Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting April 5th they will have a 15% off sale. They usually offer free shipping on the #10 cans, and I assume they will continue to offer free shipping during this sale.

The 15% off and free shipping might make this the best deal around for MH food.

http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi?page=freeze_dried_and_dehydrated.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%

This must be the time of year when MH allows its resellers to have sales since everyone seems to have the stuff on sale now.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It;s the start over camping season. It usually goes on sale then and at the end of the season on 'clearance'.

Same thing with a lot of good preps. Should be able to get good deals now and absolute steals around September.

·
Realist
232 Posts
Mountain house is EXCELLENT. My favorites:
Beef stroganoff
Pasta primavera
Chili mac (with beef)

If you're wondering which ones to get, I recommend trying them in the packets first. A two-person packet really is a one person packet for some people (myself included and I'm not all that big).

REI has the most reviews on MH food: http://www.rei.com/category/4500042

Sidenote: The packets are great for camping! No need to lug your whole kitchen with you - just some packets and a way to heat water.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only MH food I hated was the eggs. I know a lot of people love them, but I just can't eat yellow styrofoam. Maybe I am preparing it wrong, but I hate those eggs.

I wouldn't consider the rest "good". It is edible, easy to make, and stores for a super long time.

IMO, MREs taste MUCH better than freeze dried stuff, but they don't last nearly as long on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like their sale price for a #10 can of Beef Stroganoff is $19.65 ($26.20 * 0.75) plus $6 shipping, for a total of $25.65. They may offer cheaper shipping as your order size increases, but I didn't check.

theepicenter.com will be selling the same thing for $22.27 ($26.20 * 0.85), and should still be offering free shipping. That is over $3 per can cheaper than anything else I have seen.

If they stop offering free shipping during the sale then it obviously isn't such a great deal.

I think a lot of people fail to figure in shipping costs when they are comparison shopping online.

On Monday I will be buying some Granola w/ Blueberries and Milk, Beef Stroganoff, Chili Mac with Beef, Spaghetti with Meat and Sauce, and Blueberry Cheesecake. Those are the 5 highest calorie/dollar foods MH offers.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I think a lot of people fail to figure in shipping costs when they are comparison shopping online.
Exactly. That's how places like Sportsman's Guide make their living. Lower sticker prices, then jack up the shipping, add a handling charge and sometimes an "oversize" or "heavy item" charge so that their actual delivered price is usually higher than the competitors. Unethical.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In case anybody is still interested, I went to buy some MH food from this site (my favorite prep site, by far) and they are still offering free shipping during this sale.

It looks like this is the best deal around for MH food, which is usually the case with theepicenter.com.

My small test order:

Quantity Catalog Number Description Options Price After Options Weight Subtotal
MHCBGranolaMH 30449 - Mountain House, Can, Granola with Blueberries and Milk. - $32.55 0 lbs. 0.0 lbs. $32.55
MHCDBlueBerry 30542 - Mountain House, Can, Blueberry Cheesecake. - $19.54 0 lbs. 0.0 lbs. $19.54
MHCEChiliMac 30128 - Mountain House, Can, Chili Mac with beef. - $21.07 0 lbs. 0.0 lbs. $21.07
MHCESpaghettiMH 30108 - Mountain House, Can, Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. - $19.64 0 lbs. 0.0 lbs. $19.64
MHCEStroganof 30119 - Mountain House, Can, Beef Stroganoff. - $22.27 0 lbs. 0.0 lbs. $22.27
Pre-shipping Total $115.07
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Grand Total $115.07

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.