Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, the silver lining is that the select group of individuals with jobs in the US are treated very well. The downside? Everyone else has to move or live off unemployment. Pretty bizarre that we have "minimum wages" that force a lot of people out of potential jobs because the pay would be below minimum wage, but those people are then forced onto welfare.

We have a really bizarre system in place, where there are too many anti-business/anti-corporate policies to create jobs here, but tons of pro-business/pro-corporate policies to accommodate the ones already established. We're seeing the effects of those policies now, and it's up to the government to fix it (hahaha).

·
Banned
284 Posts
THEY (GE) are bringing some jobs back but... Only 13,000 total - 1/4% of the unemployed. These jobs coming back are minimum wage - NOT a livable wage.

Unemployment is still increasing. GM just announced a plant closing in Indiana. THEY want to increase taxes for small business.

So, IT IS NOT GETTING BETTER!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
US has been losing manufacturing jobs since the 1980s. This has been a publicly stated long-term trend. Though Big Media has not had a lot of stories on it. The fact is, stuff from China and Asia costs less. It's not better quality, but it does cost less.

I don't care of my plastic spoon comes from China or not. I want the cheapest plastic spoon possible, because I'm going to throw it away anyway. Now if I want a washing machine, I will buy American.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
US has been losing manufacturing jobs since the 1980s. This has been a publicly stated long-term trend. Though Big Media has not had a lot of stories on it. The fact is, stuff from China and Asia costs less. It's not better quality, but it does cost less.

I don't care of my plastic spoon comes from China or not. I want the cheapest plastic spoon possible, because I'm going to throw it away anyway. Now if I want a washing machine, I will buy American.
I have used plastic utensils that were useless. Forks that the tines broke on and knives that would not cut potato salad, spoons marginal. Cheap has it's place, useless,,,, well useless.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I agree. That's why I won't buy anything from China that uses electricity. All my rechargeable batteries from China failed after less than a year. Even NiCads, if kept properly, will last 5 years. All my Coby brand items (radios, headphones, etc) failed after just 2-3 months. Anything from China that uses electricity is complete junk. Which is why I only buy stuff like plastic spoons from them at dollar stores.

Even the underwear I get from Hong Kong doesn't fit right. Those Asians must be tiny or something!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts