Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Awake Now
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I tried the search bar ,before I posted this and couldnt seem to come across anything .So I figure Id ask yall opinion..

IM only 38 and was just a kid when gas was real gas .Fuel from what my Ol'Timer buddies said that you could put away for a long time and it still be very useable ..

Today with BIO-Fuel ,(and the additives in regular gas)and the relative short shelf life of fuel ,what kind of options does one have for long term fuel storage ..?
I ve seen the "extend life " additives before but have NO experience with them .

Im looking into GI style 5 gallon cans ,and would like to hear what you have done with issues concerning this matter ..

So please chime in ..If you know about "fuel extenders " please post ..

Thanks

PzH

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I store 20 5 gal jugs, that I rotate through every few months. At this point I store stabil, but I don't use it..It's a pain to fill them then add to cars, but worth it..Post $htf, I would add the stabil to each of the stored jugs..I would also add stabil to my three vehicles, as I would use the fuel for cooking and running a generator..I figure it should last at least a year...

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I am not big on additives, I do rotations instead...that said I do use Stabil in a 15gal tank I keep at the BOL for the 4wheelers and the chainsaws...my other tanks I rotate once a month.

·
Registered
33,067 Posts
Here ya go: http://www.baproducts.com/images/prig.jpg

If you rotate your gas out every few Months you won't have to use stabilizers until TS hit's TF. You can keep it fresh.

I usually rotate my entire stock at least every 3-4 Months...I keep stabilizers on hand but don't plan to use them unti I need them.

·
Awake Now
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn Guys ,that was quick .,.This forum is on spot ..

I never thought of a rotation plan , and the Stabilizer will be put away for "after "..

IM just a regular Joe with a garage , where do you guys store that much fuel safely ?

THANKS AGAIN!!

PzH

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I have a 15gal in the back of my truck, another 15 gal at the BOL garage, 2 7 gals in my residence garage...its not a lot of fuel really, I was looking really hard at a 109 gal aux tank for my truck, expensive, overkill and turns my truck into a tanker....decided to stick with what I have.

·
dog bites...owner shoots!
206 Posts
I use 55 gallon drums so I can rotate my fuel...right now I'm burning gasoline that I paid $2.99 a gallon that was purchase back in January! I keep a dozen big Stabils just in case we have to do the long storage thing!

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I use 55 gallon drums so I can rotate my fuel...right now I'm burning gasoline that I paid $2.99 a gallon that was purchase back in January! I keep a dozen big Stabils just in case we have to do the long storage thing!
Do you wait till the drum goes empty, or do you just add fresh fuel when needed to top it off?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
One other point Ill add is that temperature change is what destroys gasoline. The best way to store gas long term is underground in a cool dark place like a root cellar. Store in plastic gas cans with stabil and you can get up to three years if kept under 70 degrees. Ground temperature is under 60 degrees. This is one of the reasons why all gas stations have underground tanks. I would still rotate and keep your gas fresh. I just used some in my tractor from last fall. No problems. I only keep 60 gallons so I use it pretty fast. Kingfish

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
a local survivalist who is a neighbor to one of my coworkers has undeground tanks, but one of his tanks ruptured contaminating his WELL about a month ago. Nothing they could do to save the well.

·
dog bites...owner shoots!
206 Posts
Do you wait till the drum goes empty, or do you just add fresh fuel when needed to top it off?
I use up a drum at a time before refilling it...I have ran fuel that was over a year old, without any stabil and could not see any problems other than a little spark knock from time to time and that's only in really hot weather!

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts
Rotation is the best method. As for preservatives, PRI-G is the best that I know of. A little harder to find than Stabil and such, but worth it. You can also re-treat the fuel to get even longer life.

What I do is rotate the fuel regularly to keep it fresh. With the plan to add preservatives to it if needed for storage. I used to preserve it and let it sit, rotating it every year or so. But keeping it fresh is really a better idea, because it will have less age on it when it's needed for storage.

Even at that, gas has several things in it. It has a small amount of I believe propane or some other gaseous compound, to make it easier to start. Along with whatever ethanol component that is being added lately. These make storage harder, as the propane evaporates out and ethanol absorbs moisture.

This is part of the reason that I made the switch over to diesel. It just makes more sense anyway. And it stores a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Rotation is the best method. As for preservatives, PRI-G is the best that I know of. A little harder to find than Stabil and such, but worth it. You can also re-treat the fuel to get even longer life.

What I do is rotate the fuel regularly to keep it fresh. With the plan to add preservatives to it if needed for storage. I used to preserve it and let it sit, rotating it every year or so. But keeping it fresh is really a better idea, because it will have less age on it when it's needed for storage.

Even at that, gas has several things in it. It has a small amount of I believe propane or some other gaseous compound, to make it easier to start. Along with whatever ethanol component that is being added lately. These make storage harder, as the propane evaporates out and ethanol absorbs moisture.

This is part of the reason that I made the switch over to diesel. It just makes more sense anyway. And it stores a lot longer.
I believe its butane, or butyl alcohol (forgive my spelling). More of which is used in winter blend fuel, as is ethanol.

Both of those substances are hygroscopic, which is what makes todays gasoline so ''unstorable''. Off the shelf fuel in a gas canister will yield efficiency for 3 months.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd recommend looking around for a non-chain fuel station that still sells ethanol-free gasoline. I have one about a block from my apartment, and I've been using it exclusively for about six months. Costs more, but I get better MPG, less hesitation, cleaner plugs, etc.
I would also imagine that it would store better!

(I'm planning on testing this theory soon...storing some gas is my next priority. I was there for the gas station wars after the hurricanes a few years ago...not fun.)

NOTE: one of the local places that sells ethanol-free is advertised as a general/industrial fuel depot with propane, etc being the main product. Sometimes you have to look hard and ask around to find a source. Also, that particular fuel depot requires that you pump the gas into a container...some new federal mandate about non-ethanol gas being forbidden for common-folk to use so they can't actually see it being pumped into your car. Could be a crock, who knows.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
It is better to store ethanol (corn likker!:thumb:) than to bother with fossil fuels.

Grain based (NOT wood based) ethanol is useful for fuel, cleaning wounds, drinking, etc. that fossil fuels would never be used for. Plus it has NONE of the spoilage issues that refined fossil fuel has.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.