Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i know this will get alot of back and forth but i thought i would post it anyway. So as the title says we are going to talk about the truth about scavenging.
Most people on this forum always make comments like "It wont be like a video game you wont just find ammo everywhere" And i am here to disprove that.
So i was cleaning out my car and as i was digging around i found that i had a lot ammuntion(5.56, .308, .22, 9mm, .45) stashed all around the truck and passenger compartment loose round that fell out of range bags, that one round you cant find when i have to unload my pistol to go onto post. along with energy bars and other various stuff like bungee cords a gas mask filter from training and 50 feet of 550 cord.
I though damn maybe i am a wierdo survivalist who has all this crap in my car. so i asked my buddies in my platoon if we could go through there cars and see what we could uncover.
About 30 minutes later we convened at the smoking table to discuss our findings. the total was
250 rounds of 5.56 between 5 people
19 .45 cal, 27 9mm, 19 .308cal, countless .22 and 12 gauge, 5 full mre's, a bunch of mre extras, a mess of power bars caffeine pills and cans of food, totally 85 feet of 550 cord, 7 bungee cords, 2 tarps, a VS17 panel, 3 full medical kits and random dressings and quicklot. the list goes on this is 5 guys on a regular day on post. imagine what you would find post teotwawki.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you need to work on your organization skills.
all that stuff was excluding my neatly packed bob as the other guys cars the same thing that stuff was in places we didnt even think to look like the spare tire stow away, under the back seat, under the front seats,

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went through my vehicles and such recently and had similar findings.
In the truck I had 45-70 rounds, .308, 5.56mm, and 9mm. 200' of rope, half a roll of bailing twine, 4 energy bars, half a box of 30-30 shells, 2 cans of sterno, a wool blanket, 1 m1 carbine mag, and a 5 round AR mag. In the minivan I found 3 boxes of .22 shells, 4 bottles of water, assorted first aid stuff, blankets, a bag of unopened gummi worms, swedish fish, 5 bungee cords, camo duct tape, and a pair of boots.
In the tractor I found a box of 12GA shells, an unopened can of skoal, a bottle of diet pepsi, 3 D batteries, 1 AA battery, a pair of wool socks, and half a bag of jerky.
In the ATV I found 200 rounds of .22, a package of fire starting sticks, a can of bug spray, and an MRE.
A lot of this is stuff I stashed in the little compartments over the years and never took out. I decided to do a roundup recently when I was trying to figure out how many rounds of .22 ammo I had. My wife just rolled her eyes, I thought it was pretty darn funny.

·
Learning
6,730 Posts
My wife's car has nothing like that in it! She keeps it totally and perfectly clean.

My Suburban, you won't find "loose ammo"; but tools, med kit, and misc. useful junk!

You and your 101st buddies at Ft. Campbell are not the majority, most people will not have any "loose ammo"...I shoot a lot and I have none (my truck from my single years had less than a dozen rounds total loose when I cleaned it out to sell it).

Maybe scavenging on post will lead to a lot, but a typical midwest town will yield nothing put old french fries and dead bugs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife's car has nothing like that in it! She keeps it totally and perfectly clean.

My Suburban, you won't find "loose ammo"; but tools, med kit, and misc. useful junk!

You and your 101st buddies at Ft. Campbell are not the majority, most people will not have any "loose ammo"...I shoot a lot and I have none (my truck from my single years had less than a dozen rounds total loose when I cleaned it out to sell it).

Maybe scavenging on post will lead to a lot, but a typical midwest town will yield nothing put old french fries and dead bugs.
good point but you are saying that out of all the choas post what ever, that during evactuation people wont load there cars with everything they can take then when out of gas take everything they can carry. like i said that was a regular day. I dont consider this looting because if i have to ditch my bov i hope someone comes along and makes use of what i left.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I respectfully disagree. I have been to a LOT of MVA's over the past 19 years and there are a lot of people out there that have all kinds of stuff in their vehicle. Maybe not always loose ammo but many people have general stuff that could be used if you were forced to scavange for supplies and materials.

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
I think that scavenging as a way to supplement your preps is not a bad idea, relying on scavenging to get you by is just asking for trouble.

You'll never find enough to live off of and depending on where you live you could be mistaken for a looter and shot.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
i agree but this is for when us preppers begin to run out so a few months into the shtf
It's safe to say many here, including myself...won't run out of anything in just a few months. More emphasis on building up stores of food and water...less on worrying about scavenging in a post apocalyptic world........:)

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
It's safe to say many here, including myself...won't run out of anything in just a few months. More emphasis on building up stores of food and water...less on worrying about scavenging in a post apocalyptic world........:)
Yeah, but that plan makes a LOUSY screenplay...

·
Registered
775 Posts
so your telling me that when all you guys from the 101st are dead and gone, we get to loot your cars?

Goody!

leave a couple of grenades a, c4, and caps for me.:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Scavaging is a timing thing. Too soon and you are looting, too late and everything has already been gone through. I guess the question is, how soon after the SHTF do you scavange?

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
also it depends on the shf.

regional like katrina, scavenging is looting.

yellow caldera blowing up, then do what you can.

Scavaging is a timing thing. Too soon and you are looting, too late and everything has already been gone through. I guess the question is, how soon after the SHTF do you scavange?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts