Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've never quite understood the obsession with single-shot firearms, myself. If I had to choose only one gun for survival in the bush, and was looking for simple and reliable, it would be Baikal IZH-94 TAIGA in 12GA over .308. Why settle for one barrel when you can have two? Sadly, the ban on Russian imports has made them scarcer than hens teeth. It's a shame they don't make them in 12GA over 7.62x39, judging by the cost of .308 ammo these days.
Its shocking how much Baikal stuff is going for. They are simple and solidly made, but hardly very sophisticated or refined. Always seem to go bang, though.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I have my grandfather's old single shot 12ga. It's killed more animals than most people on this board have taken.

But I did spend too much on it. I had it reblued and bought a new hammer for it because the half **** was worn. I hand made a new stock for it. Sentimental junk.

He spent $5 for it and got a box of 12 ga rabbit load with it.

He had it on him for as long as I could remember plus a couple three decades. He had a box of mixed shells in the tractor and truck to pick what he needed when the opportunity presented itself.

I've picked up and fixed several others over the years from $25-$50. They can break but are simple technology with few parts.. When they are broken they are even cheaper.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
For hunting it forces you to shoot better because you likely don't get a second shot. The best teaching tool for learning to hit things consistently is something that slows you down and gives you no follow up.
I’ve never agreed with that idea. There’s MANY ways to do the same thing. Load one round in a mag, or load through the ejection port.

But mostly, it’s a little self discipline, which I learned without being forced to shoot single shot guns. If I want to hit something in one shot....and I do want that...then a follow up shot isn’t even a consideration. Even if I have 30 rounds, I don’t feel the need to blow them all off.

I keep an old Stevens 20ga as a knock about forager, had it for many years countless shells through it. Contrary to popular belief they do break, mine has the front trigger guard breach latch broke the whole assembly once and the hammer spur another time not even sure how but it was rolling around under the jumpseat in the truck like always and when i drug it out wah la it was broke... I welded the spur and bought the trigger guard and breech latch from Gun Parts & Firearm Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
My dad’s old Stevens 12 gauge model 94 has a cracked stock. Maybe I’ll fix it some day.

Its shocking how much Baikal stuff is going for. They are simple and solidly made, but hardly very sophisticated or refined. Always seem to go bang, though.
Same thing applies to the Saiga guns. I have a rifle and a shotgun. Worth 3-4 times what I paid, now.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
You can load one shot, but really it does work. I learned on an air rifle. Every missed shot meant pumping back up. We were told to clear the area of sparrows craping on tractor seats. We picked them off in tree branches moving in the wind using iron sights. But that's pre-teen brothers.

Everything since has been easy. Even moving targets or me moving. I start everyone on low speed to learn wind.

I understand getting semi autos with more capability. But a single shot will feed you for cheap if you don't live in an area where you expect firefights. I'd use something more suited in that case. But I'd give a kid a single shot 12ga with rabbit load to fetch dinner if we aren't killing each other. Given most kid's impulse control and video game experience, I'd save ammo by limiting them.

If a single shot was $200 I'd buy a cheap knockoff pump instead. But single shots were much cheaper at one point in the not so distant past.

Things are somewhat upside down now. I can get a low end pump for $199. So a $150 single shot is more dumber.

I have 4 that cost $200 total.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wish I still had the old H&Rs or NEFs I have sold or traded away, but I switched over to the SxSs a long time ago. Just as simple and rugged, and 2 choke options with twice the rounds on board, and they can be for different uses. Until recently you could pick some of them up pretty reasonably.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I wish I still had the old H&Rs or NEFs I have sold or traded away, but I switched over to the SxSs a long time ago. Just as simple and rugged, and 2 choke options with twice the rounds on board, and they can be for different uses. Until recently you could pick some of them up pretty reasonably.
my brother gave me an abused SxS 12 ga that had some major chemical damage to the stock. I cut it to 18.25, cut an inch off the stock, added a slip on recoil pad, and a ammo sock on the stock. Great gun for taking game or pests from a tractor. I prefer arevolver for turkey ( you will kill the turkey or miss- no peppering the body with shot) but it was awesome for rabbits, deer, snakes, armadillos, and beaver. I didn’t really trust my Mini-14 for deer then, nor was it legal. 223 was better getting pop up shots at turkey or beaver.

Amazing how fast you could load it and shoot with two shells- either buckshot, high base birdshot or low base bird shot. I epoxied a small weaver rail on the underside and put a sure fire 6P on there. Latter put a tritium bead there. Great for ambushing beaver at night. Cylinder bore with #4 BS IS ideal for “Hunting” them vs shooting one crossing the lake. 3” pipe makes a great gun rack, 6” pipe mounted on the RoPS makes a gun case, and like I sad, it’s smooth yanking out of a pickup seat.

Othwuse, I hate SxS for shooting- love my O/U, 870s, Benelli, etc

I built a matching tactical O/U in 20 ga for a petite friend. It’s short and handy like as SBS, and out points any 12ga.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
Lacking something such as a full set of adapters allowing the shottie to shoot .22’s, all pistol rds and selected rifle rds , Id say no to the single shot when pumps are still plentiful…jmo

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
A little known issue with old double barrel shotguns is that when they do break (and they do) the actions have to be disassembled in jigs or fixtures due to spring pressures and tight fits. I would assume the same would hold true of single shot shotguns. So while it may be "less likely" to suffer a mechanical failure, I think a better way to look at it is that it should have a longer interval between mechanical failures. Because everything breaks eventually. The question then becomes "is it easier to fix the more complex repeater that may require a punch or screwdriver, or the single shot that may require a jig fixed to a workbench?" In either case, do you have the necessary spares or the capability to make them?

Single shots definitely have a place, but for a "one gun" situation I want a gun that I can fix myself even if I have to fix it slightly more often, and offers more firepower than a single shot.

I also don't see much advantage to the ability to shoot black powder. I don't realistically expect to live long enough for such a scenario to come to pass. But with a good pump, shooting good powder, you could probably shoot until you decided to stop shooting before the gun locked up. If not, that's what spray cans of Ballistol are for.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Yes, Summer of Love 2020 should have proved that to the single shot crowd. Must be dems like Joe "single shot' Biden.
Or I'd take something with 30 rounds to that. A pump shotgun is only a few rounds better unless you have a tube extension. Most pump shotguns used for hunting aren't going to be a whole lot better. Long, heavy, 3 round magazine. Most tactical aren't much better either.

If SHTF is war, well, few people carry shotguns into battle. Take your AR. If SHTF is surviving away from people, most hunters don't need high capacity.

People are so either or here with guns and ammo. It's so strange they try to shoehorn every scenario possible into every conversation. They are tools. I own multiple hammers, wrenches, and screwdrivers because different tools for different jobs. I own multiple guns for the same reason.

If people are so worried about shooting rioters they really should move to a better place.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
only thing I've come up with for a single shot and SHTF situations is for a long distance GHB >>> where you'll be hoofing it home for possibly months - dual gamegetter and limited protection - breaks down for pack storage - a few inserts to accommodate a change to pistol/rifle cartridges ...

seen quite a few single barrels "modified" for packs - all kinds of stock modifying and unfortunately cutting down the barrel without understanding what a shotgun choke is and how it functions >>

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I like my SS shotguns. My 20ga H&R Tamer that came with a buttstock that looked like one of the old Snake Charmer guns that I found to be totally useless. So I bought a regular buttstock for it and its one of my favorite guns. Here is a good video from Dave Canterbury on using the SS 12ga as a muzzle loader gun. He has several videos videos on SS shotguns posted on YT.

By the way welcome to the forum and is this you Dan?

Reactions: Forrest Mosby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I like my SS shotguns. My 20ga H&R Tamer that came with a buttstock that looked like one of the old Snake Charmer guns that I found to be totally useless. So I bought a regular buttstock for it and its one of my favorite guns. Here is a good video from Dave Canterbury on using the SS 12ga as a muzzle loader gun. He has several videos videos on SS shotguns posted on YT.

By the way welcome to the forum and is this you Dan?
It is me indeed.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Aye. I thought I recognized your writing style and phrasing. Glad you took my advice and paid a visit here.

Just remember a SS shotgun is just not that good for those pesky Zombies and you know how real those are. ;)

I have said it before that I could get by with a 22 rifle, 30-30 and single shot 20ga shotgun.

The single barrel, break open shotgun.....The real gun that settled the West.
I have said that myself several times in the past. I have read a lot of single shot shotguns were modified from Civil War rifles that were bored out smooth and made the trip west on the Oregon Trail. They were cheap and plentiful and about all some of those land hungry pioneers could afford. Nothing fit the bill better anyway. There have been a couple of good articles in the Backwoodsman magazine about these guns known as "Sodbuster Shotguns".

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
i love shotguns. they're just such a practical tool for so many situations. they're like the duct-tape of firearms. to my mind, there's really only 4 kinds of situations a shotgun won't do well. trying to hunt or fight at ranges beyond 100 yards, and when lightweight or concealable carrying loads are an important factor.

regarding the chamber adapters and inserts. i have wanted to like the idea. i have looked at many options, read many reviews, etc. my judgement is this: they almost never justify either their price or weight. almost every situation that is used to justify their use is either based on fantasy or a poor use of resources. a 4" 22LR adapter for a 12 gauge is going to weigh about 10oz. a ruger tac-lite 22/45 22LR only weights 27oz. And it's an entirely separate firearm with multi-shot capability, can be shot with one hand, and is concealable. the same sort of thing plays out with other caliber adapters. and if you get the really long adapters to try to make it rifle-parity in terms of performance, those are pretty heavy, and then you're talking about, essentially, toting extra rifle barrels around in the woods that share a single point of failure. even if they were given away free, i'm not sure they'd earn a place in your kit.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This is the only chamber adapter I have ever wanted. I am on the "notify me" list for when they become available. I want the 11" version if I can get it. https://chaszel.com/product/357-mag-shotgun-adapters/

But its not totally needed. I have a 2 ball load for 20ga that uses two .490 muzzle loader balls and they shoot decent out to 40 yards if you need to take a deer or something larger. I can load these on my Lee Load all in regular shells and SP-20 wads. They are a perfect fit.

I have several deer way closer to me than 40 yards. I have had two stand right by me not 6 foot away and never knew I was there. And I don't even wear camo.

Reactions: Forrest Mosby
21 - 40 of 50 Posts