Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bunkies,
I got a lesson this week in the need of a cash reserve. On Wednesday, BOTH my washer and my dryer died. I had to replace them just to keep up with my laundry. I like to keep our clothing and bedding super clean, so not having at the very least a washer is not an option for me as long as we are still living in civilized times.

I contacted a repairman a while back when the appliances were first acting up, and he said that I would need to replace them both very soon. I guess he knew what he was talking about. The pair were over 13 years old, so I suppose I got my use out of them. Even so, I am notoriously cheap and I hate to have to spend money needlessly.

Our local appliance shop had a pair ready and waiting for me, but couldn't accommodate me if I had to use my debit card. The winter storms here in New England had knocked out his debit/credit card reader. Fortunately for me, I paid attention to the good folks of this forum and I kept a ready supply of cash available and I was able to pay for the set with cash on the barrelhead. It was a mighty and satisfying feeling to walk out of there with my appliances paid for. I even got a deal on delivery, but that's another thread.

My humble thanks to one and all here at Survivalist Boards for the education. It sure came in handy when it was needed. You are all, indeed, the finest.

Now let's hope that this current storm doesn't knock me out of power again so I'll get a chance to do some laundry.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Briansmom,

I just had to replace my washer too about 3 weeks ago.

I feel your pain, I was trekking to the laundry mat for a month (family of 6) before my machine was deliverd.

It broke down on me in the summer too and I tried to do laundry the old fashioned way, it was near unto impossible. I know what you are saying about bedding and towels, etc. That stuff and any clothes that hold water, (most cottons do) was hell to wring out.

Dont be fooled, most Amish do not use a washtub and board to scrub. They have gas powered washers and at the very least a manuel tub with attached wringer.

·
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's beautiful when a plan comes together (thank you, Jesus!). I rarely have disposable income, but to foresee an emergency coming up the road and being able to make it go away: PRICELESS!

However, that also means that I now need to build the cash reserve back up again. Bummer...

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
However, that also means that I now need to build the cash reserve back up again. Bummer...
Come on, that´s like complainig you have to go to the grocery shop after dinner...;)
I never need to buy appliances since I rent an apartment but I always empty my bank account on pay day. Never know when your going to need it.

·
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about that...I should have prefaced my comment regarding another thread here on the forum about survivalists being "whimps" and complaining about everything. That's what was going through my head when I added the last line, LOL!

The fact that I still have a little bit of money in the cash reserves instead of a big fat bill - or, even worse, a credit card bill - is astonishing to me. I just became debt-free this year, and I still can't believe how wonderful it feels not to dread going to the mail box or answering the phone. Credit is a trap that I'll never fall into again - not never, ever!

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Glad it worked out for you!
We've always tried to keep "household cash," on hand.
I know, from experience, it can really be hard to do.
Our first 'cash reserve,' was a $5.oo bill we passed back and forth when ever one of us went somewhere in case the car broke down, etc..
That was 1965, but it still was hard to hang onto it.
After about a six months, we were doing okay, replaced it w/a twenty...and spent the real, by then, ragged five on a pizza and a couple of cokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts