Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To truly be a survivalist requires far more than merely stockpiling food and weapons. Useful and necessary skills include hunting, fishing, gardening, canning, and raising livestock such as chickens. One needs to know how to butcher and prepare animals for food. One must know how to make their own shelter and clothing. The ability to collect and store water is essential. Knowledge of edible and useful wild plants is extremely useful. Needing to run to town or the store for any essentials is disqualification.
Survival would certainly be difficult without some property to defend and call your own. In our modern world guns and the knowledge to use and maintain them is also important unless you want someone else to take it all away. Of course "our government" would like to take all of this away and have us depend on it while they continue robbing us.
Other important or at least useful skills could surely be added to this list. Proper preparation requires learning and practicing such skill sets on a regular basis. The point is that survivalism is not just a goal, but a way of life.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Needing to run to town or the store for any essentials is disqualification.
I'm confused, is your post a statement??

Can I purchase metals and still be a Survivalist or do I need to mine and smelt them myself to be truly "Self-Sufficient".

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Should we also be adept at pulling our own teeth and taking out a kidney with a spoon and a spool of tooth floss?

i do understand what you were trying to say but not in the pomposity it which you said it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It wasn't that many years ago most people were self-sufficient. It wasn't until welfare came along that things began to change. Why did anyone need to be self-sufficient anymore when the Government supplied everyones needs. Now what we have today are people who are brainwashed into believing Uncle Sam can supply them forever. We have 308 million people in this country with 43 milllion on welfare, that leaves 265 million. The Government can only hand out so much cheese. Be watchful and get prepared, pass it along to everyone you know. Be Self-sufficient and free.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
no disrespect. i am confused as to wether or not there is a question in there or just a random thought you had to get out. no problem either way. I just am not sure how to respond...

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
One thing that we have started doing is reading labels at the store. We watch out for Aspartame, high fructose corn syrup and other dangerous ingredients. I try to cook at much as I can from scratch such as bread, cookies, and spaghetti sauce etc.

Getting use to eating healthy and getting away from processed foods are a start. We will need to be as healthy as possible wtshtf.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Survivalism, as we speak of it, is lonliness, folks. Being self-sufficient, subsistance fishing and hunting, and living within your means is simply being pragmatic.

Those we like to emmulate are or were living alone and they still needed supplies from "towns" and communities. They also developed their skills in organized, modern society that needed work from them. Proenneke was a diesel-mechanic, carpenter, equipment operator and repairman IN Alaska well before he retired here. He wouldn't have been here at all if Doctors and Nurses didn't save his life when he contracted rheumatic fever during WWII.

All them years ago, when people HAD to be self-sufficient, they died pretty young, more often than not of disease and starvation, which are things modern societies, medicine and structures are supposed to work against. Western settlers in the United States had 60% mortality rates just on the trip. We are now several generations removed from immunization to diseases. What those people taught us, sacrificed for us, is that we need to earn the better lives that we live now.

If you want to wander around the woods in a loincloth, get your shots first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts