Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the comments below the story are enlightening. This wall fell with 37 MPH winds. Yes, it was still under construction and the cement had not set, but it gives pause to the construction technique because you don't want movement in the structure while the concrete cures and here we have a big "sail" being placed in the fresh concrete. Probably another low bid design build project.

Then look at the placement of the wall right next to a tree line. Any thoughts of why that is bad? I will save you the trouble. 1) Not good for long term survival of the foundation because tree roots will undermine . And 2) Here's a big one, folks can climb those tree's throw a rope across the "wall" and rappel down the other side.

A commenter suggested that 2x4's with long bolts can be used to sandwich the steel columns on both sides and create a ladder to go up, over and down the wall. Hey why didn't anyone think of that with the design?

https://news.yahoo.com/newly-built-chunk-trumps-border-042833736.html

Talk among yourselves..

Reactions: ActionJackson

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Well, first of all, if the Dems would have cooperated I am sure we could have had a more sturdy wall. You have to build within your budget.

Second, the wall is just part of border security. No wall by itself will prevent unlawful entries. You have to have patrols as well.

As for the proximity to the trees, maybe property lines had something to do with it. If the trees are in Mexico we can't cut them down, and maybe if the wall were built farther away from the trees there would be setback problems with privately owned property.

But of course, Yahoo News can't be bothered with doing any research...

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read about this and was prepared to mock it relentlessly. But it WAS under construction. These things happen.
I will mock it. It is a shabby unsightly and useless wall. Not a "perfect wall".

Whatever wall is built will require 24/7/365 electronic surveillance. Now we have tunnels found 70 feet deep across the border.

There are likely a series of tubes (Mexican Cartel Internet) bored under other parts of the border carrying a slurry of Mexican Marching Powder one way and blowing cash the other way. Easy Peasey. Directional drilling, look it up.

The wall is a huge waste.

Just build the surveillance and beef up patrols.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
29,794 Posts
I will mock it. It is a shabby unsightly and useless wall. Not a "perfect wall".

Whatever wall is built will require 24/7/365 electronic surveillance. Now we have tunnels found 70 feet deep across the border.

There are likely a series of tubes (Mexican Cartel Internet) bored under other parts of the border carrying a slurry of Mexican Marching Powder one way and blowing cash the other way. Easy Peasey. Directional drilling, look it up.

The wall is a huge waste.

Just build the surveillance and beef up patrols.
The wall IS a huge waste. I was referring to this particular incident.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yup. If this is the kind of thing you need to resort to to make a big deal out of something....we're still winning bigly!
These things happen in construction no matter how well you plan. I once witnessed 5 big 3-1/2 story masonry parting walls topple like dominoes in the wind coming off a lake. They were properly braced but no one could anticipate the sustained force of the wind on that particular day with the way the land around it channeled it. The only saving grace was that it was break time and all the workers had come out of the buildings to warm up in the sun on a bitter, windy February day. No one was injured.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,495 Posts
Some of the comments below the story are enlightening. This wall fell with 37 MPH winds. Yes, it was still under construction and the cement had not set, but

There is no 'but'. Anything that follows the word 'but' disproves the words that precede it.

As Edgar Allen Poe once said, "But me no buts, sir! But me no buts!"

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
So you're telling me concrete doesn't do what it's supposed to do until after it cures. I'll remember that for my next project.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It's an election year. hot air rises. all of America is east of California. The east coast sucks. nature abhors a vacuum. I predict high winds for western states until the wednesday following the first monday in November

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Many people say the wall wont work. What does that even mean? how do they know? What is their expertise? Yours?

I have posted this before. i was the Test Manager for the original border fence project back in 2007. The Customs and Border Protection Department (border patrol) wanted the wall badly. They knew it would work to reduce illegal crossings then and they know it will do it now. They are the experts. And they want it.

The wall, fence coupled with patrols and electronic components will reduce illegal crossings way down to minimal levels. Will some climb over, break it down or otherwise defeat it. Of course. But they will be more easily caught.

In 2007 Boeing was the general contractor and was building a 28 mile test zone in the Tucson sector area. It consisted of barriers, radars, visual ops, ground sensors and other devices designed to deny and detect. It had bugs of course but it did work to reduce illegal crossings and to capture and contain those that did cross. Obama terminated the program and no more effort was made. It like today's effort had little support, but it did work as planned.

Just imagine what the impact of a completed wall/fence would have had on the caravans and other illegal crossings and events of the last 8 years.

On a much smaller scale does a fence around your house/property work to keep people and animals out? Of course. Can some get in if they want? of course. Does that stop you from putting a fence around your property. no.
Do you have to maintain your fence? Yes.
Not the same. I know. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts