Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we talk about SHTF situations most are fast, obvious and pretty damaging all at once.
Plague, EMP, CME, just to name a few.
But economic meltdown I would say could be the hardest to recognize and in the end one of the most dangerous.

I really feel we are at the beginning to see the start of the meltdown.
Food prices are jumping, fuel is jumping, good paying jobs are not coming back, Greece is about to be kicked out of the EU and banks are getting ready for collapse because of this.
On and on.

So what's the point of all this.
Well if everything moves this slowly when do we know when to start to use our supplies or bug out and live off the land?

When we are out of a job?
When the dollar is devalued to a certain point?
When we have bread lines?

This is all happening in Greece right now, so has their SHTF happened?

It just seems to me the worst thing that can happen is for things to move slowly. To not have society collapse so much like the frog in warm pot of water we don't know the danger until everything is boiling.

Do have a defined tipping point for an economic collapse?
If so I'd like to know your thoughts.

-HikerDad

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
16% total unemployment is meltdown for these modern times. I said to hell with it and retired 4 yrs early. Took a hell of a cut in pension doing it.

Breadlines. Have you talked to the food banks lately. They are setting records and in great need of cash and foodstuffs. I'd say we are about there. Thank you everyone that wanted to help all the 3rd world countries modernize so we could take advantage of their cheap labor. Now it's over for us.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
It's not just us. It's the entire world. People who can't see a melt down have their heads under the sand or something. The only areas doing well are those which have been given "stimulus" packages to keep them going. Just like General Motors. Sure they made a big profit, but the news also said they gave a bonus to all their workers. A bonus is a nice thing, but it's right back to the same old practices as far as I am concerned and feel they should make sure the trend of making money will continue.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Local food banks in this area are screaming for food. One in particular is leaving a truck outside of of the local grocery store during daylight hours so you can put your donations in. Also, a local town has run out of money for their emergency fuel assistance program, so last Friday night they had a benifit dance and raised 10k for the program. And this is a very very mild winter for this area.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Local food banks in this area are screaming for food. One in particular is leaving a truck outside of of the local grocery store during daylight hours so you can put your donations in. Also, a local town has run out of money for their emergency fuel assistance program, so last Friday night they had a benifit dance and raised 10k for the program. And this is a very very mild winter for this area.
One side note on that. Anyone remember the scene in Cinderella Man where Russel Crow is ashamed to take the government assistance and pays it back as soon as he can? I know people that see government entitlements (SNAP, fuel assistance, food shelf) as a way of life. A lot of people do not have enough pride to change their situation.

On the same token, I met someone who worked 60+ hours a week to provide a decent living for his family who had to go on assistance for a few months before he got his job.

There definitely are people who use these programs as intended, which is as a safety net. On the same token we see more and more people who do not even realize that these entitlements were not meant to be a way of life.

·
Ps. 16:11
23 Posts
Thoughtful question. One best answered individually, I believe. If an economic collapse is he "main" problem it will manifest itself in different "urgent" ways, in different areas (i.e. looting, rioting, food shortages, etc.) The specific urgent threat your family faces may not be the same as another family across the nation or even the state.

I don't see the SHTF so much as a one-event trigger, rather a cumulative build-up of warning flags. Most likely the prepper will need to institute his/her plans in stages to match the building threat. You may reach your full-blown emergency/survival plans before someone else.

Vigilance, intelligence, preparation, & practice. To the best of your ability make sure you (and yours) are ready spiritually, mentally, & physically for whatever the disaster may be that looms ahead.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
My trigger is China. China's economy is a massive bubble being propped up by reckless government spending and corruption, and breakneck expansion. But bubbles always pop. If China starts to go down, they'll try to stave off disaster by redeeming all the U.S. debt they currently own to get their money back. That will take us - and perhaps the rest of the world - down with them. So I watch China a lot...

·
V
21,713 Posts
I really feel we are at the beginning to see the start of the meltdown.
Food prices are jumping, fuel is jumping, good paying jobs are not coming back, Greece is about to be kicked out of the EU and banks are getting ready for collapse because of this.
On and on.
I agree fwiw, I've been saying it for a while however reality doesn't hold the glamour of a zombie apocalypse :xeye: So people will continue to ignore the truth, its already happening.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My trigger is China. China's economy is a massive bubble being propped up by reckless government spending and corruption, and breakneck expansion. But bubbles always pop. If China starts to go down, they'll try to stave off disaster by redeeming all the U.S. debt they currently own to get their money back. That will take us - and perhaps the rest of the world - down with them. So I watch China a lot...
Quite true, if China goes down the world will go down with them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's like watching (or being in) a 20 car pile-up in slow motion. We all see what is happening, but are mostly powerless to stop it.

Does anyone here honestly see a positive ending to what is going on in the world, or even one where we Americans retain an exceptional way of life?
Consider: Iran showdown, Greece, Hyperinflation, loss of key allies, national debt, OWS revolutionaries, etc....how can all of these issues ever end positively for America?

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts

So what's the point of all this.
Well if everything moves this slowly when do we know when to start to use our supplies or bug out and live off the land?

You start using your supplies when you no longer can put supplies away or bring in enough to meet present requirements. At that point you are living off the fat. You must hope that the fat will carry you and yours until the point you are able to put supplies away again. Not all that different than retirement. You hope you have enough put away to carry you until your death.

Forget bugging out and living off the land. That is a fantasy. Might be a different story if you mean take up self sufficient living through farming with suplementing food sources from fishing and hunting when they work out.

·
Registered
21,890 Posts
When the SHTF it will be a great tragedy...my job as a prepper is to make sure that our fates are still in our own hands when that happens.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This coming election will tell the tale. Do the demorats keep control? Do the repub take control? if it is a rep. which one? One or both houses rep or dem.? If the dem get and have control, you will see the 2nd ad trashed... Now who is going to stand up and say BS..... Who is going to lay down their arms and rollover? Who is not going to lick the Gov's boots and retain their arms? Big mess....

Someone has got to take control and stop this runaway gov. if not.....

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I really believe that most people in this country [THINK THIS IS AMERICA} it {CANT} happen here. We are only really AMERICAN in name we ceased to be the america of our fathers 50 yrs ago, That ww2 generation won a world WAR then came home and built a GREAT COUNTRY and every generation since has squandered it due to GREED. The play now pay later has finanly caught up with us. And WE HAVE NO WAY TO PAY. jmo

·
Registered
612 Posts
One side note on that. Anyone remember the scene in Cinderella Man where Russel Crow is ashamed to take the government assistance and pays it back as soon as he can? I know people that see government entitlements (SNAP, fuel assistance, food shelf) as a way of life. A lot of people do not have enough pride to change their situation.

On the same token, I met someone who worked 60+ hours a week to provide a decent living for his family who had to go on assistance for a few months before he got his job.

There definitely are people who use these programs as intended, which is as a safety net. On the same token we see more and more people who do not even realize that these entitlements were not meant to be a way of life.
Actually, they where intended to be a way of life. A strong central powerful government needs a dependent people...a people who supports themselves and lives for liberty is problematic for politicians.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts