dishes (love curry).
We make it fun. Oh, my wife is a great cook as well. Good southern dishes.
Make it a family project if you can. Make it a challenge, a contest, with a prize for best dish or something.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
VC...how true!

My son (15) always wants me to oder a $25 pizza for him and his friends. I don't mind doing that every once in a while but not 3 times a week.

I have somewhere around 5K worth of food in this house but sometimes were so damn tired to cook.

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
Scared of the Microwave

My son is three, but when he says, "there is nothing to eat." I respond with, "You are not hungry."

Secondly, I cook a lot in the microwave, there are some things that don't work that well. Just google "Microwave Cookbook." A person can cook with limited time or effort. I started using mine more often when Wife and I decided to simplify.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
3 older teenage daughters and their friends, when I make dinner its normally a one pot stew or chili etc, with just enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.

My kids are old enough to earn extra money and most of it goes to junk food and clothes (were we really any different at that age) The nice thing is they are , for the most conscious about what there eating and do not overindulge too much.

Baking is big at my house so cookies and cakes are baked here, not store bought. So are homemade pizzas, now what my wife and I did to encourage this type of a-typical behavior in my young ones is beyond me. I am happy they realize that everything in moderation extends to the food choices they make.

on a side note, my family, in general, shy away from discussing prepping and survival issues, they don’t see a SHTF scenario happening, however the way I really got them ALL motivated is I started renting "zombie" movies and then presenting them with “what if’s” about what they would do, where they would go if a zombie attack happened.

Now all my kids have a BOB just in case of a zombie attack. <shaking head>

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
When I was growing up if you didn't eat what we had you didn't eat.
or if you didn't clean your plate that's what you had for your next meal.

SHTF and there will be only what you have best they get use to it. Cause Dingle dine down the street may never open again.

Its better for you, cheaper and you actually know what it is and who had their hands(or whatever?!) on it.

So buck up now cause it ain't going to get any easier.....

·
Board Supporter
2,052 Posts
How did we get to the point where people expect food to be pre-made? When did take out take the place of home made? When I was growing up my mother never thought of buying frozen dinners or boxed food. We NEVER picked up take out. She cooked everything from scratch. Her home baked bread was amazing. Everything she made was great. Now when my family is hungry they want their food NOW. I often run out for take out. My son loves frozen dinners. I am a good cook, but he just wants to eat and go back to his room. Right now I have a pork roast in the crock pot. It was going to be for dinner, but no one wants it tonight. I will put BBQ sauce on it and turn it into pulled pork for tomorrow. I miss the family dinners that we had when I was a child.
You know, this has happened in the past at my house when I was married before ... he passed away ... but everyone just grabbed stuff to eat. Things are different now ... my other half and I, along with his son of almost 19, sit down to dinner together. We decided the family was going to eat one meal together without the television or radio. I like it a lot better. If you, as the adult, put your foot down and say this is the way it is going to be ... or you have two options ... Starve or Move out, get your own place and make your own rules. It will amaze you just how fast they will come around to your way of thinking. YOU ARE THE ADULT, YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING THE BILLS, therefore, YOU RULE! Feel the power!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whenever I make a pot of chili, spaghetti sauce, soup, stew or whatever I make a HUGE pot. While it's cooking I get out the canner & jars. I always make enough to eat on for a couple days and enough to can up 8 quarts. It doesn't take any longer to cook a bunch at a time and I always have wonderful home-made canned meals ready to grab. For other dishes like lasagne, burritos etc. same thing. Make a huge batch, cut into serving sizes when cool, wrap and stack in the freezer. Get the family involved one boring weekend and make a bunch of pot pies or pizza for the freezer. Get creative. It's fun. Pretend there are no convenience foods, only your own ingenuity. I know most people live crazy busy lifestyles but it's rediculous to pay 10x the price for packaged foods that have little or no value and are full of harmful chemicals to boot.
I have grown, gathered, stored and cooked nearly all my family's food for so many years. I know exactly what's in it and how it was prepared. The thought of eating "food" some snot-nosed high school dropout putting together god-knows-what behind a drive-thru window gags me.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
I was amazed to find frozen peanut butter / jelly sandwiches frozen premade at the store. People are too lazy to make their own sandwiches.

Let them die. No problem.
I was waiting for a connecting flight in an airport in Kansas City (i think, im correct in the city don’t hold me to this) and there right in the food court was a shop that sold nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I laughed out loud (I was probably still woozy from the xanax) This is the height of laziness.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Whenever I make a pot of chili, spaghetti sauce, soup, stew or whatever I make a HUGE pot. While it's cooking I get out the canner & jars. I always make enough to eat on for a couple days and enough to can up 8 quarts. It doesn't take any longer to cook a bunch at a time and I always have wonderful home-made canned meals ready to grab. For other dishes like lasagne, burritos etc. same thing. Make a huge batch, cut into serving sizes when cool, wrap and stack in the freezer. Get the family involved one boring weekend and make a bunch of pot pies or pizza for the freezer. Get creative. It's fun. Pretend there are no convenience foods, only your own ingenuity. I know most people live crazy busy lifestyles but it's rediculous to pay 10x the price for packaged foods that have little or no value and are full of harmful chemicals to boot.
I have grown, gathered, stored and cooked nearly all my family's food for so many years. I know exactly what's in it and how it was prepared. The thought of eating "food" some snot-nosed high school dropout putting together god-knows-what behind a drive-thru window gags me.

Very good idea, I dont have a pressure canner yet so I cant can sauces with meat, but its on the list for Santa this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
on a side note, my family, in general, shy away from discussing prepping and survival issues, they don’t see a SHTF scenario happening, however the way I really got them ALL motivated is I started renting "zombie" movies and then presenting them with “what if’s” about what they would do, where they would go if a zombie attack happened.

Now all my kids have a BOB just in case of a zombie attack. <shaking head>
Whatever works, man. This is probably the best advice on how to bring up the subject without sounding like a weirdo I've heard.

Get any movie where people have to scrape a living out of the ground and start talking about how much more difficult it would really be, get them thinking.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Americans are so lazy they can't even get out of a car to get a cheeseburger
There's a drive up window for that

Let alone cook some sort of a meal

If you can't microwave it or eat it out of a bag, then it's too much work

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
My son loves frozen dinners. I am a good cook, but he just wants to eat and go back to his room. Right now I have a pork roast in the crock pot. It was going to be for dinner, but no one wants it tonight. I will put BBQ sauce on it and turn it into pulled pork for tomorrow. I miss the family dinners that we had when I was a child.
Why do you let them act like that? You are not a short order cook. Make them come to the table or let them go hungry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We decided the family was going to eat one meal together without the television or radio. I like it a lot better. If you, as the adult, put your foot down and say this is the way it is going to be ... or you have two options ... Starve or Move out, get your own place and make your own rules. It will amaze you just how fast they will come around to your way of thinking. YOU ARE THE ADULT, YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING THE BILLS, therefore, YOU RULE! Feel the power!!!!:cool:
That's how I was raised, and to this day when our core family sits down for meals the tv is off, and the food on the table is what there is to eat. There was no other choice, if us kids didn't like it we went to our room and went hungry.

These days it's just me and Herr Doberman, in winter the crockpot is my friend, and summer it's the outdoor grill. I usually bake a couple loaves of bread on Sunday mornings for the week. Most times I make a crockpot meal on Sundays as well that last four days or so, then cook up some ground venison in various dishes for the rest of the week. The summer is always grill night and grilled veggies to go with. I never have easy food on hand, mainly for health reasons since it seems processed food is not only cheap but full of crap you don't want inside you. When I get the urge to snack often times I do without till mealtime. But I am healthy, well fed, and not overweight.

More people need to have a kitchen where you have to cook to eat in my opinion. :thumb:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very good idea, I dont have a pressure canner yet so I cant can sauces with meat, but its on the list for Santa this year.
Oh definitely get that canner! The only thing I buy in a can is evaporated milk (love it in my coffee). Besides being so much cheaper to can your own foods, the chemicals used to line the cans of processed foods are horrendous. And, there's nothing more satisfying for the soul.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts