Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
If that’s the path you want to go down, then why not a double barrel. All of the same pros with the addition of a quick follow up shot if you need it for very little extra weight.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If that’s the path you want to go down, then why not a double barrel. All of the same pros with the addition of a quick follow up shot if you need it for very little extra weight.
A good double barrel usually cost several times the amount of a simple single shot. Not many are made any more and if you buy cheap you may find the barrels shoot patterns to different points of aim. That is if you are willing to pattern your gun. And I for don't like over/under shotguns. I do like side by sides but you better be willing to spend $800 or more for a decent entry level side by side. I have 5 single shot SGs and only one was more than a hundred bucks. Even the cheapo Stevens 311s are well past $400 on GB. The next up are the Stoegers and those are $500+ and they may or may not shoot to the same point of aim.

I trade emails with the OP and he is well aware ot double barrel guns. But those weren't what he asked about. He asked about single shot shotguns.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A good double barrel usually cost several times the amount of a simple single shot. Not many are made any more and if you buy cheap you may find the barrels shoot patterns to different points of aim. That is if you are willing to pattern your gun. And I for don't like over/under shotguns. I do like side by sides but you better be willing to spend $800 or more for a decent entry level side by side. I have 5 single shot SGs and only one was more than a hundred bucks. Even the cheapo Stevens 311s are well past $400 on GB. The next up are the Stoegers and those are $500+ and they may or may not shoot to the same point of aim.

I trade emails with the OP and he is well aware ot double barrel guns. But those weren't what he asked about. He asked about single shot shotguns.
Stoegers are what you'd expect for a $300 (on sale) shotgun. Heavy, bulky, don't point well and clunky in general.

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
IMO, as a matter of reference, the 1929 crash rendered almost all of the wild life nationwide extinct.

With the volume of shooters and gun owners now it is likely that the wild life will disappear more quickly.
The threat will be well armed others, looking for food.
I am not sure a shot gun of any sort will be sufficient.
I have vintage single and double barreled shot guns but I don't think any of them can stand up to the threat.
I think it romantic to assume on can revert to black powder, honestly unless your making it your self and your primers that is very ambitious.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I have many single shots and I have something like 15 barrels for my H&R SB2's and Partners, as well as many chazel 18" adapters. I think they are a great addition to the toolbox and for hunting. Great to know that I can shoot just about every common caliber, as well as, 10 gauge to 410.

I actually prefer to shoot my single shots nowadays because of scarcity of ammo and reloading supplies. Not that I'm running low but with the scarcity of replenshiment and expense, a single shot slows my roll down at the range.

But if this is another one gun for TEOTWAWKI thread, a single shot 12 gauge isn't it. Definitely will have a H&R SB2 frame. and 2 rifle cals, most likely the 270 or 25-06 and the 308 barrel since that is easier to find ammo for, as well as. at least a 20 gauge barrel in the truck to augment my primary choices, but it isn't my go to TEOTWAKI gun.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm an adult,but not a big guy..those single shots still thump me pretty good after a few rounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
IMO, as a matter of reference, the 1929 crash rendered almost all of the wild life nationwide extinct.

With the volume of shooters and gun owners now it is likely that the wild life will disappear more quickly.
The threat will be well armed others, looking for food.
I am not sure a shot gun of any sort will be sufficient.
I have vintage single and double barreled shot guns but I don't think any of them can stand up to the threat.
I think it romantic to assume on can revert to black powder, honestly unless your making it your self and your primers that is very ambitious.
Best of luck to you.
To be bluntly and brutally honest... in my thinking; after the first two years or so, you’ll be good to go. Urban centers will terrifyingly quickly become “no go” “death” zones- most will kill each other fighting over supplies or other commodities. The rural areas.... what is it to survive off the land when a lot of us do it already ? The rural areas (at least mine) also remember the Depression well... kill no more than you can eat and preserve. Multiple of us have already had intense discussion concerning such an event(s)... we would hopefully band together

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Agree with JoeM. The dependent welfare class will not wander far from the city, beyond suckling distance of the government teat. Those who have exercised their triggers and evacced to the BOL outside the Moderate Damage Radius have hopefully made contacts in their adopted rural community and respectfully contribute to its general welfare. The unprepared in denial who bug out with no plan, without becoming established in the community will be resisted as intruders, rather than being accepted as allies.

Those remaining in the cities after a few months will be reduced to stray cats and dogs, rats and "long pig."

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’v been musing of late, and reached a conclusion regarding what is, in my humble opinion, the best option for a “pick your bad scenario” shotgun. The old single shot... God Himself only knows how many millions have been made, most of em are simple and reliable as can be, with few moving parts to wear or break. Loads for literally anything from birds and bunny, to bear; and everything between. With a black powder adapter, you don’t even have to have cartridges... just 209 primers or percussion caps (I’ve seen both)... just pour your charge, tamp it, wad, pour whatever you have on hand down the barrel, wad; then have at it.

Anyways... I’m fond of the platform in general, if it isn’t obvious. Any fellow single shot lovers on here ?
Short answer, no. With that, pump only and just one brand/model in one gauge but two guns (speaking only or shotguns) a full stock short barrel 12ga, 5rds in the gun and 9 on board with a light on the rail, for home defense only. The other also full stock 30" barrel with vent rib and a full compliment of screw in chokes for all out door activities. I can do a complete tear down (not including trigger pack and bolt internals) in just under two minutes and reassemble in a little over three. Bolt and trigger take appreciably longer. I built both guns from parts and refinished, upgraded and improved both guns to better than new condition and have a large collection of good quality replacement parts all purchased (with diligent shopping) for a lot less (in $) than you could buy 2nr rate guns of the same brand. I consider my labor an added value in more than one sense. An aside; I also have, inherited from my dad, an early 10-22. a tack driver, a fully customized and equipped AR15, a 336 in 30-30 for bush hunting hogs, a m700lr in 300rum for anything else at a distance and a S&W M&P40 on my side at all times for, well we all know what it's for. Since I don't plan on a bug out (stand and fight for me and mine, my credo, I mean where would we go anyway), my more than ample ammo stash will always be at my right hand (around here they say if you don't have at least 10k rounds for every weapon you own you are no patriot, but I have to admit I haven't hit that mark and probably never will especially the 300rum I mean have you seen the price, I'll definitely be reloading if need be). So in conclusion single shot shotgun, I'll leave that to other more traditional shooters.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts