Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were researching the Country Living Grain Mill and i wanted to watch videos to justify spending a lot of money for one. I stumbled across this video showing the Wonder Junior vs. the Country Living. With the same amount of turns, the guy got a heaping 1 1/4 cups of flour from the Wonder Junior vs. 3/4 of a cup from the more expensive Country Living mill. I'm totally new to grain mills and wondered if anyone here owns the Wonder Junior? It's a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Here is the video:

Here is a site with the price:

http://www.homegrownharvest.com/wondermill-junior-grain-mill.html

·
Firefighter 129
336 Posts
I own 4 different mills. The best of them is my Corona. I find it doesn't spray the milled flour all around like some of the mills do. The Corona is Cast so I'm not worried about it breaking. I can sharpen the blades if needed. The Corona will grid any grain where as some of the mills have a hard time with corn. The Corona cuts right into corn with no problem. I hope that helps. I got the Corona off Ebay for less than 30 bucks. The others I picked up at yard sales for 5 dollars.

·
Firefighter 129
336 Posts
Wow, I just looked at both of the models your talking about. There is no way I would spend that on my mill. Sorry, but I grew up old school. I been grinding my grains my whole life. I make everything from scratch. Even butter. I hope you'll look at the corona. It can be attached to the counter and it stays. Wont jimmy loose.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive heard that the corona cant grind down to flour consistency. And also that grinding wheat is bad as the metal shavings grinds into the wheat. We were told cast iron doesnt do well with certain grains. We were originally looking into a back to basics grinder, but my boyfriend thinks if we spend the extra money, we'll get a better grinder. I would rather have 2 cheaper ones! In your opinion, can you get flour from wheat berries out of it? Or is it more the consistency of corn meal?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Somewhere on the board there's another thread about this. A woman highly recomended the wonder mill as opposed to the country living mill, she owned both and found the wondermill to be easier to use and clean. The wondermill (the hand operated one) also has a bit you can attach (you have to order seperately) and it means you can run it electrically with an electric grill. The other thing is that it has a lifetime warranty.

As a result of that woman's post, I am now saving to buy the wondermill. I think they have them for a good price on ebay.

but perhaps do a search on the board to see exactly what is being said.

I would go with the corona, but I did hear that it was very difficult to turn, and that the flour comes out very rough, even after milling twice, plus because the grinder bit is metal, it heats up, which is bad for the grain. The wondermill has two burs, one stone and one metal.

·
Double tap
691 Posts
I have used both and prefer the Country living hands down. This test is apples to oranges in the sense that I can walk open the plates on my Country living and make it faster. In manual grain mills I think speed is relative to the mill head spacing. What good is fast if I need to mill it twice to make fine flour. I realize that it looks fine in the video, but there is a world of difference in the flour in your hands when you spin open the mill plates even a quarter of a turn. Bread will rise much better when it is EXTRA fine.

The country living comes with a large flywheel with a v groove for a belt. There is no comparison as to which mill is more capable of being powered. Google it and see all the bike, motor or even horse drawn power options already proven to work. That being said buy the best mill you can afford. Either will make bread flour but to buy based on this half ass video is ill advised.

My humble opinion....

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
In my research I have settled on the Wondermill Jr as the best mill for the price and I'm currently saving my lunch money to get one. The fact that they were mostly out of stock for many months shows me that they are indeed the best deal. As much as I'd love a Country Living mill the cost is just way too up there. I believe the Wondermill Jr is close to that quality at half the cost.

Rick

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,412 Posts
Ive heard that the corona cant grind down to flour consistency. And also that grinding wheat is bad as the metal shavings grinds into the wheat. We were told cast iron doesnt do well with certain grains. We were originally looking into a back to basics grinder, but my boyfriend thinks if we spend the extra money, we'll get a better grinder. I would rather have 2 cheaper ones! In your opinion, can you get flour from wheat berries out of it? Or is it more the consistency of corn meal?
I have the Country Living mill. I agree with you. If I had to do it over, I would probably have gone with 2 cheaper mills instead. The Country Living mill is a well made unit and I'm glad I bought it. But I don't think it's a work saver compared to other mills and I'd rather have the redundancy of a second mill. Not to mention the ability for 2 people to share the chore of grinding, to get it done faster with less individual effort.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wonder makes a deluxe model also, it's about $50 more than the non deluxe, and comes, with a flour guide, double table clamp, and stainless steel burrs, along with the stone burrs
I didn't do a lot of looking for price, but Amazon has it for $220 shipped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wonder Junior More for the Money

I have used Both the country living (my friend has one) and Wonder Junior Deluxe - The Country living mill is really nice quality and no doubt a nice flour mill. I have done the flour test and it is true. My Wonder Junior deluxe ground a nice bread flour the first time through and it was faster than my friends Country living. in about a minute - 80 turns my wonder junior produced over 1 cup of bread flour , My friends country living mill with the same 8o turns and the same bread flour made about 3/4 cup of flour. I was sold. My friend has a good mill in the country living but My Wonder Junior Deluxe can grind stuff he can't (nuts,flax,coffee) and other oily things. plus when the shtf I can grab my mill and bug out. My friends Country living is bolted to a work bench and is big and heavy- I love the Wonder Junior and would suggest you try to to test it against a friends Country Living if you get the Chance- good luck on your quest to find the best

·
Registered
776 Posts
You can't just compare number of turns. You also have to consider the amount of force required to turn it. How much actual work do you have to do to get the same results. And is it a good match for the human body. And you definitely need to be comparing for the same grind of flour. one of the complaints about some models of grain mill is it takes too much force and the average woman has difficulty with it. By changing the effective "gearing", you can have more turns at lower force.

You don't want a grain mill you have to spin like a whirling dervish to get a light dusting of flour or one that grinds a quarter cup of flour with one turn but it takes four people to turn the crank.

How much flour can you grind with each one before you are tuckered out? The guy sounds more tired after 80 turns of the wonder junior, even though he did that first.

I read recently that the problems with coarse grind and excessive force needed on the corona clones could be alleviated by having a second person trickle feed grain into the hopper - i,.e. the auger was trying to feed too aggressively.

Here is a comparison of some mills. Unfortunately, the chart wasn't updated with the wonder jr.
http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009_03_01_archive.html
The seperate review of the wonder junior disputes its ability to do nuts and seeds, not that any of the others could do them well, either.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This post is from September of last year. I ended up with the Wonder Junior, and 2 cheaper corona type knock offs. We have them stored away and haven't tried any of them. But at least we're set with mills and extras to share the work!

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
This post is from September of last year. I ended up with the Wonder Junior, and 2 cheaper corona type knock offs. We have them stored away and haven't tried any of them. But at least we're set with mills and extras to share the work!

id say break em out and use em now, BEFORE you NEED to use em

1 - 14 of 14 Posts