Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know there's plenty of other threads about this, but I like the idea of having one of my own. That being said...

This summer when my next birthday comes around I plan on buying a new rifle. I recently saw the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308. Right off the bat, this rifle looks COOL. I have always admired the bolt action mag fed design. I thought about getting a Remington 700 with a replacement trigger guard that allows it to accept mags, but this rifle seems better suited for it. I know it's made for a forward mounted optic, like a red dot or a pistol scope. I think that this would make a good all purpose utility rifle.

I also laid eyes on the Ruger 77/357 rifle. It's a short, 18.5" bolt action 357 magnum. I think it has potential, it could take medium game with ease. It could fire both 357 and 38 special rounds.

What do you think?

·
fallen from grace
377 Posts
my 2, if it (whatever) looks COOL, you don't need it. in my opinion form follows function, but thats my way of thinking

·
Registered
507 Posts
Get what you like, and can afford, learn to use it, fix it, maintain it, and stock up on ammo.

In other words: Be Prepared.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The Ruger Gunsite Scout will accept standard scopes but it's very limited in cartridge selection.

The problem with rifles chambered for pistol cartridges is that you're firing pistol cartridges from a rifle...That means that your range is very limited, like 150 yd max.

Go with the Scout.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
I've spent a day with a GSR, very nice rifle.
If they would have made it accept more common mags (read cheap...) there would more interest from me. The AI mags are nice, but expensive. Another thing for me is that they can't be top fed.
A good Ishipore 2A, even a sporterized one, might do everything a GSR does at half the cost.
Not bashing it. It shot reasonably accurately, handled well, low recoil, and was pretty fun. You could do a lot worse.
My thing is why limit yourself to a bolt? There are so many good 308 semis available... I guess it's just a personal preference.
Which is all any of them are, really. :thumb:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't rule out Mil Surp bolt guns They are cheap and well made. Look at Mauser, Lee Enfields, and Mosins. I have 3 Mausers that have seen military service and paid $200 each for 2 of them and $400 for one. I bought my little brother a Mosin a couple years ago for $79.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The problem with rifles chambered for pistol cartridges is that you're firing pistol cartridges from a rifle...That means that your range is very limited, like 150 yd max.
Muzzle energy and velocity increases with barrel length to an appreciable point (not infinite), so a pistol cartridge fired from a rifle barrel can see dramatic improvement. I am comfortable hunting at 200 yds with a .357 mag from a 20" barreled 92 carbine - the limitation isn't the bullet or the rifle, its my eyes, I prefer iron sights. There are some factory loads for 357 that aren't very far behind a factory 30-30 load, when fired from a rifle, even smaller delta when comparing .44 magnum to 30-30. You're comparing hot loads to middle loads, sure, but if its a range issue, you can get there.

It's not a 400 yd gun, sure, but in the US, the overwhelming majority of hunting shots are taken at 80yds. Overwhelming combat is inside 200 yds ... and there are a whole lot fewer people that ought to be shooting beyond 200 yds than talk about it on the net.

Upside of the 357 rifle, you're more likely to shoot it more frequently, as the recoil is mild, and you can shoot .38 specials cheap. For hunting it'll cover from small game up to medium sized, whereas 308 is more medium and up. Unless you handload, and thats a whole 'nother set of comparisons. Personally I don't care for a bolt action in 357; the versatility of that caliber opens up with a lever or pump gun. Much quicker to get into battery in defensive situations, and reload on the fly.

What do you plan to do with this rifle? How much money do you have for ammo? Will this be an all purpose gun?
Have you looked into scout leverguns in 30-30?

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
I don't see that equasion ,pistol ammo is inferrior shot from a rifle .
The pistol looses energy simply because most of it is lost in a revolver chamber and a very short barrel.
Where as a rifle chambered in the same cannot be the same . More of the pressures are exhausted effeciently both because of the closed chambering and the longer barrel.
My .44 mag black hawk is not equal in range, to my Ruger.44 mag rifle in any way.
neither is my .357 mag revolver, equal to my .357 mag rossi carbine.
The same can be said of every other ammo round, hand guns and rifles are chambered for .
I don't have the numbers ,but it is why I prefir to carry two weapons of the same calibur ,so they can shair ammo.
I buy the magnums because they will accept the lesser round as well (usually).
The Gun I am wanting to get some day is the Tarus .45/.410 revolver rifle. Fallowing that would be one of the other Judges as well.
I have no girl friends , so I can afoard guns.
They only talk when I push their button.

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These guns are just fantasies in my head as of right now. I still have a LOT of planning to do before even the thought of buying one. My father handloads for every centerfire rifle and handgun he has.

·
Fringe Element
2,595 Posts
Why is it that when people start talking about which gun is best for a situation where
syphilization has collapsed and everything gets exchanged by barter and there's
no Internet or gun stores or gun shows, they never think about where they are
going to get **PARTS**?? for their ultra-wizzy deadly-at-1000-yards Steyr-Mannlicher
Liberal-Dispatcher???

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Why is it that when people start talking about which gun is best for a situation where
syphilization has collapsed and everything gets exchanged by barter and there's
no Internet or gun stores or gun shows, they never think about where they are
going to get **PARTS**?? for their ultra-wizzy deadly-at-1000-yards Steyr-Mannlicher
Liberal-Dispatcher???
lol well some people like me are of the thought that mankind is and has been a social creature since our inception

civilization has been around since before recorded history and while there are periods of chaos society/civilization has and will continue to march on

and in light of that i dismiss the mad max one second after types

Reactions: ChapNelson

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
lol well some people like me are of the thought that mankind is and has been a social creature since our inception

civilization has been around since before recorded history and while there are periods of chaos society/civilization has and will continue to march on

and in light of that i dismiss the mad max one second after types
I concur that we are resilient, and that some of us will bounce back. We never bounce back the same though, and the rate of recovery is often in years, not months. Two months into a 6 month recovery, you don't know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Your gun is broken, and you can't fix it - you might not live the 4 months to be one of the ones who marches on. A trained armorer/gunsmith with tools and parts might be a very important person during reconstruction.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I concur that we are resilient, and that some of us will bounce back. We never bounce back the same though, and the rate of recovery is often in years, not months. Two months into a 6 month recovery, you don't know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Your gun is broken, and you can't fix it - you might not live the 4 months to be one of the ones who marches on. A trained armorer/gunsmith with tools and parts might be a very important person during reconstruction.
while it might take 6mo to several years to "recover" the situation will stabilize/normalize much faster ok powers out across the board chances are you might have some looting and rioting for a little bit but it will be a short lived thing the new normal will settle in as people get used to it oven if power doesn't come back for a decade

and there won't be a mass die off unless its mid winter in someplace and people needed it to stay warm

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Get what you want, practice with it and become proficient, learn its working inside and out, and finally stock up on ammo or parts that might be needed.

Who cares if it isn't an AR/AK as their survival usefulness is highly over rated anyways.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts