Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Water Tableware Liquid Drinkware Drinking water

One of the toughest things in preparedness is having good information about crucial elements of that preparedness--elements like water, which many of us feel is the number one prep.

This thread is our effort to place, in one location, resources that will help newbies and veteran preppers alike. This post compiles and categorizes almost everything about water and preparedness you'd ever want to know. We want it to be the place everyone can go to find authoritative threads on water preparedness.

If you know of a thread whose content belongs here, please contact a mod about it or request it in this thread.

If you know a newbie having trouble with water, please direct them here.

Good luck with your prepping!

WATER TREATMENT-Calcium Hypochlorite/Bleach/Other

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water
Calcium Hypochlorite
Calcium Hypochlorite--how many grams (or oucnes) to disinfect 50 gallons of water?
Storing Calcium Hypochlorite
Water purification - bleach/Calcium Hypochlorite
household chemical water purification
calcium hypochlorite (second thread)
Storing Calcium Hypochlorite & Rust - added 4/5/2014
NaDCC Purification Tablets added 7-25-18

WATER DISTILLATION

Distillation for Water Treatment
Solar Stills Water Purification/Distillation Info
Home Made Water Distillation Setup
Water Distillation/Purification
homemade water distillation unit

WATER FILTRATION

Safe Water Theory
Aquarain vs. Big Berkey vs. Katadyn TRK
water purification,what i need to know
Pure Easy Micro Ceramic Water Filter
How do you plan to purify water Post-SHTF/TEOTWAWKI?
Need help determining optimum portable water filtration/purification for emergencies
Sawyer Water Filters at walmart
Best water filter? Just wondering what you recommend?

TAP WATER

Storing Tap Water
Is Tap Water ok to Store?

IBC TOTES

300 Gallon Water Tank
550 Gallon Rain Water System, Pictures
Question about big water totes
275 gallon water tank - now what?

BARRELS

Water Barrels
Blue Barrels (Again)
Food Grade Tanks how can you tell?
Water Storage
55 gallon plastic drums

WATER TANKS

How come when Americans think of water storage they think so small?
Water Tank
Is this worth the money - Water Storage
425-Gallon Water Tank ... A Good Deal?

Great Bottles to Re-Use for Water Storage added 1/25/2015

WATER COOLER BOTTLES

5 Gal water cooler bottles

2-LITER SODA BOTTLES

2 liter bottles for water storage
2 water ?'s

RAIN BARRELS AND RAIN WATER COLLECTION

DIY Rain Barrel system
DIY Rain Collection System with pics
Catching Rainwater to Water Garden
Rain water purification question
My rain catch
Rain barrel
Rain barrel storage question
Collecting rainwater
Collecting Rain Water

MILK JUGS-DO NOT USE FOR LONG TERM WATER STORAGE

Containers for Bottled Water?
Question about water storage

CANNING WATER

Canning water idea question

POOL WATER

Above ground pool for water storage?
Can you use a pool for potable water?
Swimming pool as source of water?

POND WATER

Pond water -> potable water

A FEW THREADS BY MEMBER ChrisInGa

Water Purification
Water Filter Question
Water Storage

MISC. DISCUSSIONS

Water storage help please.
How to properly store mass water?
Water Storage
Best product to store water?

WATER: CAMPING/WILDERNESS

ELS #4 - Water Containers & Purification

·
Registered
13,255 Posts
I am doing more experiments, but I discovered that the colloidal silver in my motorcycle saddle bag is very good and over 4 years old .
In the olden days they would store their silver ware in the water barrel and in the milk to keep it potable , something to be said for that. yes ?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Question

:confused: Why must all posts about water be quarantined to this thread?

I have noticed much less conversation about water issues since individual posts are discouraged.

Look at that very informative water post with the compilation of information from Chris (I can't remember his profile name.) Although it's informative and valuable, it squelched dialog, imo. Most posts in the thread are simply bumps. I am not sure if this is the thread you said has been deleted.

I don't exactly understand the need to keep all water discussions in one place.

Is there a real problem with too many individual posts about water that it's necessary to put them all in one place?

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused: Why must all posts about water be quarantined to this thread?

I have noticed much less conversation about water issues since individual posts are discouraged.

Look at that very informative water post with the compilation of information from Chris (I can't remember his profile name.) Although it's informative and valuable, it squelched dialog, imo. Most posts in the thread are simply bumps. I am not sure if this is the thread you said has been deleted.

I don't exactly understand the need to keep all water discussions in one place.

Is there a real problem with too many individual posts about water that it's necessary to put them all in one place?
I'm sorry you feel that is what has happened. It is not that water discussions are quarantined here. This is more a reference. Rather like all words are not restricted to the dictionary, you find them everywhere. But if you want a quick way to find a definition, the dictionary is the place to go. This list is to give people a starting place for study.

You may see fewer "what is water and why is it wet?" threads now if people are able to utilize the list and find the information they seek. The idea of the thread is to help people in their journey, not to restrict them.

This thread actually did exist in a slightly different form since 2011 but was deleted in a fit of housekeeping by the OP and has now been recreated and updated.

·
Registered
13,255 Posts
I was wondering how to remove radiation from water.
Obviously distillation is not going to work because the water hitting the Fukushima is turning to steam and entering the atmosphere and carried in the clouds with radiation here.
So something that radiation will bond with, diluting its self from the water, would be necessary.
I just don't know what it is .
I know that radiation settles in the bone , so my thoughts were to use bone meal and an attractant /absorbent for the radiation in a filtering unit. any thoughts ?

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering how to remove radiation from water.
Obviously distillation is not going to work because the water hitting the Fukushima is turning to steam and entering the atmosphere and carried in the clouds with radiation here.
So something that radiation will bond with, diluting its self from the water, would be necessary.
I just don't know what it is .
I know that radiation settles in the bone , so my thoughts were to use bone meal and an attractant /absorbent for the radiation in a filtering unit. any thoughts ?
That sounds like the basis for a good thread that we can reference in the list.

You had mentioned colloidal silver idea a day or so ago. I think it would be the basis for a thread also.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm sorry you feel that is what has happened. It is not that water discussions are quarantined here. This is more a reference. Rather like all words are not restricted to the dictionary, you find them everywhere. But if you want a quick way to find a definition, the dictionary is the place to go. This list is to give people a starting place for study.

You may see fewer "what is water and why is it wet?" threads now if people are able to utilize the list and find the information they seek. The idea of the thread is to help people in their journey, not to restrict them.

This thread actually did exist in a slightly different form since 2011 but was deleted in a fit of housekeeping by the OP and has now been recreated and updated.
No offense intended. It's just that I've noticed a considerable lack of discussions on different water treatment since discussion has been restricted to certain threads. I find that this regimented system inhibits free discussion.

Just go back and look at the amount of discussions on water treatment a year ago compared to now. Why is that?

We shouldn't need to bump the threads. Just let people post new ones independent of the delegated ones. Am I out of line with this opinion?

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No offense intended. It's just that I've noticed a considerable lack of discussions on different water treatment since discussion has been restricted to certain threads. I find that this regimented system inhibits free discussion.

Just go back and look at the amount of discussions on water treatment a year ago compared to now. Why is that?

We shouldn't need to bump the threads. Just let people post new ones independent of the delegated ones. Am I out of line with this opinion?
You can't be out of line because your opinion is your opinion. One clarification I must make, however, is there is NO, none, nada, zero, zilch restriction of water threads. It simply isn't happening. We aren't consolidating threads, not deleting threads, it is simply not occurring.

However, the number of 8 post no intelligent input water threads should be down. The idea of consolidating a list to the links to good water threads so people can easily find them is so people CAN find the information already posted. So many of the water knowledgeable people were burned out from answering the same question 13 times a week that they quit responding. Then the water question threads consisted of all the new people asking and answering each others questions. That often resulted in less knowledge than they each had to start with. If you feed bad data in, there is no hope of getting anything but bad data out.

I realize the people who want to contribute, for whatever possibly personal reason, to multiple threads a week on the same subject may be disappointed, however, the quality of the threads and the quality of the answers is of great importance in such basic survival situations.

EDIT to add: This thread is a form of reference material. So is the dictionary. No one ever keeps you from using the words that you look up, likewise if you choose not to use a dictionary but just apply words regardless of meaning, no one stops you from doing that either. I can't think of a single reason not to use a dictionary, however, just like I can't think of a single reason people wouldn't use other reference materials such as this thread.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Just FYI:

Here is a link to the High Plains Underground Water Conservation website: http://www.hpwd.com/

It might be useful if any of you live up in that area or are considering a move there. The maps and charts are very helpful and useful. (At least to me.) The site is mainly centered around the Ogallala Aquifer. It is being depleted, but many areas will likely be able to produce water from the Ogallala for the remainder of my lifetime, some places probably far beyond.

If any of you folks know of similar sites in other areas, states, provinces, etc, please post them so we can compile a list of this type of data. In the meantime, I will search for similar resources on the net.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts