Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a thread specifically discussing the movie or I would have posted it in the movie section, its about your reactions on how to survive in the scenario depicted in the movie. If we faced a situation like that some of our our preps would come in handy such as canned food, water, weapons etc however the hope of self-sustainability from growing vegetables, crops, raising animals or hunting animals becomes impossible.
Prepping gives me confidence and a sense of looking after my family, the movie has unsettled me. I have a survivor attitude, I've always been independent and I would continue as far as I possibly could down any road to protect my son/family. What would you do? what would motivate you to continue? would your faith be enough to keep you going? Please let me know your thoughts?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well the movie was grim at best but life after TSHF is going to be a struggle and life will be cheap. Daily life will change drastically from the daily routine to always being on alert, you will become very guarded and careful as the first time you slip up you mght find yourself dead. Danger will always be present and not just from mobs of crazed survivors, you will sleep with one eye open,stress will be a everyday thing. Your life compared to today's standards will be greatly shortened from a number of possibilities, disease,accidents (even minor ones), malnutrition, gun battles and the loss of hope things will get better. If your lucky to survive more than 2-3 years in a worse case situation you will be very lucky indeed as many will not and the ones that do will fall into 2 camps, the independent types (mountain men of Western days types) and the criminal types. Each group will be fighting over resourses to survive which will generally leave to run-ins and who survives those is never certain.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I would stay in the bunker I found. Would work to make it more defensible and create a better hide over it. I would definitely, not have run away and taken my kid back out into the unknown out of fear. There is a time to fear, a time to consider, and a time to make a stand. That bunker was a time to make a stand.
I agree to a point, but also disagree. That bunker would be a HORRIBLE place to make a stand. The only good thing it had going was concealment. Once anyone found out of its existence, kiss your boody goodbye. You saw that hoard house. There were 5-6 well armed folks.

How can you defend a bunker like that? All they had to do if they REALLY wanted you out was light a bonfire on the ground over the bunker and smoke you out.

Better choice would be to take everything out slowly to a better location. In the movie, someone tracked them to that location. It didn't happen in the book though, just the movie.

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
What would keep me motivated?

That would be the disire not to see my wife and son suffer or die!

It's hard to say exactly what I would do in that situation. I would have taken as many preps in the bunker but I wouldn't have stayed there. The movie doesn't say what the disaster was but I assume it was some type of nuclear explosion, I would keep traveling in hopes of finding a better, less destroyed place by whatever happened.

·
Rome fell.
316 Posts
I would stay in the bunker I found. Would work to make it more defensible and create a better hide over it. I would definitely, not have run away and taken my kid back out into the unknown out of fear. There is a time to fear, a time to consider, and a time to make a stand. That bunker was a time to make a stand.
Absolutely. The first thing this guy does wrong is marry a woman who does not share his passion for survival. That aside, he leaves a safe place to wander - more than once! Wandering in a COMWEC situation will end you. While it makes a cool (albeit short) story, it is not realistic to believe that you are going to take your small children "around" looking for "something." If that's not bad enough, he's starving, so he leaves food behind to burn 3000 calories a day walking? Or worse, he drags 30 # of food around all day? What a dummy. He deserved to die of some starvation related illness at the end of the movie. The most unrealistic part was that his kid was adopted by that family in the end. If it had been for real, his kid would be dead too. Nice going pop.

There were so many bad decisions in that movie I've made it required family viewing. Rule # 1 - arm yourself. Rule # 2 - if you are in a relatively safe place, stay there and hide for as long as you can. Rule # 3 if you have to leave, have a plan, a place to go and avoid public routes.

Other misc. violations of SHTF protocol - leave the bandits on the road alone!
- Don't build a fire in the open, it attracts unwanted attention.
- Don't talk to strangers on the road unless you are information gathering.

And most importantly...DON'T TAKE "THE ROAD"!!!! Everyone else has the same idea.

·
SURVIVALISM IS A IFESTYLE
Better than Most but Not the Best
254 Posts
Faith in God, combined with the will to survive and my duty to protect my family. Thats my motivation. Survival situations really test us and we must have something to keep us going.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
The science behind this is bunk. Its another one of these ideas that was started by students doing a thesis to earn a PHD. Its called Nuclear winter.One major flaw that the genises who came up with this is Gravity. You see the concept is a nuclear exchange or a super volcano or asteroid impact throws dirt particles way up in the stratosphere where there is no wind and they block out the sun's ray's and the planet die's.

Well Gravity will pull down to the surface everything thats inside the atmosphere. Now this might take a while,a few months maybe. But the show the Road showed " the Flash"
when Charlise Theron was pregnant and then the story takes place when the boy is How old? 10.12.13?
The memory of the sun being blotted out 10 years after a nuclear winter event will just be a story,a memory.for those who survive.

Now it could have massive impact on society. There could no longer be no Government or we could have to live with Martial Law. There are a lot of things that could hapen to this planet but to end up like " the Road" where most are canibals and the rest eat only whatever canned goods they could find until humanity is finaly gone is to say. Nope it aint gonna happen.Not for that long.

Interesting movie but just another way to bring up a base human fear of being eaten.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
FNG I had the same opionion of the movie and book as you. Pretending you are safer on the road facing total unknowns is just plain dumb. I would find a nice underground facility to hang out and gather up as many assets as possible. I have always thought a large dam site would be very safe. Lots of power that should run quite some time,lots of concrete ,heavy steel doors and large heavily secured rooms. It would sure beat pushing a cart out in the open & unknown!

Baddogg5 I agree with you that "The Road " shows a not very realistic scenario for a nuke event.

I think it would be possible to grow things using water powered generators and grow lights. Fish farming should also be possible. In some of the mine shafts on our place we have a lot of lizards. Maybe they can live in "the Road" type conditions?

I always keep adding to my freeze dried and dehyrated food supplies just in case we ever need food that lasts us for several years. Those foods last so long that it makes the high prices well worth it to me.

I have enough faith in myself and my preperations that even this movie doesn't make me feel like I could not prevail in that situation. I never will feel hopeless and defeated by anything until the day they are putting the first shovel of dirt burying me.

Red

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
The science behind this is bunk. Its another one of these ideas that was started by students doing a thesis to earn a PHD. Its called Nuclear winter.One major flaw that the genises who came up with this is Gravity. You see the concept is a nuclear exchange or a super volcano or asteroid impact throws dirt particles way up in the stratosphere where there is no wind and they block out the sun's ray's and the planet die's.

Well Gravity will pull down to the surface everything thats inside the atmosphere. Now this might take a while,a few months maybe. But the show the Road showed " the Flash"
when Charlise Theron was pregnant and then the story takes place when the boy is How old? 10.12.13?
The memory of the sun being blotted out 10 years after a nuclear winter event will just be a story,a memory.for those who survive.

Now it could have massive impact on society. There could no longer be no Government or we could have to live with Martial Law. There are a lot of things that could hapen to this planet but to end up like " the Road" where most are canibals and the rest eat only whatever canned goods they could find until humanity is finaly gone is to say. Nope it aint gonna happen.Not for that long.

Interesting movie but just another way to bring up a base human fear of being eaten.
The nature of the disaster was not specified in the movie, nor the book for that matter. It doesn't matter to the story so the author didn't bother to say. Maybe nuclear war, maybe asteroid, maybe a flying unicorn attack. We just don't know, so to call it bunk is pretty silly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My critique: the guy taught his kid how to commit suicide. There is an acceptance of death when life is no longer worth living. When he left the bunker, he accepted the risk of death of being out in the world while being out in the world held very little payoff.

By staying, he would have accepted the risk of death but with the payoff of nourishment. Best case would have been to hide out until you are healthy again.

Face it, if someone is following you and you haven't seen them...chances are you are in the short rows. The fact that they spent at least one night in the bunker proves they were safe from any followers. Bad guys would have taken the bunker the first night.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
The nature of the disaster was not specified in the movie, nor the book for that matter. It doesn't matter to the story so the author didn't bother to say. Maybe nuclear war, maybe asteroid, maybe a flying unicorn attack. We just don't know, so to call it bunk is pretty silly.
Watch the movie again

does the sun shine? NO what caused the sun not to shine? Dosent matter it wont happen for long.

The science behind this is called Nuclear Winter. It dosent matter what causes it. Its Bunk science weither Im silly or not

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well bottom line is we can plan and theorize till the cows come home and events go where we least expect them to go. All I know is something is coming, how bad I don't know so all I can do is prepare as best I can and God will handle the rest. The Road gave us a glimpse of a terrible existance that mankind may or may not face. The thoughts of facing groups of survivors resorting to unthinkable\unspeakable acts did send chills down my back and guess if placed in that situation it would be a fight to the death as numbers would give them the advantage and I would reserve the last rounds for ourselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool movie but it was a little ridiculous. Why did the guy that was part of the man eating crew walk 50' into the woods to take a leak? If you hunt people down to eat them, I would think any kind self respect or "stage freight" when taking a leak would go out the window. The part towards the end with the flair gun was cool.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
All right, lets say I go with the sunless situation in the movie and don't pick the science behind it apart. BTW, I'm not sure it was established that nukes caused the problem. Could have been multiple volcano eruptions, which could block the sun with ash for an extended period of time, though not forever.

What would give me the will to keep actively surviving until the bitter end? My family. Putting a roof over their heads and food in their bellies is a responsibility God entrusted me with when he blessed me with my family. My faith would keep me going as well. I've seen time and again in my life that when I try and don't give up on whatever I'm trying to achieve that I get unexpected help in achieving those ends. I trust God. End of story. Even if I don't get that extra help in exactly the form I'm looking for, I always trust that things are unwinding exactly as He planned. In the end, even if that end is death, my family and I will be taken care of. (I don't want to think about the suicide option I saw in the movie, though I understand it from the father's POV. I'd like to think I'm made of sturdier stuff than that. But none of us knows for sure what we'll resort to until we're in the situation.)

I just watched this movie last night. I had read the book a while back. I've been thinking a lot about this situation for a while. A lot of preparations people are making will not work under those circumstances. Gardening is a good example of just one that will not work. Solar power is another. Are there ways around that?

I believe there are ways around that. First and foremost on the list of necessities for surviving this situation for an extended period of time is alternative power, assuming you've done as you should be doing now and have built up emergency food and water and equipment. I saw a lot of trees that were dead. Dead trees burn. You can make electricity from fire via steam engine if you have to. Or, you can use the wood-gas to run a generator if you've prepared a wood gassifier (sp?) ahead of time. A battery bank is something all of us should be setting up right now regardless of whether you have alternative power. Windmills would work just fine without the sun as well. And if you were really smart you could take advantage of the rain for hydro by putting in a pond on high ground and using a pipe and hydro-generator to produce energy with the rushing water when you open the valve. And---as well as---in addition to---you could use human power to recharge your batteries via stationary bicycle/alternator.

So, if you've got power you can run grow lights, which would be important in that situation. The power would also allow a multitude of other applications and improve your quality of life.

Also, if you sprout seeds you can eat quality food with high nutrition. No, I'm not saying to eat ALL your seeds and save nothing for gardening when the sun returns. A lot of people are storing non-hybrid, heirloom, seeds for gardening and I agree with them wholeheartedly. But---what about the hybrid seeds? Couldn't one store those in bulk and use them for sprouting while keeping the heirloom seeds stored for future gardening?

With those sprouts, assuming you've stored enough seeds for sprouting, you can now feed small critters like bunnies and bugs and chickens. Feed the bunnies sprouts. Feed the bugs sprouts. Feed the chickens sprouts and bugs. Now you've got protein in addition to vegetables. And all without the sun. As well, your grow lights would allow you to grow a bit of mature veggies or fruits, allowing you to replenish---or add to--- your stock of heirloom seeds if you're a good enough gardener. In addition to the stored preps, this would extend the amount of time your preps will last. Maybe you could even get to a point where you're not depleting your food stocks.

And if the situation gets really bad, eat the damn bugs.

A pond on high ground could be emptied into a lower laying storage tank or pond closer to your shelter. You could capture the energy from the rushing water in the pipes via hydro generator and refill your close water supply at the same time. *shrugs* Maybe.

Guns would be a necessity in that event. I'm covered. As well, projectile weapons and hand weapons would be handy for conserving on ammunition when the threat isn't huge enough to spend bullets on.

As for transportation, I would be going with bicycles. In the movie I didn't see any bicycles at all. I think that is unrealistic. If you've stockpiled alcohol ahead of time, you might even be able to add a small motor to the bicycle that runs on alcohol. Maybe.

And I'm sure there are other good preps for this situation that I didn't think of.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The science behind this is bunk. Its another one of these ideas that was started by students doing a thesis to earn a PHD. Its called Nuclear winter.
Looks like you're correct:
Wikipedia said:
The original work by Sagan and others was criticized as a "myth" and "discredited theory" in the 1987 book Nuclear War Survival Skills, a civil defense manual by Cresson Kearny for the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.[35] Kearny said the maximum estimated temperature drop would be only about by 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and that this amount of cooling would last only a few days. He also suggested that a global nuclear war would indeed result in millions of deaths from hunger, but primarily due to cessation of international food supplies, rather than due to climate changes.[35]
Looks like the effects can also be termed "Volcanic Winter", but the result is the same. The effects don't last nearly as long as originally anticipated.

Either way, I don't believe the story was really about the SHTF, that was just a method of telling it. The story, to me, was more about facing adversity, the love of a father for his child, and the perseverance of good against all odds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.