Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research, I have perhaps the best option for those trapped in urban areas.

You need: a safe place to hole up, the means to defend your position, and food.

The Answer: your local golf course.

Sound silly?

The main building is usually made out of stone, or brick; and two or three story. They have a nice full service restaurant (food storage) and bar. Most have a fireplace (and plentiful supply of dried fire wood) if the climate is not temperate.

Not perfect, but not many preferable options .

take care,

ISS

· never tell me the odds
725 Posts
i disagree.

golf courses are surrounded by houses. you might meet some resistance when you show up looking to take over someones property. i'd assume the people with homes around the course will have beat you to it or the clubs members may already be there.

your best bet is to stay put, lay low and be the gray man while focusing all your energy on getting out of the urban environment.

· Liberty or Death
91 Posts
The only issue with this is that most golf courses with a clubhouse are in Gated communities. They are surrounded by very expensive houses that would be top pick for any squatters/looters and all of those houses would look onto the course offering no privacy or protection.

I think the best urban location would be a large cemetary. Most urban areas have "national" cemetaries that are completly gated and have only one main road going in.

· Registered
5,366 Posts
The only issue with this is that most golf courses with a clubhouse are in Gated communities. They are surrounded by very expensive houses that would be top pick for any squatters/looters and all of those houses would look onto the course offering no privacy or protection.

I think the best urban location would be a large cemetary. Most urban areas have "national" cemetaries that are completly gated and have only one main road going in.
This is an interesting idea:
-- Lots of things to hide behind
-- They don't have to move you away if you get knocked off
-- Usually there are some mausoleum buildings for storm shelter
-- Trees for firewood

But
-- Some people are sticky about desecration

· A bad, bad man
215 Posts
Who is going to help you defend all that space? You have to look at something we'll call "defense per square foot." We'll relate it to economies of scale. So far, if its just you, im seeing you being taken by a small group utilizing different entrance points at once. And, fixed positions always fall with a large enough enemy with determination. Its my belief you'll have to remain oscar mike in an urban type setting.

· Registered
86 Posts
I would say a decent place to rest and grab supplies if needed, I would prefer a more covered area, I would hate to have leave in a hurry and not have cover to hide behind, it has it's pro's and cons for sure something to remember. "stay safe"

· UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
your local Church - no im not religious - they typically have thick heavy duty outer and inners wall and heavy wooden doors - most old churches have high up, small slot windows. Large open spaces inside for prep and wounded - and if ya get bored drink the communal wine ...

· Prepared
15,922 Posts
BOL and urban don't make sense to me. Something compels you to get out of your urban home, but it's okay somewhere else nearby? What scenario? I can see the urban BIL, the rural BIL and BOL. But not the urban BOL.

The only urban BOL that makes sense to me is a relative or close friend. Otherwise, get out of Dodge.

· Registered
34 Posts
BOL and urban don't make sense to me. Something compels you to get out of your urban home, but it's okay somewhere else nearby? What scenario? I can see the urban BIL, the rural BIL and BOL. But not the urban BOL.

The only urban BOL that makes sense to me is a relative or close friend. Otherwise, get out of Dodge.
Consider the possibility of a large urban area such as NY or Phoenix. I could see having temporary BOL's in urban areas in those cases. Another possibility is having access to a warehouse or reenforced building that still lies within the urban area. I would have a warehouse or something reenforced and defensable on the edge of an urban area as a secondary BOL because it would afford the chance to increase the size of a group and allow excellent opportunities for scavanging.

· Registered
770 Posts
I would rather stay in a place where I have prepared than cart all of my stuff to a golf course in the hope that I can commandeer the place. Plus, after commandeering the place, I'm a criminal so I have the cops after me as well as the wandering hoards. No thanks.

Mike

· Prepared
15,922 Posts
But if you live in an urban area, or suburban area anyway, you should easily be able to harden one room, half 3-6+ months of preps, etc. I suppose if you were a renter in a very dense urban area, and had no relatives to stay with, then you may have a problem.

But what would be the cause? Not a simple natural disaster, fire, tornado, etc. Something larger like a failed government, martial law, LA-style riots last weeks+, etc.

But even so, I'd say your best bet is to get out of Dodge.

Consider the possibility of a large urban area such as NY or Phoenix. I could see having temporary BOL's in urban areas in those cases. Another possibility is having access to a warehouse or reenforced building that still lies within the urban area. I would have a warehouse or something reenforced and defensable on the edge of an urban area as a secondary BOL because it would afford the chance to increase the size of a group and allow excellent opportunities for scavanging.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.