Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theft is on the rise in a worsening economy

It is not strange to hear about cars, jewelry or money being stolen. These days, desperate thieves are choosing bizarre targets: copper wires, air conditioning units, storm drain covers, grapes, ambulances, pain killers and even bees. This petty thievery of agricultural goods and odd supplies is the new norm in a rapidly worsening economy where unemployment is rampant.
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033159_theft_economy.html#ixzz1TQKJEvIT

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is just the beginning. In the next month I am planning on moving everything that is in my barn of any value inside the basement of my house.
Bikes, lawn mowers, garden tools etc. When things get tougher like I believe they are going to get people are going to get real desperate and start taking anything they think they can get a buck for.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I saw this coming years ago when I started noticing for sale signs on homes everywhere and prices going up. I have been robbed a few times over the years and it's a horrible feeling. Too many drug addicts and other desperate people. I'm not well off. I used to be middle class and had a home and business. All gone. I don't mind being poor because I grew up poor but what I have is mine. I've hidden my preps as best I can but you never know. I do have two guns now and I hope it never comes down to that. And I still don't understand the reasoning behind keeping a trigger lock on my guns or keeping them in a safe and unloaded unless there are children around. All kids should learn gun safety at an early age anyway. What am I supposed to if someone is breaking in? Say wait till I get my bullets from out of the closet, unlock the gun safe and oh wait till I have time to load it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
well I know people are desperate in this economy. I hope nobody comes jacking around my house because I have three lines of defense. when I'm home one.too I have a big bad dog.and three grandma that is armed and dangerous because you know and I know not to mess with grandma.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Theft is on the rise in a worsening economy

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033159_theft_economy.html#ixzz1TQKJEvIT
We have gone from consumer society to flea market society in one fell swoop. This type of thing was predicted for "when oil starts to run low" etc and was always considered a SHTF indicator. Well, it's here. People have already sold whatever they owned that will bring cash, now they're going to theft. Pretty soon we will be at the "cartonero" level, a cartonero in Argentina is a slum dweller who recycles paper products for money. They've already recycled the good stuff there, now people make a living off paper. Sometimes the carton slums catch fire, and people die. The funny thing is, I was trying to sell a safe I had, and there were no takers. So it sits in the garage.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Pulled up to a customers rental property the other day and found the plexiglass in the basement door broken. Looked inside (Didn't go inside, just looked) to see if pipes or anything was missing but everything seemed ok. Called the guy and gave him the bad news and refused to go in until the house had been cleared by the police.

Reactions: Cinbad and Stranger

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm a handyman's assistant and we do a ton of work on people's rental houses when they're empty to get them prepped for the new tenants. The people we work for are constantly checking and double checking security and making sure we lock every available entrance into the house when we leave. They told us people are beginning to steal all sorts of stuff from empty houses and on occasion they've heard of homeless people living in empty rental houses. Thank you O-Butthead!

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
It is not strange to hear about cars, jewelry or money being stolen. These days, desperate thieves are choosing bizarre targets: copper wires, air conditioning units, storm drain covers, grapes, ambulances, pain killers and even bees. This petty thievery of agricultural goods and odd supplies is the new norm in a rapidly worsening economy where unemployment is rampant.
This has been going on for decades.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
gonna get wose if inflation goes up... like some of these ass hats are saying... when food gets to expensive... guess what is going to happen... gonna be some dead crooks in the streets...
Inflation is already going on. Mrs. S lets me know each trip to the store what prices are doing as she watches it very closely. Prices are up and things are being packaged in much smaller denominations. Fall and Winter will really be the time inflation begins to ramp up. It ain't pretty and we have not seen anything yet. As a nation we have been living beyond our means for too many years. Whether you are a individual or a nation, when you do this for so long you will eventually reap what you sow, and so it begins.

·
Centurion
361 Posts
I was just talking to my mother today. She live in RURAL Ky just last week someone (or a group of someone's) stole the phone lines right off the poles. It was at least a half a mile of phone line. To make matters worse they have still not been able to replace it, and a person she knws house burnt to the ground becuase they could'nt get to a phone in enough time to call the fire department.

There have also been cases of empty rental houses being stripped of all copper wiring and tubing. Now the people that own those property's cannot rent them until they are fixed. Its only going to get worse too.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
This just happened this morning in my town

WIRE THEFT
August 3, 2011 KXRO Newsradio

The Aberdeen Police Department is investigating a theft over the weekend of 19 thousand feet of small gauge electrical wire from the Bishop Athletic Complex in South Aberdeen. The value of the wire is approximately $12, 500.

Sgt. Art Laur of the Aberdeen Police Department tells KXRO that a similar theft occurred last year. No suspects were arrested in that theft.

It appears that the thieves gained entrance to the complex via some sort of off road vehicle after moving a cement barrier blocking the entrance.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Aberdeen Police Anonymous Tip Line at 360-538-4450

http://kxro.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/wire-theft/

They literally hooked the wire to a vehicle and pulled it out of the building!!
Wire and copper theft is rampant in my county - Grays Harbor - to the point that there is a report every day now of someone stripping wire, aluminum siding, and plumbing. They are even yanking catalytic converters from parked cars!

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Inflation is already going on. Mrs. S lets me know each trip to the store what prices are doing as she watches it very closely. Prices are up and things are being packaged in much smaller denominations. Fall and Winter will really be the time inflation begins to ramp up. It ain't pretty and we have not seen anything yet. As a nation we have been living beyond our means for too many years. Whether you are a individual or a nation, when you do this for so long you will eventually reap what you sow, and so it begins.

agreed... we have not seen anything yet!!!

We have moved the tractor into the shed and locked it down, and even installed an alarm up to the house just in case...

Out here in idaho, there was a rash of cattle being stolen and patio furniture (for awhile)... also seems to be a lot of teens getting nailed for vandalism on vehicles lately.... mostly to the west of us but it still bothers me...

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts