1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks great, a bit of a ripp off from OS X, but me no care. :p

Read about it here: Cairo

The Cairo Desktop Environment

With Cairo you can transform your desktop from the dated Windows user interface to a brand new system that will change the way you use your computer forever. Taking advantage of proven functionality, and with stability and performance in mind, the Cairo Desktop system aims to give users a productive and easy to use shell that advances current technology standards. Never get lost in a sea of windows again.

And here's a couple of links to some big screenshots:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2363/explorerdesktopm11rk5.jpg
http://www.designisreason.com/content/images/blog/CairoConceptExplorer.jpg

Too bad it's a closed beta. :(

SOLIDUS

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all. Looks more comprehensive than a standard theme change. But I think I'll stick with my infinitely adjustable Linux distro.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Yep, hard to beat Linux for configuration, and you can get any app you can think of for free!

GIMP( think photoshop) is fantastic, and you don't have to pay $700 for it...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread is'nt about Linux, it's about Cairo so let's keep it to that.

Although I do agree about Linux, but I have tons of programs that will run on Windoze only.

That's why I thought Cairo might come in handy. I'm tired of working on windows :p

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
This thread is'nt about Linux, it's about Cairo so let's keep it to that.

Although I do agree about Linux, but I have tons of programs that will run on Windoze only.

That's why I thought Cairo might come in handy. I'm tired of working on windows :p
Ummm, you still are working on windows... just different eye candy.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Been reading a bit more on the site. Says it will be freeware (not open source) which is surprising for something that obviously has a lot of work going into it. I'm betting the guys doing the coding are all fishing for jobs by proving they really do know their stuff. Very nice that this will be uninstallable through Control Panel instead of having to hack the registry by hand.

One thing that makes me go "hmmm" is how much horsepower is this going to take to run? The site doesn't really give any help there, except to say that "if you can run Windows XP or Windows Vista well, Cairo will most likely run smoothly." There's a huge gap between running XP well and running Vista, so I'd lean toward this needing at least a bit of RAM.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I was wondering when Microsoft would overhaul their GUI... if they make it efficiently, that could actually run faster than Aero does on Vista. Cairo looks like it has been built from the ground up, rather than by tacking more overhead onto the existing UI.

Lots of OSes are going for the darker/brushed metal themes now. Maybe they finally noticed that this was the most popular type of skin that modders would use? I like darker themes because they are easier on the eyes- If you are working in a low-light environment it can be painful to open an all-white window. It's like turning a lightbulb onto your face.

Now that Operating System GUIs are starting to look the same... people are going to care less and less about what OS they use. They will just want it to run the software they need- and with advances in virtualization technology, they can run another OS and use its programs seamlessly in a virtual environment. Apple got this down to an art with Parallels; Microsoft doesn't need to do this yet because they have a monopoly on OS licenses.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your jig D3ath, very interesting about how people don't care what OS they use if they all look the same. (Hadn't dawned on me.)

I think you're right. I myself enjoy the look of the CAIRO shell, and you're also right, they've built this from the ground up replacing windows Aero alltogether. They also claim that this will be uninstallable via the control panel and this will cause fewer BSOD's which I don't really understand. (By replacing a UI, you prevent Bsods?)

I'll try this though, looking forward to it.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I always liked the Windows 3.1 UI meself.....

No BS, just what you need to work your computer.

Now we have 3d flying swoopy bits and hollywood special effects, and yes, Mac and Linux are guilty of this too...... I just want the dang box to work, I don't need my pictures to go 'BOIOIOINNNNNNGGGG!!!!' when I resized them....

Luddite tech geek, that's me....

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lulz Mongo...

Windows For Workgroups 3.11 is best. Have it on an old monocrhome tablet from 1994, awesome piece of retro junk. :D:

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I have a copy of 3.11 on 3.5" floppies....12 of em...

3.11 was from the era when the majority of computers were used in a work environment. As more casual users started buying PC's Microsoft felt a need to make it's UI zippier to compete with Apple.
With the internet came even more eye candy- and then gamers came on board so now we have a box that's expected to do everything..... It's become an El Camino- not a good truck, and sorta useless as a car, but can do limited work of both.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Lots of OSes are going for the darker/brushed metal themes now. Maybe they finally noticed that this was the most popular type of skin that modders would use? I like darker themes because they are easier on the eyes- If you are working in a low-light environment it can be painful to open an all-white window. It's like turning a lightbulb onto your face.
Yep, I set up my computers to be dark. Blacks and grays with white only where I'll be typing. I have enough trouble with my eyes as it is. (Writing this looking at my keyboard with the bill of my cap blocking the white of the screen.) Most computers I see where the person knows the theme can be changed wind up with a subdued color pattern. Even Vista's default Aero pattern is more subdued than past GUI's. It would be interesting to see actual numbers on how many people change their themes, and how many of those go the darker route.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Funny thing is, Cairo was developed using vector graphic tools for Linux in 2006.....

As far as darker 'skins' for the UI, it makes it a bit easier on CRT monitors, not sure if it's a benefit for LCD's since they use florescent backlighting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts