Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, this is THE ULTIMATE DEVILS FOOD CAKE RECIPE!
I got it from an online friend (screen-name Heshrugged) and he has posted it several places and given permission for others to spread it around. (For our single ladies---he is single, around 30 (I think),cute, employed and is currently building his own homestead on 8 acres in the Ozarks!)
All the words below are his:

Tonite I am making a Devil's Food Cake...it is really to die for...imagine a pound of butter, almost 2 pounds of REAL chocolate, a half a pound of sour cream, and some farm fresh eggs...it costs about $8 to make...they sell for about $25 in the fancy bakeries, or about $4 a slice if you don't buy the whole thing. This is a cake you just won't be able to make with a boxed mix at the grocery store, and costs only a dollar or two more if you include the ingredients you have to add to a mix plus buying frosting (frosting is included in the cost, and the recipe is below). It only takes about an hour to make this if you have other things to do while it is in the oven.

Here's the recipe a co-worker shared with me when I was working at the bakery:

Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting the pans

4 oz unsweetened baker's chocolate

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (1 stick)

2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

3 large eggs

1 1/4 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sour cream (about 8 oz)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

(1) Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of two 9 inch round cake pans. Dust bottoms and sides with cocoa powder...put a couple tablespoons in and tap the edge of the pan until you have a light coating on the inside of the buttered pan..

(2) Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler...I use a stainless steel bowl on top of a sauce pan of boiling water...the double boiler ensures that you don't burn the chocolate, which is very easy to do if you've never worked with chocolate before...a double boiler makes it almost impossible to burn chocolate...stir the chocolate constantly until it is melted...

(3) Cream butter and sugar together and then add eggs and beat until creamy. Stir in melted chocolate.

(4) Sift together flour, baking soda and salt (I just dump them all in together with the salt and soda on top of the flour). Add flour mixture & sour cream to chocolate mixture. Mix together, and then add boiling water and vanilla extract and mix together.

(5) Pour batter into pans and bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting

This really makes the cake (taste-wise), and is about 1/2 the cost...don't scrimp here...if you were here in person I'd show you how to ice your cake so it looks like that fancy cake they show you on the Duncan Hines box...maybe I'll have to do a class on that at some future rendezvous...

A quick method to make your cake look pretty is to make the icing smooth on the top of the cake...then take a fork and make a tick-tac-toe board on the top of the cake. Three strokes north to south and three east to west....this will make a nice wavy design in about 5 seconds...even if you don't know what I mean, try it...you'll be really surprised when it comes out looking like a fancy cake people buy at the store...

Here's the icing recipe:

8 oz semisweet chocolate (I use chocolate chips)

3 oz unsweetened chocolate

4 large egg yolks

2 cups confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)

1/3 cup strong brewed coffee

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks)

2 tsp vanilla extract

(1) Melt both chocolates together in double boiler.

(2) Put egg yolks & confectioner's sugar in bowl and combine until fluffy...ok, "fluffy" is what the recipe I got says...it has never been "fluffy." Its more like mostly cured concrete...just mix them together to form a VERY thick yellow paste...

(3) Add slightly cooled chocolate, mixing until combined. Add hot coffee and mix until smooth. Add butter a little at a time. Whip until light and fluffy, then add vanilla. You won't really be able to use a whisk effectively until the end...the words 'light and fluffy' will probably seem ridiculous to you until you have all the ingredients in there and have beaten it for awhile...resist the temptation to add more coffee (or other liquid) until you have beaten the hell out of the finished product with a whisk...it will come out just right...believe me...

OR you could eliminate a 1/4 cup of the sugar from the icing recipe and add 1/2 cup of Kahlua (coffee liqueur) in place of the coffee...that's what I do when I'm not taking it to work, as I am tomorrow!

After your cake has cooled, ice it with this frosting, and serve in very small slices...this is a very rich cake....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts