Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to spend a huge amount of time on this board talking the ongoing spiral down to a coming severe crisis. Things are just getting worse and worse. Soon something will happen. Something big. The S will hit the Fan. Any day now. Maybe tomorrow. The Collapse is coming.

Or maybe not. Maybe things have become better. From a global perspective I would recommend everyone to take a look at the lectures made by Hans Rosling. Rosling is a researcher that has combined statistical information from every country around the world a how this has changed over time. And guess what. Things are getting better and have been for a long time. You can find a lecture by on this subject at TED. We live longer. We are healthier. Per definition people survive longer than ever before. http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_reveals_new_insights_on_poverty.html

Now there are still major problems in the world. Two billion people live in poverty; almost one billion people live in such conditions that they don’t have access to food, clean water, healthcare or basic security. Democracy and freedom are not a right in every country. But things are getting better, check out the site Freedomhouse and check how the world has changed during the last years. Don’t just focus on all the bad stuff in the world.

So this is my question to you: In what ways do you think the world has become a better place? What hope do you see for the future?

If you can’t find anything positive about anything, please post this in another thread. This is an attempt to see things from a perspective we normally don’t talk about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The world as we know it is changing. It is always changing. I believe that man defies change because he feels as if he is not in control of the change. It is man that always steps in and fouls up things in the name of fixing it. If you don't fear change so much, maybe you could breath in alittle easier and maybe just enjoy this day, for it is the task at hand. Do not worry about the troubles of tommorrow, because it is going to change. Just be prepared and roll with it brother.:thumb: At the end of our life, we will look back at all the changes that we have witnessed and say to our self, " I couldn't have changed that, even if I had wanted to!".

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice to see someone else with their head screwed on right.

People have an instinctive tendency to focus on the bad, to be pessimistic, and to believe that the world is always getting worse. It was probably an adaptive mindset earlier on in human history. However, the facts mostly contradict conventional wisdom.

Medical technology gets better each day, which makes it easier for people to live longer and healthier lives.

Computer technology and the Internet are both advancing rapidly, giving people more convenience and more options for work, leisure and learning.

War is increasingly pushed to the fringes of the world and kills a decreasing percentage of the human population.

I see a lot to be happy for.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The flowers on the trees, shrubs and even things like the daffodils look very nice this time of the year. Hopefully it will be a bountiful crop. Just the smell of the cherry and plum blossoms in the morning seem to brighten up my day.

We still live in the land of plenty. Fertile soil and plenty of sun and rain.

Yes, we do live much longer, but my 80 year old parents still work so I guess I'll be working as long if not longer. Most of my grandparents only lived to around that age, or less.

That they still look at me and say I'm still young, though over 50, seems weird.

That more and more folks are waking up and getting involved with preparing and politics is encouraging.

·
Endure ~ Adapt ~ Overcome
281 Posts
I agree, Things are getting better and will continue to. The world economic decline is only temporary, The wars in afghanistan and Iraq are being scaled down and the troops are scheduled for withdrawl in the next four years, People are beginning to see global warming and climate change as extremely hyped up propaganda and it looks like the left wingers will lose control of congress in November.... :D:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, Things are getting better and will continue to. The world economic decline is only temporary, The wars in afghanistan and Iraq are being scaled down and the troops are scheduled for withdrawl in the next four years, People are beginning to see global warming and climate change as extremely hyped up propaganda and it looks like the left wingers will lose control of congress in November.... :D:
to show respect for the OP i am posting a response to this in the opposition thread

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
If things get better its only because our "leaders" backed down.

I expect it will get better. Even if the SHTF, it will get better. Hell it can't get much worse and still be civilized!

Once the Sheeple die off, things will be a LOT better.

Is that positive enough for ya? ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.