Survivalist Forum banner

Do you think the youth are ready for future disasters?

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Mixed

Votes: 3 10.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will come a time were man will again be pitted against formidable odds.
But just from going to school with the peers of my generation, I have found we are defiantly not ready for any kind of disaster. I think every kid should know how to maintain and farms and other structure's. But instead they spend time doing nothing but playing on their iPod's or phones. It worries me that maybe one day there will not be much left of my generation simply because we weren't prepared. So what I ask of you is simple. What can you do to ensure your child's survival? And what can we do to make the youth more informed in general? So we can in turn ensure the survival of our kind.

With the deepest sincerity,
Bio-prepper

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Well, my son is 23 and raised as a survivalist, he was in boy scouts, volunteered all of his life, and He is in the military now.
Get the kids off of the video games and get them outside. Stop the tail from wagging the dog. Tell parents to be parents. I'm 46 and MY generation has used TV, Video games, and the computer as babysitters.
The youth today, in the most part, are nothing but people that want "instant gratification". What can we do??? Smack their parents :)

·
Not on our watch
694 Posts
Men need to start being men, not little boys playing video games and watching cartoons. I am sick of all these p***ified men wearing dipty doo in their hair and women's jeans! Time to man up, learn how to actually lead your family. Learn self sufficiency skills and for gods sake, pass them on to your children. They will thank you for it later!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And that's what disappoints me the most. That sooner or later when SHTF that more people will die than necessary (especially youths) because of incompetence on the parents behalf. However kids today really do tend to live in the "now" do to the fact that their simply spoiled rotten by parents. Parents need to start getting out again and teaching youths how to be youths. Not heathens. Its amazing just how much kids have changed over the years. And even though I might be young I can take a step back and look just how much its changed. Its that noticeable.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
I think ever year we get further and further away from the era of the depression, the "softer" we get. As a general statement and of course not encompassing all, this is the "me" generation. All about me and all for me.

People have left the farms where most lived and "all" worked, from shortly after birth till the day they passed. The depression only took just so much from them for they had learned how to take care of themselves and others from the time of birth.

These days the interest in self sufficiency, hunting, fishing, etc doesn't exist on a level that it did at that time. The interest is in electronic toys, girls, boys, instant reward, and the feeling that no one can fail. When things go down the tube, as I believe they are heading, this generation will be woefully prepared. Their only chance will be to realize that those who are a bit older may possibly be a little smarter than the youth of today believes, and learn as much from the older generations as possible, as quickly as they can before a truly great resource is gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And its this feeling of no one can fail that really has me confused. Competition is almost a sinful word in schools today because they want the playing field to be equal for everyone. And while this is a good system in theory, it is not sufficient when put to the test. I have seen and experienced this on many occasions. Were they will put the more developed with the kids who could honestly care less about whats going on, just to even it out. Why must the successful and trying be weighed down by the careless and ignorant?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
This is going to sound very sexist, but teach every women the skills. I say this because as the mother she will teach her children, Dad's will do this too but in the USUAL mix of jobs and the like its the mother who has more time with her kids. There will always be the exception to the rule.

In the UK we have a problem teaching parents how to parent, people just get so ansty about it al, where as when I was a child you were raised by the whole community especially when you had bad parents. It seems to me everyone sees themselves as good parents when to be quite frank they are very lacking. In my view a parents job is to bring up a child in secure loving household with boundaries and to teach them key skills for life in adulthood, but Im afraid this isn't the case in the UK today for the majority of children.

If the parents aren't on board then at school they really need to get it straight on what a child needs to adult life and teach it. For me that would include bushcraft skills, first aid, map reading, history, tayloring, financial budgeting, cooking, cleaning, animal husbandry, and how to deal with lifes stresses so meditation (spiritual practice), and exercise every day, etc.

One way the current children learn is through gaming, so why not put one on the market that teaches this, so they have to learn a new skill before they go up a level. It would get the information into the kids minds and once it's there hopefully it will stay. Yes it's not experience but at least they are half way there.

·
Garbage Collector
11,364 Posts
chalk it up to natural selection, those that are not equipped with the skills, knowledge or initiative to survive will die. Leaving those of us that do more resources.

I have no patience or tolerance for stupid or lazy.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
And its this feeling of no one can fail that really has me confused. Competition is almost a sinful word in schools today because they want the playing field to be equal for everyone. And while this is a good system in theory, it is not sufficient when put to the test. I have seen and experienced this on many occasions. Were they will put the more developed with the kids who could honestly care less about whats going on, just to even it out. Why must the successful and trying be weighed down by the careless and ignorant?
Why should those who work to survive have to give to support those who don't care to work? Of course not counting the truly needy. The world in its attempt to be fair is woefully unfair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed that's why I feel I would educate and teach others to be self sufficient. So that in turn, in case of a disaster, I wouldn't have to see my fellow peer's die. But at a point people have to learn the world isn't fair and that sometimes you cant press a magical button and restart, like most youths today are brought up by. I don't wish to see other's die so that I may outdo them. I instead wish to see them live so that they can in turn help me. But again it boils down to what parents teach their children. And you cant force a horse to drink. However in the end they and their children will suffer for the choices they make. In that sense it is almost tragic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean. IN grade school and through some of high school ,the staff of these schools are against competition and bog down on people that are smarter and are more capable and act like everybody wins and no one will be defeated or lose.

I learned it through soccer and it's not a big deal. Oh NOES!!! My little Susie or John will have his self esteem hurt because they can't deal with losing. In fact, most schools in general barely prepare you for the real world and in my opinion that is where many fail. College then comes around where you get that competition and then you are not prepared for it , therefore you can't survive for long. Having an equal playing field quite sucks to be honest.

I'm from the same generation as you and I get it. Watch some cartoons and play the occasional game or two, and I can say honestly that I am not much of a survivalist. But if things went down the ****ter, I know how to lay low and by any means , protect where I live. IF there's one thing I do know is that I would find ways to survive and go without conveniences while keeping up the way I live as much as possible.

If something were to happen tomorrow, well I'd be screwed to be honest, but I hope there is time to learn.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Purdy Bear, Wow..... Someone told you to dumb your intelligence down? Really? I thought that crap ended in high school and I haven't had that much in my experience. If people want to be ****ing stupid, let them. In the end it will be us whom live.

@Nightwind, I definitely agree with what you are saying. These past two generations have been ruined by feminism and while I believe in equal voice, men and women are different, both physically and mentally and the cash gap is determined by this difference as well. We won't be equal in out bodies and mind , but in being fair [not liberal fair]? Yeah.

Many men today are feminine and women are masculine, but hasn't this always been the case with some people?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Many men today are feminine and women are masculine, but hasn't this always been the case with some people?

In my day if a boy came to school with nail polish on the beating he got would remind him he was male and to at least act like a man!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In this scenario they would be the first to go. People who dable in petty bull will either have to realize that the world isn't going to rebound as fast. Or suffer the consequences. But still we must prepare the youth instead of letting them continue aloof. Because the results would be damaging for us all.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would hate to see a dozen 20 year old droped off in the woods .I dont think they would make it over two weeks.
If there isnt an apt they are lost . i hate to say it but about 80 % of the young women today cant cook if it dosent go in the micro wave they have no idea how to fix any thing.
Hand them a skilet and a bag of flour they just look at you and are lost. Most dont even want to get their hands dirty they wont clean some thing thats been killed . ITs gross I am not tuching that.
The same with the guys too most cant start a fire or do any hard labor. If you told them they had to walk 10 miles they would look at you and are you crazy no body can do that. i rember my grand mother telling me about her bother walking to Calf took him 4 weeks that was in 1912 .
There were not many cars you road a horse or walked plan and simple you took a chopping axe and cut your fire wood you didnt buy it . you didnt go buy stuff per packaged. We have lost it as far as being self stanning any more . And it a shame when you see young people that cant lift 75 lbs because they set around and do nothing but play X box all day. I hate to say it but 1/2 of the young people 20 to 30 will die in less than two mo. because they dont have a clue how to live with out marden stuff.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Im 64 yrs old I live in the cascade mts of washington state in my home of 30+yrs. But i was born and raised in PITTSBURGH PENNSYLVANIA in the 50,s and 60,s When i was a youngster i grew up playing army and cowboy and indians I had a bow a fishing rod and a 22 rifle in my room i was a boy scout. I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad and his ww2 buddies. they all came back from winning a war and went to work building a country 1 like the world had never seen. My dad has been gone a long time now He worked in the STEEL MILLS of pittsburgh for 38 yrs. He was a MAN and so were his buddies. MY mom like most moms back then stayed home and was a home maker [a very hard job back then] ringer warshers no dryers hang the close out on the line to dry take care of us keep a clean home allways have supper ready no matter what shift my dad worked. He and her like most american families back then were role models. my brother and me got our butts beat when we deserved it but also got to go to DEER CAMP and rabbit hunting with that same man my dad. With out the FAMILY unit of the old days there will be no saveing OUR COUNTRY from whats comeing In 50 yrs we have destroyed the greatest country on earth that the rest of the world envied to 1 that people laugh at now. Im very thankful for the country i grew up in but mheartt is very sad to see what we have become. JMO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im 64 yrs old I live in the cascade mts of washington state in my home of 30+yrs. But i was born and raised in PITTSBURGH PENNSYLVANIA in the 50,s and 60,s When i was a youngster i grew up playing army and cowboy and indians I had a bow a fishing rod and a 22 rifle in my room i was a boy scout. I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad and his ww2 buddies. they all came back from winning a war and went to work building a country 1 like the world had never seen. My dad has been gone a long time now He worked in the STEEL MILLS of pittsburgh for 38 yrs. He was a MAN and so were his buddies. MY mom like most moms back then stayed home and was a home maker [a very hard job back then] ringer warshers no dryers hang the close out on the line to dry take care of us keep a clean home allways have supper ready no matter what shift my dad worked. He and her like most american families back then were role models. my brother and me got our butts beat when we deserved it but also got to go to DEER CAMP and rabbit hunting with that same man my dad. With out the FAMILY unit of the old days there will be no saveing OUR COUNTRY from whats comeing In 50 yrs we have destroyed the greatest country on earth that the rest of the world envied to 1 that people laugh at now. Im very thankful for the country i grew up in but mheartt is very sad to see what we have become. JMO
This country has been on a very steep decline since the ages of common sense and knowledge have died out. I couldn't agree with you more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.