Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I got 1 about a year or so ago. The little that I have used it so far, it has done well. I used it the other day to chop down a few pieces of green bamboo. Have used it to make fire sticks, slice roast, etc and it has done fine. the only thing is the scales do not follow the edge of the tang. The tang extends out a very little in places. I could either grind it down or replace the scales if it were every to bother me enough. The only other thingis the way the plastic insert is in the sheath, makes it more of a right hand side knife (something only a lefty would notice) I would order it again with out a second thought.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
How much? Its thick enough to be good, step above a Mora/slim bladed fixed blade. Schrade still made in USA???
Schrade has been marketed by Taylor Brands since the 1980s along with Smith & Wesson, Primos, US Army and Boy Scouts knives and AFAIK they are all made in the Orient.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Gonna buy this knife for next excursion, i really like the Bolo bade shape, looks alot easier to sharpen then other more pronounced recurves and more versatile then alot of thick small knives out there..should make a good companion.... I've been paying attention to this know for awhile, it was designed by a forums member called Mistwalker he runs Griffin Hawks designs, from the reviews and looks of it, he seems to have done a good job. And for $40 i don't think you could go wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just don't get it. Why do people waste there money on this Chinese crap?
So many great American knives available....plus you are uhhh..buying American...
This Junk cant compare to an ESEE for $100, save your money and buy a knife that wont let you down.
Most Buck, All Case knives, knifes of Alaska, Esee/Rat, most Benchmade, etc..
The days of good Shrade knives are gone.

·
Registered
133 Posts

So many great American knives available....plus you are uhhh..buying American...
This Junk cant compare to an ESEE for $100, save your money and buy a knife that wont let you down.
Not everyone wants to be like everyone. Just because everyone buys an ESEE for $100 doesn't mean EVERYONE has to buy an ESEE or a BK2, or any becker.

There are differences in blades, Like shapes for example. I like the shape of the SCHF9. From the video tests/reviews and forum reviews, i know the SCHF9 would not let me down for what i use knives for.

Value. If ESEE made a clone of the SCHF9 and sold it for lets say $60 i would glady pay the extra $20 to buy a USA made product and for esee warranty.

At the end of the day though i don't care where it's made. If it was made in Iran i would still buy it.

Lemme ask you something, if i bought a piece of 1095 steel plank from the internet not knowing where it was from, it could have come from china or india. And grinded it heat treated it, handled it, etc etc. MADE my own Knife from it. Would that be considered made in the USA? even if the steel may have come from abroad? would that have changed the usefulness or quality of the knife at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your assumption that people buy Esee to be like everyone else is flawed, at least for me. I bought mine because it is USA made, it is a great knife, it has the glass breaker pommel, it's a great value and it really fits the bill for what I want it for. I could care less what everyone else buys, that should be obvious from my post.
The day Esee starts cutting quality and using prime materials just to cut the cost of their knives in half to appeal to the masses is the day I stop buying them.
You'd knowingly buy products from Iran? You know they want to wipe us off the map, right? Wow...
Buying USA made is more than just better products though. It keeps manufacturing, jobs, revenue and dollars here. It keeps us strong, but I guess you don't give a damn about that.
Using circular reasoning about where you bought your blank from doesn't change the fact that USA made products are better quality, better craftsmanship and built for the long haul. I can't think of any blade design not made by a US or European company that I need so bad as too justify buying Chinese crap.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts

I bought it because it's the knife that I wanted. I'm sorry if you somehow got the impression that I was purchasing it for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
that's cute....ha
I'm entitled to ask why when I want.
No, I wouldn't take the POS if you gave it to me, so no confusion on my part. I just wonder why guys continue to buy Chinese crap but then again, The Iran remark sort of clears it up....
Good luck with the crap, I'll continue to buy quality

·
Registered
18 Posts
So whats your point?
The knife maker is not entitled to a profit? Blank steel is just that..a blank...You understand all that has to go into that knife , right?
Besides all the knife work and manufacturing, materials...(rivets, handles) advertising, business licenses, administrative costs.....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
For certain, there are certain things made in the USA that are superior. Where was the computer made that you typed your posts on? Or the switches and routers that connected you to the internet? Now check the tag on your clothes? Where did they get the textiles? Your shoes? And probably half the food you ate today, unless you grow all your own, came from somewhere outside the USA. By all means, buy USA as often as it makes sense - I like Buck folders for example over any other.

This Schrade looks like a good piece of kit, good steel, and Schrade is an American company so Americans have jobs when you buy Schrade, even if the product is manufactured elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts