Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As - https://www.3mscott.com/products/cylinders/

Aluminum pressure vessel with carbon fiber overwrap. Most are 2216psi 30min air capacity or 4500psi 45min capacity. Fixed 15yr life and then retired from service. After 15yrs can not be hydrotested (which DOT reg requires every 5yr).

The valve threads into the cylinder. Valve CAN be reused in new cylinder which saves the FD about $35 on a new $1100 complete unit. So most FD don't bother.

You can have PILES of recently decommissioned for little to nothing. Thousands purchased in early 2000 are now outdated annually. Salvage yards (some) will take them but have to melt the AL out. Then have a pile for carbon fiber mess to landfill. Perhaps the carbon fiber has a secondary use?

Internal volume of 45min 4500psi us 418in3 wt 15lb so "some" flotation.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
They make great targets, a volunteer FD I was installing a heater at gave me 4 old tanks long time ago, the valves had already been removed I drilled a 1/2 hole in the bottoms and drove a 1/2 rebar through them to hold the tanks in place.
At 100 yards a .556 will sound off a nice report when it hits and the tanks last forever

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
One of our Department's shop guys uses them for compressed air storage in his race car trailer. He has several connected in a bank so he has air at the track without running a generator or gas powered compressor.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,138 Posts
Seen them filled with whatever is handy and cheap to be used as weights for the easyup type canopies. The don't degrade in the sun like plastic buckets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wonder of you could use one of the adapters that you fill the 1lb propane tanks to fill these (with the right valve) to use with a Coleman propane stove or lantern.

Or use them as intended, but as a home rescue option. Fill with air as the FD would and keep at locations in the home in case of fire. I am sure a simple O2 mask could be rigged up to last long enough to let you get out of a fire. My question is why can they not be hydrotested after 15 years? If just regs, you could test them yourself routinely.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
I use them for a variety of things...primarily as an air source for my SCBA's

And as for compressed air for filling tires etc. A lot easier to carry in the backseat than an air compressor

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.... My question is why can they not be hydrotested after 15 years? If just regs, you could test them yourself routinely.
NO you can NOT hydrotest a 2216psi or 4500psi pressure cylinder in your kitchen. Fed DOT has mandated a 15yr retirement date. Woe unto the FD that ignores this or has an "incident".

Reality is that there has not been a failure of an undamaged SCBA cylinder (by visual inspection). In eurp there is no 15yr limit though their cylinders are slightly different with thicker inner Al shell.

·
Combat marxism Now!
7,981 Posts
It seems a little ingenuity could go a long way with such a thing. One could make a water fire extinguisher, like the old days, or a pair of tanks, one with air, and one with liquid for spraying weed killer at a very high rate.

Or for storage of extra fuel for travel, without the constant fuel smell associated with plastic jugs. Who knows?

I've seen people use them as "tire fillers" they put 125PSI in the SCBA tank and hook a short hose and tire chuck. It's big enough to top off a few tires.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you familiar with the book Security Storage Containers ? (See attachment) The idea is to cut the top off, then add a flange and blank plate, to make a cache container. Works with any size gas cylinder, but aluminum requires special welding rods to attach flange.
Welding on would not be a recommended activity. Alum inner shell with a carbon fiber/epoxy resin overwrap. Burning out the epoxy likely not good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts