Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few weeks back i was out near the coast, i was near a part of the coast i had only been to a hand full of times. my buddy and i were out to do some hiking when we got lost enroute.
the area is mostly old functioning ranches and fishermans houses in small towns that if you blink you would miss them. there are not like the tourist towns meant to trap yuppies. i have a feeling some of the local residents dont like the tourist traffic and their vibe.
so our glorious GPS did not register us on any streets. it was useless. after tinkering with that for a few minuets we gave up. it might find a starbucks but it can't find the back road we are standing on.
so simple fix, follow the signs. we followed the signs and quickly realized that some one (probably a local.) had swapped signs directions, i pointed south when i knew the town it was pointing to was noth east of us, by 30 minuets or so. the signs to this town were all pointing the wrong direction. north south and east west were all mixed up. which if followed would not lead you through the ranch/fishing towns not and to the tourist trap. it was enough to confuse and lead some one down a back country road where there was only crickets. after being lost for a while we managed to find a ranger station near some other park but not our intended destination.
the ranger was nice and gave us a map (for free, which i think cost 4 bucks.) and gave us the right directions. we went hiking and so on, but its got me thinking. in a bug out situation some people might do that sign switch and theres no telling if a GPS would work or provide the needed information. so i am going to add more maps to my kit bag. that if i end up not using them they will be TP or for starting a fire.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Well around where I live we cant get rid of people visiting fast enough. You ask anyone and we will point you the direction out of our area. I cant think of anybody who would want non locals to stay any longer then possible. So if I found any signs not right I would make sure they were fixed as fast as possible. I do agree with a real map and compass.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good stories, i UNDERSTAND people not wanting tourists there but putting them in danger is beyond wrong. id like to take a local there by the neck and tell him a coulpe of things. Maps are a great idea tho and your compass of course!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The idea of having a map is nice, but post-TEOTWAWKI, there's no guarantee that the roads will even be useable. Any long distance traveling would undoubtedly contain detours, ambushes, and off-roading. Even in-city travel would have such problems, albeit on a smaller scale. I much prefer to go by coordinates, so that I know the general direction of where I need to go, and I can avoid places that are most likely to have problems. How I would use a map is that, if it is a city map, mark points of interest that are not present on the map, such as back alleys, schools and colleges, if there are larges areas of debris, and where the most recent construction is (in pencil of course). Also marking where certain stores or other important buildings are would be helpful, such as warehouses, lumber yards, junk car lots, etc. In my area, just a few miles outside of town, there are several lots, each with lots of cut wood that would be perfect for fires. And since law wouldn't be observed post-TEOTWAWKI, it would be a time and labor saver to snag a couple of truckloads of that, especially since they are a ways from the road, and not many people would take note of those when the world is falling apart.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've always found it strange that in some parts of the country a GPS is about useless.

I worked a field job that had me driving all over MN, IA and MO. Very seldom did it lead me astray. Even had the gravel country roads that led to our remote sites correct. Usually, if it was wrong, it was in a big city.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i told the ranger and he seemed to know what the score was, this has been a reoccuring problme in the area. i recall about 10 years ago some one else did the same thing in the same area. it just take a wrench and some one staying up till midnight. still i dont agree with it, but still paper maps are a must. in a SHTF it would probably happen on a larger scale i would think.
the GPS was a garmin Nuvi this was not the first time it had lost our location. up near Reno and a few other places it just showed up on a tan square and said "off course or cannot...locate/compute" or some thing like that. we were on paved road with yellow lines, it was not private roads. does not make alot of sense.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
The idea of having a map is nice, but post-TEOTWAWKI, there's no guarantee that the roads will even be useable. Any long distance traveling would undoubtedly contain detours, ambushes, and off-roading. Even in-city travel would have such problems, albeit on a smaller scale. I much prefer to go by coordinates,.
Roads may not be usable, but they'll still be landmarks, so will be geographical features. You may prefer to "go by coordinates" I prefer to go by geographical features.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
I repair GPS equipment and there are for sure GPS dead spots, one is near a USN facility, we joke about GPS jamming but this MAY be the case. There are a lot of interference problems with cell phones for example there are cell phone boosters that allow you to have cell service outside normal cell tower range but when operated near a cell tower screws up everything for everybody. GPS is cool, but do have a paper map.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The GPS your using is only a car nav unit. There are much better GPS units out there with much better maps. Try our the topo maps on a garmin hand held,much more information and detail.

·
Perception is NOT reality
689 Posts
I repair GPS equipment and there are for sure GPS dead spots, one is near a USN facility, we joke about GPS jamming but this MAY be the case. There are a lot of interference problems with cell phones for example there are cell phone boosters that allow you to have cell service outside normal cell tower range but when operated near a cell tower screws up everything for everybody. GPS is cool, but do have a paper map.
The GPS signals are attenuated (reduced) when passing through anything containing water. So if you are in a heavily forested area, with lots of leaves above you, you may not be able to receive the necessary satellite signals for your GPS receiver to work. Having a very heavily laden clouds above you could also reduce the strength of the signals your GPS receives and keep it from computing a good position. Also, natural or man-made structures, that can reflect the satellite signals, can cause multipath (where the same signal is coming from different directions with different path delay) that can also degrade the ability of the GPS to compute a position. I would agree; have a paper map and know how to use it.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I've got a cheap GPS that only shows an arrow when I'm driving.
Doesn't know there's a road I'm on. Shows street names for OKC and Tulsa great.
Yet it shows rivers and lakes that aren't there anymore.
Guess I need to try GPS on my BB next time, got 3 apps for maps.
Bad thing about some apps, they show stores/restaurants that closed years ago.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
A map, preferably one with some type of coordinate system (preferably lat/lon) and a GPS are both helpful. A GPS can get you back to a point you have been before, or to a point where you know the lat/lon coordinates.

Better yet, is to have been down a certain route before. To know it by sight, both in the day and night, during summer and winter, when the visual cues change. Also know the alternate routes, the possible bottlenecks and places where something can change - like a bridge being out, or a creek/river washing out the road, or a tree falling or landslide blocking the road.

I was just now looking at one of the rural areas I am considering for retirement. There is a trail that goes along the "highway" (rural two lane road) out to the area that would be a good backup route if I was to have to hoof it, or I could maybe even drive it, at least I could ride it on a bicycle or motorcycle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts