Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this smatchet about a year ago at a gunshow. It's a versatile edged tool that IMHO should be in everyones inventory/B.O.B. etc....moot point.

However, can ANYONE here give me a website that would sell a scabbard for this implement? PLEASE?? Post here or PM me. All is appreciated! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The original Smatchet was a tool issued to OSS operatives in WWII. If you can find one of these originals, expect to pay a minimum of $1000! They are quite collectible. God Bless, Jerry
Camillus, Boker (Pictured), Al Mar, Gerber, Blackjack, Wells Creek and a few others have all made modern versions of the smatchet even Bark River is making one now called the Clax...Boker even offered them in two different sizes...

Custom makers Yancy and Plowshare Forge still make them...

They were beveled differently from one side to the other...one was sharpened for chopping (axe like bevel) and the other razor sharp and was indicated by a small hole on that side of the blade...They were patterned after the WW1 machine gunners knife...

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look up in the sticky section for my post called Leather and Kydex Sheath Makers...

That is not a smatchet, I do not know what it is but it sure isn't a smatchet, regardless what the vendor told you...

This is:
'Tell ya what it does....it works well. It's quite a multi purpose edged tool/weapon. VERY well balanced for throwing as well. :thumb:

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
Ya, my smatchet looks like the Roman short sword too. It was made for me, by a now deceased uncle, from a VW sway bar. Its one of my most precious possessions. Its a wall hanger now.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
'Tell ya what it does....it works well. It's quite a multi purpose edged tool/weapon. VERY well balanced for throwing as well. :thumb:
I'm not faulting the device you have, looks to be a very useful design similar to a TOPS and others Harpoon blade and would probably throw quite well as you state...It's just not a smatchet...

Did you find a sheath maker in the list...Survival Sheath Systems I know will make one for it but will probably require the blade to fit it.

That just cries for a hybrid sheath, Kydex inner liner to hold the sharp part with a leather sheath to hand from your belt.

·
Registered
578 Posts
American ME! While I agree with SeekHer that what you have is not a smatchet. I REALLY would like to see a clearer PICs of it. Because...
A.) I am not sure what it is or who it was made by.
B.) Looks to be of high quality having good fit and finish.

so...POST MORE PICS ;) then we can give it a name!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm not faulting the device you have, looks to be a very useful design similar to a TOPS and others Harpoon blade and would probably throw quite well as you state...It's just not a smatchet...

Did you find a sheath maker in the list...Survival Sheath Systems I know will make one for it but will probably require the blade to fit it.

That just cries for a hybrid sheath, Kydex inner liner to hold the sharp part with a leather sheath to hand from your belt.
Piggy backed with a Hoffman Harpoon...

·
Custom Knife Maker
229 Posts
I bought this smatchet about a year ago at a gunshow. It's a versatile edged tool that IMHO should be in everyones inventory/B.O.B. etc....moot point.

However, can ANYONE here give me a website that would sell a scabbard for this implement? PLEASE?? Post here or PM me. All is appreciated! :thumb:
If you haven't found someone yet to make you a sheath for it I have a lot of experience with Kydex and its all I use. Just buy the Kydex you want and ship it to me and I will make it for you. Here is a pic of my latest work, I couldn't figure out how to make a sheath for my pig sticker and then finally came up with this. I can make a thigh holster or belt holster for you, you just pay for the materials and shipping plus $5 for my labor (yes I know I'm a cheap laborer):thumb:.

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
Google petesknives.com Pete Semich is a custom knife maker near Nashville Tn.. He makes a hatchet much like the one you have. I'll bet he could make one(sheath) for you. Although I don't think you can beat Jmacs offer! (that's why I'm a member of this forum, you just can't beat the people!!!!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The original Smatchet was a tool issued to OSS operatives in WWII. If you can find one of these originals, expect to pay a minimum of $1000! They are quite collectible. God Bless, Jerry
Do you want to cry?
About 30+ years ago my dad was working for a federal agency - had been for 20 years or so.

He gave me a "big knife" to run around the woods with. Seemed his work had given it to him , "they dug it out of a warehouse" and issued it but he had a home made knife made of spring steel that he used instead. He said, "you can chop, hack, dig holes -whatever"

It was BRAND NEW.
The sheath was PRISTINE.
It was MINT

I proceeded to chop, hack and dig holes with it.
I later joined the military and would occassionaly take it to the jungle and bash stuff with it.

The belt loop broke.
I replaced it with strapping tape and ALICE clips and covered it with 100 mph tape.
The lanyard went away.
I replaced it with 550 cord.

And then one day I learned what I had.
I showed the article to my wife.
She said, "Go take that off your LBE" (she speaks LBE) "you lose too many knives out there".

Yeah - I have an original Smatchet. - In well used condtion.
NOW.....

If I had only known.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
All it is, a is a strait flat cheap Krukri.
Not that I have any thing against it , I might modify it to receive a staff to make it a spear.
That would be formidable.
I think I will still cary my western Bowie. It's a little shorter but a lot thicker. probably the same weight.
Spear point weapons can make the difference getting past the ribcage defensively or aggressively .
Where as a blunt point like the machete generally, is not a thrusting tool.
You don't think you need it till you are personally confronted with the problem.
Or you've learned from some one that has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.