Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading a post on FB saying people with Costco & Sam's Club carts full of toilet paper and paper towels are stupid. And then the comments that followed were stupid - to a prepper. I showed a friend of mine one time a closet full of paper towels and toilet paper and all he could say was "Now that's ridiculous!" One person said they saw signs declaring the stores were out of water, toilet paper and paper towels. These were Sam's & Costco. Tried to tell her this is just a taste of what a real calamity would look like. Brick wall. Had to relate this - too funny.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Was reading a post on FB saying people with Costco & Sam's Club carts full of toilet paper and paper towels are stupid. And then the comments that followed were stupid - to a prepper. I showed a friend of mine one time a closet full of paper towels and toilet paper and all he could say was "Now that's ridiculous!" One person said they saw signs declaring the stores were out of water, toilet paper and paper towels. These were Sam's & Costco. Tried to tell her this is just a taste of what a real calamity would look like. Brick wall. Had to relate this - too funny.
If my husband had a facebook page he would be one of the ones agreeing with the comments.:rolleyes:

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
I'm having enough blow back on posting a bunch of Trump videos and memes. I'm not even going to try to talk about this virus because I know for sure I would catch a lot of stupid comments that would make me blow my stack. Me stressing out would not be beneficial to my health in any way so I have not even bothered.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,672 Posts
I've heard and read the complaints about people running out and buying TP, water, etc.

I just roll my eyes. Yes, these last-minute preppers are behind, but at least they aren't going to be in a position to need to scavenge and kick in your door for food or TP or whatever. I support any prepping, even if last minute.

My thinking is the people complaining are so screwed b/c they have nothing put back. Those of us with supplies don't independently notice or care about others prepping last minute. We have ours...

·
Registered
152 Posts
My state had its first confirmed and a local FB news page posted about it. One guy posted legit concerns and supportive sources. About 10 people jumped him for being a fear monger, looney, etc. Some blamed people like him for causing folks to panic buy. He stated what other other health organizations have said, yet he was being burnt at the stake. I’m at a level 4 out of 10 right now. I’m planning on getting the monthly groceries today, as well as picking up extras. I got some dirty looks the other day when I picked up some stuff (water, TP, wipes, cheap canned goods, bread, and canning supplies) after work.

If I was over 60 you should be in or about to lock down, with a good supply of food. Those odds don’t look good for older folks. There’s a lady who is fighting cancer right now (and winning) at my small church. I keep thinking of her and how her cancer came at a bad time.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,310 Posts
"They" are all over Austin area Facebook groups in full panic about how the Mayor's disaster declaration and the cancelling of SXSW because of the Corona virus threat is going to destroy Austin's economy. Then there will be the double whammy in about three weeks when MotoGP is cancelled.

Yes, Austin Mayor Adler has declared a state of emergency in Austin because of the Corona Virus threat. I'm wondering how long it will be before the barricades are erected on all roads in and out of the city.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It really is strange to see the reactions of the masses. I don't know if its "ignore the problem and it will go away" mindset or just blatant stupidity. I guess if there were no such things as pandemics, terrorism, supply chain disruption, natural disasters, (e.g. a utopia) then I could see it, but "prepping" has taken place for centuries prior to J.I.T. inventory. How it has come to be a topic of poking fun of bewilders me. Almost everything we prep with can be used at some point so it's certainly not wasted and it's no different than having insurance, which most folks don't bat an eye at having.

I have one of my best friends text me the other day joking if I was all prepped up for "the virus". He knows I am, just making sh*t out of me for it. I'm ok with that though because my family will be provided for and shame on him for not doing the same.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I got some dirty looks the other day when I picked up some stuff (water, TP, wipes, cheap canned goods, bread, and canning supplies) after work.

Just a hint on cheap canned goods. Hominy might be something overlooked at first because not many folks eat it routinely. And it is one of the cheapest basic foods on the shelves. Ina #10 can it is 4-8 cents an oz.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don’t have a facebook, nothing but garbage and why would I want to spend by days with morons and arguing about pointless politics etc. social media is a waste of time.
Agree totally. I cut that cord years ago and haven't regretted a bit of it. I don't care what most people are doing nor care for them to know what I am. It's all about the "look at me" types. Reminds me of a Bible verse describing the end times:

2 Timothy 3:2: For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Isn't this what we prep for? I've been maintaining my supplies for a dozen or so years now. I have my water filter, I always have jugs of water, extra TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, many boxes of protein bars and food that doesn't require cooking. Years ago, I'd show friends my storage closet. Most though I was crazy. Now I keep silent. Very few people know I prep. I have no need to rush to the store to buy anything.

I also believe people are over reacting with Corona. it is a reminder that I am not perfect and I may need to prep a little more and not feel paranoid.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,374 Posts
I don’t have a facebook, nothing but garbage and why would I want to spend by days with morons and arguing about pointless politics etc. social media is a waste of time.
Because if everyone believes the lies of the Media there will be a panic
and I don't want to have to shoot people for trying to get my toilet paper
:D:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Most people on FB seem to be clueless.

Dr. Ben Carson this morning discussed a leaked hospital memo that stated we should expect 96 million cases, 480,000 deaths. He said this is possible. Hospitals are preparing for a wave of patients.

In the mean time make sure you wash your hands for 20 seconds, oh and you don't need a mask.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
JDH, our program management in Austin are supposed to be cutting us some significant checks the next month or so, I hope that is still in play as I am pretty sure I need a new roof.

All I did was put up a meme about people making fun of preppers until this. I don't advertise for obvious reasons.

On a side note my husband did tell one guy, who we paid to help us buy supplies, not to show up. I venture he will but we begged him to prep for over a decade and he scoffed at us.

"I'll just eat it all up (before)"
"I can live off the land" - a 70 year old obese diabetic heart patient who can't even walk to the mail box...

·
That'll be the day...
3,775 Posts
I've mentioned ZERO on Facebook. Friends and family already think I'm an idiot for having 6 months of paper products and thousands of rounds of ammo and boxes and boxes of canned goods.

I can't wait for the stories from the Millennials on social media how they ran out of toilet paper and how they are cleaning their backsides.

·
Indefatigable
20,119 Posts
The sheep are talking everywhere and they aren't necessary liberal.
From the very conservative comment section of the Tulsa World:
Take an aspirin and STFU
People will do anything to get out of work
May God deliver only the righteous from this plague

I have 34 friends on FB TWO of us are discussing it privately and we are both retired nurses. The only other mention has been a couple of posts from others saying to wash your hands and do your own research. One of those is an AF morgue technician.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts