Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's costing me ZERO to heat my home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put in a wood burner last year and I'm loving it. It's a nice 72 degrees in here, I just went down and checked on it and it feels like a breath from hell coming out of that thing.

I just got my FIRST utility bill yesterday and it was $114...normally it would have been $350-$450 this time of the year:thumb:

January and Febuary are the worst....so far I have not had to kick the furnace on at all the year:)

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
nice, I considered it, but this house is in the burbs, class "B" chimney and no wood unless you buy it, so I added a blower to my gas fireplace, and a clean burning gas stove to the basement area. dropped my bills by 1/3.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Registered
33,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice, I considered it, but this house is in the burbs, class "B" chimney and no wood unless you buy it, so I added a blower to my gas fireplace, and a clean burning gas stove to the basement area. dropped my bills by 1/3.
Nice...I bet you get some big bills up there in Kalamazoo. Your about 4 hours
north of me...maybe 5 hours

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Nice...I bet you get some big bills up there in Kalamazoo. Your about 4 hours
north of me...maybe 5 hours
5.5 to dayton, I have family there. They actualy just left to head back down came up for the weekend. When we go down this spring Ill buy you a beer at skyline chilli. :thumb:

·
Registered
33,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5.5 to dayton, I have family there. They actualy just left to head back down came up for the weekend. When we go down this spring Ill buy you a beer at skyline chilli. :thumb:
Okay...well I'm 25 minutes south of Dayton.

Just let me know when your down....I can meet you for some wings and beer or skyline.......

really let me know-

·
Christian
39,501 Posts

Just let me know when your down....I can meet you for some wings and beer or skyline.......

really let me know-
done. anyone else down that way, I'll buy the first round of beer.

·
Registered
233 Posts

really let me know-
LOL @ Skyline. I'm about a half-hour from Cincy in Northern KY, and I'm pretty sure most members here don't know what you guys are talking about.

I've heard of people from Cincinnati going to chili joints in other parts of the country and asking for a "3-way", only to be slapped by the waitress. :eek:

·
Registered
33,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL @ Skyline. I'm about a half-hour from Cincy in Northern KY, and I'm pretty sure most members here don't know what you guys are talking about.

I've heard of people from Cincinnati going to chili joints in other parts of the country and asking for a "3-way", only to be slapped by the waitress. :eek:
TOooooooooooo funny!

Hey neighbor, I guess in this case I would really be a freak cause I always get a 5-way!!!:thumb:

Yep, I know that when I go out of town, it's hard to leave the Chili capital of the world.

·
Registered
33,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
done. anyone else down that way, I'll buy the first round of beer.

I know of a least 3 that lives close but they aren't regular posters...we'll check around on the boards to see who might want to get together...may do some shooting at a local range

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Same with us. Heat with nat gas. In suburbs. No woodlot on my postage stamp property.

But my wife and I are working on becoming heating self-sufficient one day soon elsewhere like Ohioman. :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

I put in a wood burner last year and I'm loving it. It's a nice 72 degrees in here, I just went down and checked on it and it feels like a breath from hell coming out of that thing.

I just got my FIRST utility bill yesterday and it was $114...normally it would have been $350-$450 this time of the year:thumb:

January and Febuary are the worst....so far I have not had to kick the furnace on at all the year:)
i miss wood burning stove grew up chopping wood for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Ohioman
Great to hear that your enjoying your wood heat. I have to wonder how its costing you zero however. Im assuming your not counting your labor, tools, gas/oil. If so thats fine, not trying to pick a fight. Just wondering.

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
when i buy myself a house it will have a wood burning stove, i too currently live in a small area. i scrounge for wood. im always on the lookout for wood.. have a nice shed full.

wood burning stoves produce a ton of heat. smart.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
what I would really like to do is not only heat with wood, but pick up a wood burning cook stove and a way to at least pre-heat water , solar pumps could be setup for under floor circulation for heat too. Its there why waste it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I laughed at the people at the EOC (Economic Opportunity Council) handout for home heating assistance. Aside from them being obese and burning up cell phone time and gas in their second-hand SUV's I wondered if they couldn't use a wood stove instead. I thought about where they could get wood. They can't unless they rip down an old building- and how many of those are there capable of being destroyed? What about wood pellets?

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts

Congrats! That's quite a money saver. Nothing like the feel of wood heat either.

I guess I hadn't thought much about how much it costs to heat a home in the colder climates. I grumble when my gas bill hits $85 in the winter! :D:

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Both my brothers live in Mississippi, and for years now have tried to get me and my family to move down there.

We simply don't care for the extreme heat, and there is something inherently wrong with the thought of insects that could kill me just because I decided to open the wrong door to a storage shed.

I always tell them, you have hurricanes, doesn’t that bother you? And they reply, you have blizzards, and I say, yes but I have never been asked to evacuate my home because of an impending blizzard..... We are happy in Michigan, LOL :)

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I'm with ya Saint. It's much easier to dress for and deal with extreme cold than it is extreme heat and humidity when there is no electricity.

Both my brothers live in Mississippi, and for years now have tried to get me and my family to move down there.

We simply don't care for the extreme heat, and there is something inherently wrong with the thought of insects that could kill me just because I decided to open the wrong door to a storage shed.

I always tell them, you have hurricanes, doesn’t that bother you? And they reply, you have blizzards, and I say, yes but I have never been asked to evacuate my home because of an impending blizzard..... We are happy in Michigan, LOL :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts