Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old saying is, there are two types of people in this world and those are the talkers and then there are the doers. The doers are the ones who change the world. You may have heard this saying before, but it is absolutely true.

I see a lot of scenario planning, what would you do if this or that happened and someone would do this or that if that happened. Let us face it, you truly only know what you will do when the time comes. Either you will be a doer and do something to change the situation you are in or you will be hiding.

Those who think (or talk a lot) about planning to build something in the future are not doing it. Once you start doing it then you are a doer, until then you are a talker. Once you start getting your fingers in the dirt and build a bunker then you are a doer. Once you start doing something to change your situation then you are a doer.

How can we put this into a worldly view in a more realistic fashion?
Difference between Americans and Greece for example is they are doing something to change their way of life by going into the streets and demanding those who are corrupt be arrested. Americans are all talk and instead of doing something to change their situation they hide.

How do I see what will happen during a disaster in America? I see a lot of people will be hiding from those who will be doing what ever they can to survive. Only when it comes through the front door will some do anything about it. Others will continue to hide while their homes are looted.

America is in a mess, far worse then Greece, but you don't see anyone on the streets protesting. The reason is because America is a bunch of talkers and not doers. What this tells me is most of America will hide instead of do something about their situation when SHTF. The criminals, gang members and those who have done something before will be the doers and that should worry you that they will be the only doers when SHTF and it won't be in your benefit either. Perhaps Americans are so used to having someone else do the Doing for them they will expect someone to save them when SHTF as well.

Not to rattle some cages, but just making a point here. Without someone giving you orders to do something, are you capable of doing something for yourself when SHTF? Are you capable of doing something to change the situation before SHTF? Are you really a doer or just a talker?

I say time will tell. When things get from bad to worse and from worse to a nightmare, where will you stand or will you be hiding?

This is not pointed at just Americans, but the entire world. I do know there are many out there who are doers (veterans especially), but for those who have had it all handy a block away (groceries, water, a running toilet, freedoms for granted, police to call when you need them, the welfare checks, the monthly paychecks, etc), but what happens when it is all no more and you have to choose to be either doing something to survive or just hiding. Do you have it in you do to be a doer?

The last thing is, if you are a doer then is there anything you can do now right this moment to change things to make this situation turn around to your benefit and change the world around you.

Planning is good, but its all worthless until you do something.

What is the point here?

People talk of moving out of the city and getting to a safer location. Talk is just talk. What is holding you back?

People talk of building bunkers and shelters. If you have a shovel and a few pieces of wood, are you doing it?

People talk of setting up defensive perimeters, but are they doing it?

People talk of learning self defense. Are they doing it?

People talk of getting into shape to deal with the future disasters. Future disasters happen without warning at anytime, but are you doing it?

Just about 1 in 5 posts are planning, they plan to do this or that, thinking of doing this or that, but make a plan and get to it. What I am saying here is time is getting short to plan and start doing. SHTF will not happen 5 years from now, but it can happen at any time. This isn't just preparedness, but everything in life and even with our current situation in the world. The disasters are all around us and it is affecting us even now. There is much more to cover, but without getting into every single subject and writing a book, I think the point has been made. We can either talk all day or do something to change our situation in the current and future disasters.

If you are a doer, then don't be offended. I don't want anyone offended, this is just a wake up call and something to think about.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Valid points.
However some peoples speed or level of motivation would be considered obsessive by others.
It’s all about the perceived threat and the most likely timeline.
To each their own.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is a difference between those who would like to do something(planners), and those who have means(doers). There are some would are leaders(doers), and some who need a nudge(planners). The next year will be interesting once hyperinflation starts hitting people in the face. There are many who think we are not there yet as a country in crisis.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Everything starts with planning. I consider myself a doer, cause regardless of the criticism I get out there and test my gear and myself, and see what does and and doesn't work, if it works great, its SOP, but if it could use improvement, then back to the planning stages. Good post, But for the majority I doubt it will change anything.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
And here I thought this was going to be a poll, or a Home Depot thread.

I've got to believe that, by virtue of a person posting here in the first place, that they're a doer.

I'm a doer.

I wanted to learn about guns. Bought one, learned to shoot it, learned to do a trigger job on it, learned to detail strip it and reassemble it. Bought another, different caliber, same learning curve. Did it.

Decided I needed some AR-15s. Stripped lowers. Assemble. Did it.

Decided that learning to reload ammo was desirable. Read about it, bought books, bought equipment, learned it. Did it.

Needed a supply of water. Studied it, read things online, looked at options, now have filters, calcium hypochlorite, stored water. Did it.

Needed a supply of food. Long term. Studied it. Evaluated options. Bought literally dozens of buckets, mylar bags, O2 absorbers. Bought bulk wheat, rice, beans, potato flakes, oat groats, popcorn, dried milk, pasta, flour. Stocked canned goods. Bought Ghee, have canned cheese coming, have 20# green Columbian coffee beans ordered at local coffee shop for long term storage. Doing it.

Decided I needed to learn to can food. Read up on it, read reviews, read information here, bought All American pressure canner, bought jars and lids and equipment. Did some canning to learn the process. Bought some Tattler reusable canning lids. Have a couple hundred canning jars, looking to add more. Did it, and doing it.

Became concerned about EMP. Stored sensitive equipment in Faraday Cage. Working on design for cage for generator using aluminum screen. Did it, and doing it.

Concerned about hyperinflation and asset protection. Stocked nickels. Currently sorting pennies to save the pre-1982 pennies (95% copper) as they're worth far more in melt value (2.7 cents) than their cost (1 cent). Sorted by hand at first, then with a coinalyzer, then bought a Ryedale. Currently doing it.

All of the above and more, BTW, in the last three years and 2 months.

And yes, when I have knowledge I pass it on here, so I talk about it as well. I'm a doer and a talker.

Yeah, I'm a doer. I can't imagine anyone here isn't a doer, with apologies to Home Depot.

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
I think the people who are waiting until the last minute to leave cities are in for a way harder time than they can imagine.
My advice is be a doer and get out now because you have a ton to do at your BOL and will have no mean$ to do it later.

I've been a doer a long time in getting my s__t together. I am not near as "prepared" for any eventuality as some but I think I am ready enough. It's all about the upgrading and tweeking now.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Besides using my topo maps I also refer to Google Earth for fast access to a sky view of my surroundings as well as where my rally points are and compare what I see to my maps and make additional notes. Im sure most have heard of this free tool to download but for those who havent , here is the link to the page where you can download it from. Its also a good boredom killer, can check out anything in the world, the 7 wonders, you can even find tagged sharks, whales, sea turtles, dolphins etc on there, not to mention ship and submarine wrecks for the fellow divers out there.

http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I like to talk while I do things! ;) Sorry couldn't resisit.
I was going to say that! I talk, mainly to myself, as I'm doing things. "What the heck am I doing here?" "There's GOT to be an easier way to do this!" "Well, THAT didn't go as planned..." :D:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Proper planning equals perfect performance.

I talk a lot until I understand - like verbal brainstorming, then I set my focus and wham get it done.

This Iv learnt the hard way over the years, being a bit of a hare, Iv wasted a lot of time and money. Now Iv learnt to take it slowly until the planning stage is done then bring in the speed, otherwise one falls over the laces youv forgotten to tie.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I'm a doer. That's why I joined this site....to learn how to do more. Yep, I talk about things I've yet to do. But I'm working on it. You have to understand that not everyone has unlimited funds, thus can't afford to do things as quickly as another might. Many of us do what we can, as we can afford it. Most things take money. I just dropped almost 2K on additional storage space. It put off the chicken coop and drought has postponed my garden. It'll get done. But right now, I suppose you could say I'm talking about doing. Just facts many deal with.

PS. Not everybody can build a bunker...although there are people here that do have them. I'm pretty sure Im not allowed to use dynamite to blast a hole in the rock here for a bunker, even in the rural setting I'm in. Just have to do without one. Besides, realistically....how many in the cities can build a bunker in their yard? Unfair to catagorize people that can't, or are unable to afford to build one as a talker, and not a doer. But I can talk about it all day, OK?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
We're doing all we can within our budget to increase our chances of survival.

Part of that is coming on here to learn and refine our plans. I would like to learn to do thing the best way the first time, so I won't have to waste limited resources by having to rip things apart and rebuild. People throw ideas out on the forums help others learn or to get feedback. It doesn't mean they are all talk.

The "What if..." threads can be useful if I learn something about a situation that hadn't crossed my mind before. Realistically though, I have seen alot of "what if's" that are just off the wall, over the top. Then I chuckle.

Also, revolution, standing up and protesting, or rioting in the streets isn't part of our survival plan. So, were doing nothing to prep in that direction. (stand and fight, change the world)

Further, I don't intend to live in a bunker. (hiding)

We do have a place to hunker down so far as storms go. We do have an evacuation plan in case of fire or flood. We have a place to meet if there is a need to bug out. But for now we're all talk in that respect since these situations haven't forced us yet. I think having a plan is doing something.

We keep our memberships current in gun owner associations (3 of them) to send a message to those who want to take away gun rights. We vote, my husband works every election at the polling place, we do talk with our local representatives when issues that are important to us are coming up for legislation.

I intend to avoid trouble, stay out of my neighbors business, live my life, stay under the radar, try not to break laws, stay out of jail, stay out of debt as much as possible. No matter the political or economic climate, my goal is to continue living a peaceful, productive life. I look at the news and ask myself "how does that affect my life?" and usually it does not at all. Unless it affect my life I have no need to act.

It sounded as if you are giving an either or situation, but our plan is to take the middle road.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I am actively researching Google maps for people growing small gardens, and warehouse distribution points for my raiding parties.

One of the first places I will go is to the local gun shops and sporting goods stores to check out all the firearms purchases, that way I will know who has what type of firearms and who is an easy target.

I also surf many of the survivalist type forums to see if I can pick up on Intel regarding who might have the mindset to become a raider and also who might be bragging about their BOL, BOV and preps and where they might be located.

They are not always manned 24/7. and as we all know alarm systems in the boondocks are a joke.

People are naturally proud of their accomplishments however most of us will not talk to others in person we will freely offer the info on line in the forums.

These threads are nice and informative but please remember OPSEC when you post to them, otherwise you might just be a target for mayhem ...like me...

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I am actively researching Google maps for people growing small gardens, and warehouse distribution points for my raiding parties.

One of the first places I will go is to the local gun shops and sporting goods stores to check out all the firearms purchases, that way I will know who has what type of firearms and who is an easy target.

I also surf many of the survivalist type forums to see if I can pick up on Intel regarding who might have the mindset to become a raider and also who might be bragging about their BOL, BOV and preps and where they might be located.

They are not always manned 24/7. and as we all know alarm systems in the boondocks are a joke.

People are naturally proud of their accomplishments however most of us will not talk to others in person we will freely offer the info on line in the forums.

These threads are nice and informative but please remember OPSEC when you post to them, otherwise you might just be a target for mayhem ...like me...
Sorry Saint....but you knew it was coming :D:
Better call AllState to protect you....

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts
Ohhh, I'm a talker for sure, never wanted to actually do anytihng, other than talk...It's an affliction of mine, just ask my wife, she'll verify it, she's a talker too..yap, yap, yap, all the fing time...never actually does anything..What's worse, is that i am surrounded by talkers too, my Mini-Schnauzer talks to me too, they're known as the "talking dogs," so I guess it's ok.....Now, the grandkids talk all the time too, kids, what'ya gonna do....I get paid to talk too, never really have to deliver on my promises, cause i can talk my way out of it, most of the time...I can provide proof too....

Just check my previous posts, nothing but talk, hot air, no proof of anything, other than talk, empty words....blah, blah, blah.....

What can i say, it's a PSYOP anyway.....Oh, that reminds me.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts