Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may call them red bugs.
Last year at this time I was helping plant food plots at my hunt club. Forgot to use insect repellent. 61 chigger bites. This Year I used more repellent than BP spilled oil. No chigger bites but pulled off two ticks. I advocate we include in our preparations adequate defenses to the true enemy bugs, the evil biting bugs. I thought the Off I used would do the job.
Other than the " Starship Trooper" solution what are your experiences and suggestions.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I have had the misfortune of getting chiggers dozens of times in Missouri, Virginia, North Carolina, Arkansas, and South Carolina. I've doused my clothes with 100% deet, experimented with all manner of insect repellent (to include Chig-a-Way), tried a myriad of natural concoctions, and still couldn't ward them off.

However, I do believe I have found the best method of treating them. After trying deisel, bleach, citrus extracts, steroids, and even a cayenne pepper bath; I have settled on a single very simple treatment. I scratch the bites until they bleed. As strange as it sounds, this has cut my recovery time down by a considerable amount. (Okay, so there's a little more than that, but that's the most gratifying part).

A couple of years ago, I was bitten by chiggers all over my body (yeah, I do mean all over), and I decided to do a little research. Apparently, chiggers inject an enzyme into the skin cells in order to render them into a liquid that can then be sucked in and digested. Because the skin acts adversely to the enzyme, it swells and creates a hardened, protected area that the chigger can eat from. So for the first few days that you have chigger bites, the chiggers are actually living in the swelled area of your skin (sometimes above it and sometimes just below the surface).

The best thing to do if you know you've been in contact with chiggers, is to pick them off (sometimes you can actually see them depending on their size), and to wash off the area with alcohol. Personally, I have never even come close to getting them all off. So as they start to itch, I scratch the bloody hell out of them for the next couple of days. This seems to help remove them. (Just keep in mind that you'll have to deal with some lingering scars). If you don't remove them, they'll continue to feed on you for several days. Lastly, I ensure that any open bite is treated with alcohol to prevent infection. If nothing else, this offers a bit of gratification. But again, make sure you're treating any open bites to prevent infection.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, so please do your own research before using my recommended treatment.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
About the only place I've encountered chiggers here is near the river. But we sure have our share of other bitey critters. Insect repellant is a must! I prefer high concentrations of DEET for it's long lasting effectiveness against our pesky mosquitoes.

Insect repellants are one of my many gaps in knowledge. I'd sure like more info on their long term storage and about homemade alternatives (that actually work, many of them don't).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Blouse your pant legs into knee high snake boots. Spray the pant legs and the boots with BroncoE you buy from tractor supply. I wear a light wt set of ****y's coveralls and if I am going to work all day in the brush I will tape the pants to the boots with duct tape.
BroncoE repells chiggers????

97 Posts
Clear nail polish. Dab it on a chigger bite and the little creatures suffocate. They die in minutes and fall out about a day later. The itching stops almost immediately, probably because they're dead and no longer producing the enzyme that causes the itch.

Might not be the most non-toxic solution but it's what we always did growing up, and I still do it when I know I'm going into chigger territory.

My friend swears by that Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil (as a mosquito repellent also) but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clear nail polish. Dab it on a chigger bite and the little creatures suffocate. They die in minutes and fall out about a day later. The itching stops almost immediately, probably because they're dead and no longer producing the enzyme that causes the itch.

Might not be the most non-toxic solution but it's what we always did growing up, and I still do it when I know I'm going into chigger territory.

My friend swears by that Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil (as a mosquito repellent also) but I haven't tried it.
My Mother swears by that method.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
My uncle use to lay pipeline in the swamps of Louisiana. Those guys used Skin So Soft by Avon. They swore by it.

You have not seen mosquitos till you have been in Louisiana marshes. I don't know if it works for repelling chiggers but I bet it would. I have used SSS for mosquito repellent and it really does work, I hate they way that stuff smells though.

It is non toxic. Also it has many other uses that I bet you could find with an easy net search.

I think I will get some for my provisions, I had not even thought about that. I live close to a river so, mosquitos get bad here sometimes.

My grandfather use to say that if chiggars were as big as mosquitos, they would kill you. LOL

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
I've been allergic to these little buggers all my life; it's the worst swelling and itching I've ever had to suffer.

I've used the nail polish, the skin so soft, Campho-Phenique, Chigger-Ex...to little effect.

My only hope is to not get them on me...so, anytime I go into the woods I don the long socks, pants and shirt. All tucked in and soaked in Off with Max Deet. And, I take them off immediately after I leave the woods and take a shower.

I was shocked to learn that the woods near my home here in central Alabama are swarming with the demonic things, and they're mutants. The first year we were here, I dragged some fallen limbs just into the woods. Three days later there were golf-ball sized welts in all the soft places, behind the knees, the belt line, armpits, the groin. I was in misery for weeks...

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Chiggerex has always worked great for me on chigger and tick bites.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the misfortune of getting chiggers dozens of times in Missouri, Virginia, North Carolina, Arkansas, and South Carolina. I've doused my clothes with 100% deet, experimented with all manner of insect repellent (to include Chig-a-Way), tried a myriad of natural concoctions, and still couldn't ward them off.

However, I do believe I have found the best method of treating them. After trying deisel, bleach, citrus extracts, steroids, and even a cayenne pepper bath; I have settled on a single very simple treatment. I scratch the bites until they bleed. As strange as it sounds, this has cut my recovery time down by a considerable amount. (Okay, so there's a little more than that, but that's the most gratifying part).

A couple of years ago, I was bitten by chiggers all over my body (yeah, I do mean all over), and I decided to do a little research. Apparently, chiggers inject an enzyme into the skin cells in order to render them into a liquid that can then be sucked in and digested. Because the skin acts adversely to the enzyme, it swells and creates a hardened, protected area that the chigger can eat from. So for the first few days that you have chigger bites, the chiggers are actually living in the swelled area of your skin (sometimes above it and sometimes just below the surface).

The best thing to do if you know you've been in contact with chiggers, is to pick them off (sometimes you can actually see them depending on their size), and to wash off the area with alcohol. Personally, I have never even come close to getting them all off. So as they start to itch, I scratch the bloody hell out of them for the next couple of days. This seems to help remove them. (Just keep in mind that you'll have to deal with some lingering scars). If you don't remove them, they'll continue to feed on you for several days. Lastly, I ensure that any open bite is treated with alcohol to prevent infection. If nothing else, this offers a bit of gratification. But again, make sure you're treating any open bites to prevent infection.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, so please do your own research before using my recommended treatment.
EEEEECH! I'll pull the pin on the nuke.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts

SkinSoSoft is the bomb for no-seeums in the keys. Every store sells it down there. But I've never seen it deter mosquitoes.

Dunno if it would dissuade chiggers or not, never empirically tested.

- OS

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Some of you may call them red bugs.
Last year at this time I was helping plant food plots at my hunt club. Forgot to use insect repellent. 61 chigger bites. This Year I used more repellent than BP spilled oil. No chigger bites but pulled off two ticks. I advocate we include in our preparations adequate defenses to the true enemy bugs, the evil biting bugs. I thought the Off I used would do the job.
Other than the " Starship Trooper" solution what are your experiences and suggestions.
My experience is they like me very much.:D:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Blouse your pant legs into knee high snake boots. Spray the pant legs and the boots with BroncoE you buy from tractor supply. I wear a light wt set of ****y's coveralls and if I am going to work all day in the brush I will tape the pants to the boots with duct tape.
BRONCOe EQUINE FLY SPRAY PLUS CITRONELLA SCENT
Precautions To Be Taken in Handling
Avoid breathing spray mist. Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. Harmful if swallowed. This product is extremely toxic to fish. do not apply directly to any body of water. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters.
Precautions To Be Taken in Storing
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal. Store in a cool, dry place inaccessible to children and pets.
Other Precautions
Causes substantial but temporary eye injury. May cause allergic reactions to some individuals. Avoid contact with eyes or mucous membranes.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
Red bugs are so thick you can hear them moving in the grass. After a day in the woods, tall grass, weeds you are going to get them. We always took a very hot bath with a 1/2 cup of pine-sol cleaner in the water. Very seldom do they live long enough to itch.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Long sleeves on your shirts, long pants properly bloused and problems with biting insects will be minimized. They can be dusted of clothing and washed off skin.

Chigger bites are irritating but ultimately harmless.

What's wrong with Starship Troopers?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts