Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Ultimate Bug-Out backPack. What's your top 25 picks?

We all know that the real danger if, God forbid, there should be a total economic collapse, is not dying for lack of food or water. The real danger is the hoards of panicking people that will stop at nothing to get at the supplies of the people that were prepared. Now unless you have a few thousand rounds of ammo and are willing to mow down hundreds of other human being to protect your supplies, your best bet is to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible. This is particularly true in a country such as the USA, where people have never pondered the idea of not being able to go to a store and buy whatever they want. I have seen, with my own eyes, Americans fighting and ready kill each other in line at the gas pump, just because the news said there MIGHT be a fuel shortage. I don't want to be around if there is ever a real problem. And since history teaches us that when calamity hits, it usually hit fast and you have little time to get your things together, in which case you will most likely leave something important behind if you try to do it at the last minute. So it's best to have it all packed in advance.

I have read a lot of list for bug out backpacks and just about everybody has their own opinion on what should be in a bug out backpack. So I thought it would be interesting to start this thread and have everybody list the top 25 essential things they would want in their bug out backpack. Now a backpack is no good if it is too heavy to carry so let's try to keep it down to around 50 pounds. After we have posted our list, we could then vote on the the list and see which one wins. How about it?

I'll start with my list to get it started. Listed in order of preference, with first being the most important.

1. Machete (21" high quality)
2. 1 Quart Durable water container (Military canteen)
3. Metal Match
4. 200 Hooks (Assorted Sizes,with most being Size 6 and 9. I like Eagle Claw bait holder style)
5. Fishing line ( 1 Spool of 12LB and 1 of 30LB)
6. Dependable 22 caliber rifle (Ruger 10/122 or similar).
7. 1000 rounds 22 ammo in waterproof container.
8. Hand held High Quality Compass
9. Regional Map (As detailed as possible, preferable water proof).
10. Rain Poncho or small tarp.
11. Warm high quality sleeping bag.
12. Durable lightweight small tent.
13. Crank powered LED Flashlight.
14. Good Survival Guide book that has a regional edible pants list.
15. 5 pounds powdered mash potatoes, rice or grits.
16. 1 Large metal or Aluminum mug (with metal or aluminum handle).
17. 1 Large metal spoon.
18. 2 quart aluminum pan.
19. 8" Knife
20. First Aid Kit.
21. Extra Clothes (2 pairs of pants, shirts, underwear,socks and 1 warm jacket.
22. Solar or crank powered shortwave radio.
23. 5 Scripto Lighters
24. 2 bars Ivory body soap.
25. 10 ounces of Chlorine in leak free container (Emergency water purification).

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have this exact pack on hand right at this moment, but I have spent years exploring the Amazon jungle with a similar pack and I would have to say that you can get it to about 50 pounds if you choose your items wisely. The gun will probably put it over that, but the gun will not actually be part of the backpack. The ammo is probably the heaviest item after the gun and could be reduced by half, as a thousand rounds is overkill. But I would like to have as much as possible in then scenario I gave, because from my experience of living in other countries, the first thing the government does when societal chaos breaks out, is ban the production and sales ammunition. I can (and have) build a gun in under an hour using nothing but materials from the Home Depot, but it is very difficult to make good ammo.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
1. Both my KA-BAR and US Army/Airforce knives (sheaths have firestarters on them, and one has a stone.)
2. Tritum compass & Map of bug out area. The route there should be prememorized.
3. Small back packable tent
4. Sleeping bag
5. 2 Changes of cloths INC socks and underwear.
6. Small mess kit.
7. Small foldable camp grill (over the fire type, not a Smokey Joe)
8. Canteen (mine is a 5 quart collapsible style).
9. Several Packable water carriers.
10. Soap, several rags, sponges and a small packable towel.
11. First aid kit.
12. Russian Combat throwing shovel.
13. Rope, or twine
14. Beef jerky and dried soup spices/bullion to make soups out of foraged plants.
15. Archery set.
16. Extra addition, but also a machete if avaliable.

·
Registered
816 Posts
my BOB

My current BOB: It would be really hard for me to pick only 25 items out of this, as all of it seems indispensable.

The (*** indicates items I intend to get soon)

70oz Camel Bak (Full)
Deflatable Camp Pillow/seat
1 pr BDU pants
5 pr underwear
3 t shirts
4 pr socks
1pr boot socks
Dynamo Radio/flashlight/cell charger combo
Katadyn 'pocket' water filter (filters 13000 gallons or something ridiculous)
Mess kit with utensils
2 rolls TP
3 packs mountain house food (6 servings for a total of 2300 calories)
3 MREs (3600-3900 calories)
Leather gloves
Wool glove inserts
550 cord (para cord) 100'
Duct tape (1 roll)
1 gallon water storage bladder (empty)
diamond knife sharpener
Cold Steel Peace keeper I knife
Mosquito headnet
Bugspray
2 Emergency Ponchos (1 clear, 1 blaze orange)
1 rite-rain waterproof notebook
1 Sharkie invincible marker
1 pencil
Cold Steel Voyager Tanto (4")
Multi-tool
Dynamo flashlight
LED headlamp
10 small garbage bags ( clear)
Garmin GPS (with stored coordinates for BOLs and safe spots)
***Extra Batteries
Lensatic Compass
*** Maps of BOL and pertinent areas
*** First aid kit
Handgun and extra mag (.45 Ruger P90)
Ammo (at least 50 rounds)
Toiletries Kit (see below)
Survival Kit (see below)
Sewing kit
International translator (pamphlet with pictures to point to)
Gas Camp stove
***extra gas

TOILETRIES
5 disposable razors
shaving cream
pocket tissues
1 bar soap and holder
chapstick
nail clippers
deodorant
Washcloth/towel
camp mirror
toothpaste
hand sanitizer
toothbrush
Floss
2 packs field sanitary wipes
20 individually wrapped antibacterial wet wipes

SURVIVAL KIT
Gil net
2 steel snares
Swiss army knife
Blast match flint firestarter
water purification tablets
3 books water resistant matches
Waterproof match case with 25 matches
2 Bic lighters
magnesium fire starter
10 Safety pins
whistle
Space blanket
10 fishing Hooks
Aluminum foil
***Fishing line
***Tinder

All the clothes and electronics are in plastic bags or ziplocs. Might not survive a complete submerging, but it is rainproof.

I am probably going to put my Surefire flashlight and extra batteries in there, but I haven't decided yet.

I also already have a first aid kit, but it is in a heavy metal box and full of not the right stuff, so I have to fix it first, but it is ready to go as is if something happened now.

I also have my shotgun and bulletproof vest ready to go, and I am going to attach my military sleep system to the outside (sleeping bag, waterproof bivy sack, and sleeping mat)

Let me know if you see any glaring deficiencies.

·
Registered
816 Posts
We all know that the real danger if, God forbid, there should be a total economic collapse, is not dying for lack of food or water. The real danger is the hoards of panicking people that will stop at nothing to get at the supplies of the people that were prepared. Now unless you have a few thousand rounds of ammo and are willing to mow down hundreds of other human being to protect your supplies, your best bet is to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible. This is particularly true in a country such as the USA, where people have never pondered the idea of not being able to go to a store and buy whatever they want. I have seen, with my own eyes, Americans fighting and ready kill each other in line at the gas pump, just because the news said there MIGHT be a fuel shortage. I don't want to be around if there is ever a real problem. And since history teaches us that when calamity hits, it usually hit fast and you have little time to get your things together, in which case you will most likely leave something important behind if you try to do it at the last minute. So it's best to have it all packed in advance.

I have read a lot of list for bug out backpacks and just about everybody has their own opinion on what should be in a bug out backpack. So I thought it would be interesting to start this thread and have everybody list the top 25 essential things they would want in their bug out backpack. Now a backpack is no good if it is too heavy to carry so let's try to keep it down to around 50 pounds. After we have posted our list, we could then vote on the the list and see which one wins. How about it?

I'll start with my list to get it started. Listed in order of preference, with first being the most important.

1. Machete (21" high quality)
2. 1 Quart Durable water container (Military canteen)
3. Metal Match
4. 200 Hooks (Assorted Sizes,with most being Size 6 and 9. I like Eagle Claw bait holder style)
5. Fishing line ( 1 Spool of 12LB and 1 of 30LB)
6. Dependable 22 caliber rifle (Ruger 10/122 or similar).
7. 1000 rounds 22 ammo in waterproof container.
8. Hand held High Quality Compass
9. Regional Map (As detailed as possible, preferable water proof).
10. Rain Poncho or small tarp.
11. Warm high quality sleeping bag.
12. Durable lightweight small tent.
13. Crank powered LED Flashlight.
14. Good Survival Guide book that has a regional edible pants list.
15. 5 pounds powdered mash potatoes, rice or grits.
16. 1 Large metal or Aluminum mug (with metal or aluminum handle).
17. 1 Large metal spoon.
18. 2 quart aluminum pan.
19. 8" Knife
20. First Aid Kit.
21. Extra Clothes (2 pairs of pants, shirts, underwear,socks and 1 warm jacket.
22. Solar or crank powered shortwave radio.
23. 5 Scripto Lighters
24. 2 bars Ivory body soap.
25. 10 ounces of Chlorine in leak free container (Emergency water purification).
in my experience, you are going to need to carry more than just a quart of water. I have had to ruck 10+ miles and its just not enough. I would say a full 70oz camel back is the bare minimum if you are talking about travelling more than 5 miles.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would ditch the Scripto lighters for strike anywhere matches or flint and steel.
I have never figured out what some peoples aversion is to lighters. I have used them for years in the Amazon and they have never failed me. But in the unlikely event that they did, I always have my trusty metal match.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have never figured out what some peoples aversion is to lighters. I have used them for years in the Amazon and they have never failed me. But in the unlikely event that they did, I always have my trusty metal match.
yeah, they work much more consistently than matches in my experience. I just make sure I have my bases covered by carrying 5 or so methods of fire starting.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in my experience, you are going to need to carry more than just a quart of water. I have had to ruck 10+ miles and its just not enough. I would say a full 70oz camel back is the bare minimum if you are talking about travelling more than 5 miles.
I agree that 1 quart is not a lot, but you have to balance quantity with weight. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, and that's 8 pounds you have to carry. The more weight you carry, the more you sweat. In a true long term survival situation, you want to travel as little as possible anyways. Hopefully you would drive your car to the area you plan to survive in. But I do agree that more water storage is needed then 1 quart, but I was just listing the top 25 thing I would want. Not everything I would want.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that 1 quart is not a lot, but you have to balance quantity with weight. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, and that's 8 pounds you have to carry. The more weight you carry, the more you sweat. In a true long term survival situation, you want to travel as little as possible anyways. Hopefully you would drive your car to the area you plan to survive in. But I do agree that more water storage is needed then 1 quart, but I was just listing the top 25 thing I would want. Not everything I would want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
look you can find opions for to lighten your pack instead of metal (Spoon, canteen) loose the third change of clothes and just bring the ones one your back and one in your pack and to be honest you need water more then bar soap, loose the bleach and get some water purification tablets. There alot of good Ideas for lightening your pack on those "ultralight backpacking sites"

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The idea was for every body to list their top 25 choices for their ultimate bugout backpack and then let's vote for the best. If you don't like what I have in mine, let's see what your top 25 choices would be. Let's not make this a criticize everybody else party. I started this thread to hear the ideas of others. So far only one Royal Dragon has tried to offer up a top 25 list.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
My version of the BOB/72 hour kit

Designed to get to help, or sustain me till help arrives based on 3-day time limit. Three days is kinda iffy now in some scenarios. Mostly I would need to add additional food (MRE's/Camper’s MH meals) and another water bladder to extend the time. This can be the base of further extended kits by adding items to the core group. I can’t carry much weight on my back, thus the game cart, which will allow me to add items if the situation calls for it. The item count is a little high, but most of the items are small and lightweight. Doesn’t weigh as much as you might think. <100# even with the game cart.

72 hour Bug-in/Bug-out Kit

1 Cabela’s game cart
2 Kifaru Marauder back pack
3 SAS survival manual
4 Glock 21SF w/4 spare magazines in pouches
5 Cold Steel ODA field knife & sheath
6 Leatherman Surge
7 Wenger Survivor Swiss Army knife
8 compass and local area map
9 lifeboat matches and tinder
10 Blast Match and tinder
11 2 GI ponchos w/1 liner
12 100 feet 550 cord
13 Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
14 hydration bladder
15 coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot cider packets
16 12 Millennium ration bars
17 1 ½ pounds jerky
18 3 pounds gorp
19 can/bottle opener
20 Tommy cooker & Trioxane fuel
21 GI stainless steel folding handle cup (for heating water)
22 German GI nesting eating utensils
23 2 bandanas
24 Yaesu VR-500 multi-band radio w/extra batteries
25 Camper’s toilet paper rolls

waterproof gear bag to carry water sensitive items
walking stick or hiking staff
sunglasses w/neck lanyard
small roll brass wire
small roll Gorilla duct tape
package medium large reusable zip ties
dozen nails/spikes
whistle on neck lanyard
signal mirror
Garraty LED windup flashlight
Mini spray can of bright paint
Brunton butane lighter
piece of heavy plastic
eight tent stakes
insect repellent
sun block
light sticks
candle lantern & candles
bottle Aqua Pura
large piece heavy duty foil

spare keys
spare medications
spare glasses
packet of important papers
family photo marked w/names & relationships
health, illness, & medical information
phone list/contact list/rendezvous map & plan sheet
prescriptions
medical group card
Social Security card
driver's license
check book
credit card
plenty of cash
coins (for pay phones & vending machines)
personal ditty kit
change of underwear
2 changes heavy socks
spare shoe/boot laces
diary/journal w/pen
personal hygiene ditty
Camper’s soap
pack towel

first-aid kit
zip-lock bag
space blanket
mini-manual
fever thermometers (oral and/or forehead strip)
adhesive tape
alcohol wipes
aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
triangle bandage
Ace Bandage
Band-aids (strips, finger tip, knuckle, butterfly strips, pads, eye)
gauze bandage rolls
sterile gauze pads
toothache ointment
ammonia capsules
first-aid ointment (Betadine or Triple Antibiotic ointment or similar)
petroleum jelly

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

electrolyte drink mix
Excedrin
Chloraseptic throat lozenges/cough drops
Day Quill caps
Night Quill caps
Alka Seltzer
Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
Equate Larotadine allergy medication

Kept with backpack in their own ditty bags, donned as situation requires, put on the game cart, or leave behind

insulated underwear
ski mask
heavy boot socks
Carhartt arctic bibs
Carhartt arctic parka with hood
Neos insulated overboots or LaCrosse arctic paks
Wells Lamont insulated gloves
2 bandannas

light coveralls
hiking shoes
baseball cap or hat
2 bandannas

Tyvek hooded/booted overall
P-100 filter & safety goggles (or MSA Millennium CBRN respirator w/3 spare filters)
Nitrile gloves
Rubber garden boots
Roll duct tape

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry you feel it was criticizing you we are just tying to help

1. Backpack
2. Ultra Light three season tent
3. Sleeping bag
4. Camelback or Platypus Water Blatters
5. MSR Water purifier
6. Seal Pup Knife
7. Mess kit
8. 1 qt. Aluminum Cooking pot
9. Flint & Steel
10. Water proof Matches
11. First-aid Kit
12. Good Boots
13. 22 Cal Rifle
14. 22 Cal. Handgun
15. 500 Rounds Ammo
16. Fishing Kit
17. Survival Saw
18. Multi-tool
19. Hand Crank Radio/Light
20. Map
21. Compass
22. 1 Extra change of clothes
23. Body Glide (Stops Chaffing)
24. Instant Soap or Rice
25. Good Survival Guide

This is just the 25 off the top of my head but I have more then this minus the guns, ammoand food and it is under 40lbs

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts

Reply]
I'd stay away from the Aluminum cookware. There has been way too many links between aluminum and Altzeimers disease. I allways go stainless steel myself.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Reply]
I'd stay away from the Aluminum cookware. There has been way too many links between aluminum and Altzeimers disease. I allways go stainless steel myself.
I have hear the same thing, but having lived almost 30 years in 3rd world countries where 99 percent of all pots and pans are made of aluminum (and I can't remember knowing a single person with a Alzheimer’s), I think that the short time you will be using it in a survival situation will be worth it for the weight reduction it offers over steel or cast iron.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts