Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about this, I think this has been discussed on this forums before but is the US Military serious this time? :D:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/10/05/the-armys-saw-and-m4-replacements-will-both-fire-this-more-accurate-and-deadly-round/

https://www.range365.com/us-army-to-replace-556mm-with-68mm

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a23654011/army-68-calliber-bullet-replace-556/

This video prompted me to do a simple search because he provided no links.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
It's all still just testing so far...again...this time around...with an anticipated 10 year window to full changeover, IIRC?

But maybe this time they will make the move?

Can't see a move to plastic cases, it's just a step too far for most folks, despite plastics being far stronger and more durable than they used to be.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,627 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't see anything about matching load development, to the weapon and the threat environment.
So they are proposing to design two new weapons, built to handle a new cartridge, but they don't have a clear idea of the projectiles needed.

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
uuh, here we go again

unless you are either scaling up the AR-15, using a different rifle entirely, and standardizing a different magazine, youre going to be limited in performance and capacity as every other bigger round project the Ar-15/M4 has ever had.. and seeing as the military doesnt appear to be getting rid of the M4 any time soon, i have doubts it'll be adopting any new cartridge which is a minimal improvement at best when fired out of a platform already stretched to its limits

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Reinventing the wheel.

General Hatcher, in his Book of the Garand, gives (on p. 71) the breech pressure of the .276 Pedersen cartridge as of 25 February 1926 as 47,865 pounds per square inch. This loading is with a 125 grain bullet. Hatcher’s Notebook gives the velocity of the .276 Pedersen at 78 feet as 2,690 ft/s, which works out to 2,740 ft/s muzzle velocity. In this second reference mention is made of a powder charge of 32 grains; no propellant weight was given in the 1926 data first cited.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
The AMU has been testing intermediate rounds in an "AR12" in between the AR10 and AR15 in size. The .264 USA has seen a lot of press and a mystery .277 USA is sometimes mentioned without providing any specs. Looks like the .277 was picked to keep going while the .264 is being abandoned. Don't really see what's exciting about this news when it's this early in the game. It could turn out like 6mm SAW, flechettes, and HK's caseless 5mm ammo. Going nowhere and draining money. (But I think it's a little more likely to survive, just because of where we're going with wanting better AP ammo.)

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,211 Posts
There are two major leaps, making the investment make sense.

First, a better or more effective caliber than 556. It's clear that we do need something with more range, and punch. The call to dig out the M14s makes that clear.

Second, the 40% weight savings of plastic cases is long overdue, and makes sense. Shotguns have been doing this for decades. Why not semi-autos. Brass is expensive, weighs more, etc.

Somehow they've solved the heat issues with plastic cases melting in hot chambers. Now that's the news story!

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
It may be reinventing the wheel, and yes, while the M1 rifle was originally designed around the .276 caliber cartridge, technology advances in the past 90 years could make this a game changer. I don't expect the new rifle and machinegun to be radically different from the current platforms though.

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
the only way i am going to give a damn about polymer cased ammunition is if the loaded cartridges can be produced cheap enough to sell fully loaded military rifle ammo at under 25 cents a round

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
As a HP competitor, this development will be the least of my worries. It will be years before the 6.8 becomes the standard issue rifle round for the military. Chances are my XTC days with a service rifle will be over.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts