Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The YO-YO or Automatic Fisherman has been around for years. Its neat because it does the fishing for you while you attend to other chores. Just tie it to a convenient tree limb, bait the hook and set the reel. When a fish takes the baited hook and pulls, it trips the YO-YO and sets the hook. Your dinner is waiting for you to pick it up. I keep 2 or 3 in my BOB for emergencys. Note: using this device in a non survival setting may be against the law in your state.

http://www.survival-gear.com/yo-yo-fishingreel.htm

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
I have several. They can also be used as trip wires for alarms when camping or if you had to bug out and can be used for making snares for small game.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a fisherman and it's a great idea. If it's made of steel does it rust ?
Its galvanized. The reel itself is set up out of the water. Some of mine are 20 years old with lots of use. I just try to keep mine dry if possible and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
DS, thanks for that if it's galvanised that will help, it's a great idea and I will buy some of these in the new year. I won't use them as an everyday fishing and hunting tool but they will come in very handy indeed in a survival situation. Cheers

PS That site is excellent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They are illegal in Texas but the boys in Louisiana use them all the time. I just use small jugs the fish catch themselves on those too. Wish we cud use'm.

The Wood Duck

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
thats a pretty interesting item, never seen it before...
I added the link to my favs for future snooping..

thanks for sharing

·
Unseen
667 Posts
well after seeing this post last month, I bought one from ebay $2.99 shipped. I thought about the same thing, changing the line to something a little more modern and "clear". I tried it and found that it does not wind/reel in the same way, and the line became tangled. Then I got to thinking, that in a true situation where on of these would become needed, as long as there is bait on the hook, you will likely get a fish to bite regardless of the color/look of the line. For flippin jigs, sure a nice clear floro line might be the trick, but throwing out tasty food would get even the hungriest human to bite even if he saw it tied to a strand of grandma's stockings! I put the line that it came with back on and decided to give it a a try, sure enough, 3 catfish later and my belly got bigger!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had really good luck with trotlines and limblines too. And they are a lot cheaper to make, but if the reel sets the hook for you it may produce more fish per set, but it could also pull the bait out of a fish's mouth before its really in there too. I think I'll stick to using trotlines, but good post, I've always wondered about these and was curious if they worked or not.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
The problems with those reels are they are expose for anyone to see and take the fish from while your doing other things.

A trot line tied off under water where it can't be seen beats yoyos hands down, any day.

Be discreet and keep your catch.

BTW for the folks worried about the line I used to commercial longline with hose gear.

That is a rope as big around as your little finger, a large shny clamp on the rope and a chunk of rubber garden hose about 8-10 inches long c ringed to it, with a large shiny circle hook c ringed to the end of the garden hose. Tiny chunk of salt cured herring on it. The garden hose was the leader.

The fish don't care if they like your bait.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I have the orange poly one, it doesnt seem to wind up very strong though.

·
Jesus Is Lord!
346 Posts
I always keep one tied to my boat when the fish park under it during the middle of the day fishing trips. Caught all kinds of fish from catfish, white perch, gaspergoo, to white bass with my yoyos. Walmart sells them by the boxfull here in Mississippi.

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
I have some of these and they can be used under water (tied to a milk or laundry jug) or in tandem as the instructions from the maufacturer say. Looks pretty neat and have one in each of my BOB's w/ spare hooks of various sizes and a couple sinkers. The possibilities are pretty much up to your imagination.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts