Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one place in the world that I think I hate going to more than any other is WalMart. Please do not get me started about everything I hate about going in there. BTW it's more about those who shop in there vrs. the store itself.

Anyhow, on my way home tonight, I decided to stop and get some groceries. Wife hurt her arm and so I got to do the shopping today.

#1 As I am getting out of my vehicle, this guy flags me down and asked if I wanted to buy some food stamps. :confused::mad::taped: NO!!!

This got me thinking while I was going up and down the isle. The guy did not look like a druggy and was driving a fairly nice truck. In fact his truck was a hell of a lot nicer than mine. I mentioned it to the cashier when I was leaving and she said it has become a common thing anymore. Really? hmmmm. :taped:

#2 The cheapest beef I could find in WalMart was $2.98 a pound. That was some top sirloin steaks. Ground beef was all $3.29 per pound or better. BTW the $3.29 stuff was the 70% chubs. YUCK!

#3 Walmarts parking lot has been a little light the last few months. Our WalMart used to be the 3rd busiest in the state and was always so packed that it was hell to go into. 5:30 PM tonight and it was a breeze to get in and out. Hmmmm.......

In and of themselves, these things do not mean much, but after a while you start to see trends and these things all fit in with other things I am starting to see day to day.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Agreed. A lot more barter, food bank, and farmer's market going on around here lately. Seems like the only people buying toys are the sheep. Everyone else is stocking up on necessities. Go try to find a flat of Ball / Mason jars at the dollar store. I dare ya.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree the meat has gotten way more expensive but you can still get it for less. When I go I check they sell by dates of the meat I want. On the day before they are marked 40% off in our local Walmart. I get there very early, like 5 or 6 AM. If it's not maked down I go to meats and ask that they mark it down. If they have too much left, three days before, they put them on sale. I still get the 40% discount on the lower price but like I said I always ask. As to food stamps, I think he was trying to rip you off. Now they use a card similar to a credit card; unless it's not yet in all states. (I was a part time cashier.)

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
Not around here. The Walmart is MORE busy, especially the grocery side. The only place I've found cheaper and that's on only a few items I would actually buy is Aldi.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
WalMart - the store with 40 cash registers, of which only 4 are ever open at any given point in time. lol

Hey WalMart - instead of opening ANOTHER store 2 miles away, why don't you just open a few more lanes at this one? You might find that there won't be 30 people standing in each lane, and your store isn't quite as busy as you thought!

·
Semper Fi
259 Posts
Here they don't ask if you want to buy food stamps in the parking lot, they ask if you want to buy tamales :) Of course some of the employees can not speak English so it may take a little while to find one that does. Go in after 10pm and you better bring a Spanish dictionary. But I have to admit, the lowest grocery prices and town and I can still get 7.62x39 for $4.59 a box of 20 :thumb:

·
Indefatigable
21,098 Posts
I hate walmart as much as you do. I am constantly looking for places to shop where I can get quality for my $ and a little old fashioned customer service. This will probably offend some, but I am shopping in a mexican market these days.
I went to our local walmart becasue they just remodeled and had a new grand opening. They were giving away really sturdy shopping bags so I went to get mine. While I am there I check the meat prices. Pork shoulder roast 3.89 lb smallest one available 12.84
Now I head off a few blocks away to do the real grocery shopping. Morello's mkt, no english spoken. Pork shoulder roast 1.89 lb a $10 roast has fed us for 4 days now. Talapia at walmart 4.99 for 6 small filet (frozen) at Morellos $1.99lb for the FRESH WHOLE fish. The produce looks like a local farmers mkt and is just as cheap as the meat. The store is immaculatly clean and while no one speaks English, they are very patient with my broken (getting better) Spanish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Wal-mart meat can be transferred from truck to truck. Sometimes it can sit at a distribution site and swap trucks hours later. That cannot be good even with refrigerated trucks.... They are the best at logistics but I don't want very perishable food being moved over and over.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually do not even stop at WalMart. Most of the time we shop at places like Grocery Outlet or Cash and Carry. However, with the price of gas the way it is, sometimes it makes sense to just stop off at one place if I am not buying a months worth of groceries. You have to understand that the nearest Walmart is 1/2 hour away and I do not drive to town unless I have too.
With my wife getting hurt and me having to pick up the meal prep, I had to grab what I needed for tonight. Also Ramen noodles are cheap there and picked up a few cases.
My biggest problem with their meat is that it isn't even wet aged. Poor quality for the most part.

I was just caught off guard by being asked to buy food stamps and then how empty in comparison to the past Walmart was tonight.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here they don't ask if you want to buy food stamps in the parking lot, they ask if you want to buy tamales :) Of course some of the employees can not speak English so it may take a little while to find one that does. Go in after 10pm and you better bring a Spanish dictionary. But I have to admit, the lowest grocery prices and town and I can still get 7.62x39 for $4.59 a box of 20 :thumb:
oooh... Home made tamales, made by authentic non English speaking Mexicans, my favorite. Seriously, I love them. :thumb:

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Things have been getting slower since they decided not to extend unemployment. Most of the local restaurants have about half the lunch crowd they did before Christmas. It's getting scary really. The upper middleclass businesses are going great guns though.

It's the new saying a rising tide usta float all boats, now a rising tide floats all yachts.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
WalMart - the store with 40 cash registers, of which only 4 are ever open at any given point in time. lol

Hey WalMart - instead of opening ANOTHER store 2 miles away, why don't you just open a few more lanes at this one? You might find that there won't be 30 people standing in each lane, and your store isn't quite as busy as you thought!
How about a discount for using the self-checkout lanes, the way gas used to be back when we had full-service stations?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had 2 Walmart employees (both worked in the meat department) tell me not to buy Walmart meat. This was at a Walmart in northwest Florida when I lived there last year, and the second time was in Tennessee. Both guys said they buy their meat elsewhere and neither one would elaborate on why not to buy the meat. All that being said...from personal experience of opening packages of chicken, pork and beef (purchased at different times and locations) and the smell practically knocking me over was enough reason for me personally not to buy ANY meat products from there!

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
#3 Walmarts parking lot has been a little light the last few months. Our WalMart used to be the 3rd busiest in the state and was always so packed that it was hell to go into. 5:30 PM tonight and it was a breeze to get in and out. Hmmmm.......
Try the place in the wee hours of the 1st. The place will be wall to wall folks on public assistance.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
How about a discount for using the self-checkout lanes, the way gas used to be back when we had full-service stations?
I ALWAYS mention that loudly as I fight with the self-serve register that won't weigh my bananas! (sometimes their free!)

All I get is blank stares by the "manager" that is doing nothing but standing around looking official!!! (and thats not even a Walmart) just my local groc chain.

·
Isaiah 40:31
117 Posts
As much as I loathe Wal-Mart, it has become the only place around here to go to if you need something late at night. All of the stores around here have had so much trouble either paying a third shift staff or with crime that stores that were once 24-hour (like Walgreen's, Ingles and Kroger) now close between 10 and 11pm.

Now, I will agree that Wal-Mart is not the best place to buy groceries. We shop almost exclusively at Aldi. If you're lucky enough to have a clean Aldi store nearby, check them out. Granted, some Aldi locations attract a rather unsavory crowd and the stores aren't as clean and well-stocked, but ours is fantastic. We're a large multi-generational home and we all pitch in on the groceries. We went from spending a total of around $575+/week on groceries to less than $200. And that $575 from other stores did not allow for hardly any meat or fresh produce. At Aldi we can get meat, dairy, produce, non-food items.

And once a year we're blessed to be able to split a deer with my brother-in-law. Last year we pitched in $60 and wound up with enough ground venison in the freezer to feed us for almost six months.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts