Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
We ordered it through Netflix and watched it last night... After reading the book, I thought I was ready to see the movie. Wow... what a devastating wake-up call... Could one ever actually be prepared enough for a situation like that? :confused:

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Yeah I just rented it too...mind trip for sure. I had a post on here awhile back on weather or not I would want to really survive a true end of the world situation. The true horrors we will see, watching your wife or child suffer, maybe raped or killed. referring back to my post months ago...save that last round for yourself.

·
You looking at me!
4,026 Posts
I watched it and wasnt that impressed........could have had a lot more story to it.
he needed a better BOB thats for sure.....and what about that jacket?
what had happened to all the shops with all the gear in?
What was the actual disaster that took place?
We need a movie set in the not too distant future where they have a fully loaded BOB and skills and then follow the journey............

·
Registered
230 Posts
listened to the audio, pretty dark, I wouldn't suggest it for a road trip... might cause you to drive off a bridge, but still, I'll be watching the movie, it's important to think about worst case scenarios, keeps your head screwed on straight. Still, I wish they would of said what the disaster was, guess we can all come up with our own most likely scenario! Thanks for the heads up on the DVD release.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
I haven't read the book but we did see the movie in the theater. I totally disagree with all the naysayers as I really enjoyed that movie and will likely buy it on DVD to watch again. Many months later I am still haunted by the images in that movie. I give it :thumb:

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I haven't read the book but we did see the movie in the theater. I totally disagree with all the naysayers as I really enjoyed that movie and will likely buy it on DVD to watch again. Many months later I am still haunted by the images in that movie. I give it :thumb:
You're smarter than the average human, that's why. :)

While people will constantly pick the movie apart as to why The Man didn't have his best North Face jacket on and all his stuff in his pristine looking BOB and instead ended up looking like one of today's homeless people, they miss the fact that it was a Father and Son love story above anything else and not really a disaster movie like "2012" and others of that ilk.

I think some people have the romantic notion that the Mountain Men of our country's beginnings didn't stink, etc. Some homeless people today probably smelled better. Read some Mark Twain...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Watched this flick last night. I thought it was good in the fact that it did not romanticize what the end of the world may look like. I think some people have an image that they will be the last man on earth and enjoy their homestead even though that may not be so.

The movie portrayed what the earth will probably look like should some major catastrophe occur. No food, equipment, or even sunlight and blue skies. I appreciated what this movie portrayed so much more than some other post apocalyptic movies such as "Book of Eli".

On a side note, I watched this with my girlfriend and now all of the sudden she sees the benefit in being prepared. I didn't say a word during the movie but at the point when they were in the barn with the family who had hung themselves she said "Geez, I think we should start storing more food and water".

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
I watched it and wasnt that impressed........could have had a lot more story to it.
he needed a better BOB thats for sure.....and what about that jacket?
what had happened to all the shops with all the gear in?
What was the actual disaster that took place?
We need a movie set in the not too distant future where they have a fully loaded BOB and skills and then follow the journey............
The kid was what - 10 maybe 11? That's 10-11 YEARS of living that way, since the event happened just before birth.

That's a long time to burn through all the "glitzy" gear.

I actually don't like watching the flic (I think it's good though) because I'm not really that motivated to survive in such a world.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I think "The Book of Eli" had another thing going on. About how humanity misuses something that is supposed to be for good, The Bible, and it has that supernatural element to the movie. Perhaps "Eli" should be viewed in the context of the survivors of "The Road" thirty years later.

Cormac McCarthy never tells what the calamity was but about the only thing that could cause something like he describes is a hit by something from space or perhaps a supervolcano/caldera explosion. Duvall's character, with the surreal name of "Ely," hinted that mankind had been warned and had seen the signs of it coming...

Interesting to think about. Cannibalism has been in the shadow of mankind ever since mankind came about and while that shocks a lot of people, the scenes in The Road, it's to be expected. Just a few short years ago, North Koreans were cannibalizing each other because there were major food shortages.

The Soccer Team that survived up in The Andes, The Donner Party, cannibalism has been around, out of necessity. Man, look around you! How many people would do it if it otherwise meant starvation? How many people would go the way of The Andes Survivors or The Donner Party and just eat those that died in the accident/disaster and how many would decide to actively hunt humans for food?

The most terrifying thing of contemplating this type of thing are the humans that would not only actively hunt humans for food but those that would kidnap people at gunpoint, fellow survivors, hobble or otherwise cripple them and imprison them...to take them apart one limb at a time.

One of the prisoners in the basement, waiting their turn to be hacked and sawed to pieces, said something chilling that I don't remember from the book and I missed when I went to see The Road at the theatre, "They're taking us to the smokehouse." I had the subtitles on and read that...

It's thought-provoking on many levels if you wish it so.

Or...people can just sit and bellyache about it. :)

·
Banned
7,205 Posts
It sucked in the theater.... and I will also suck on DVD.

This one is not even worth the price of a $1.00 rental fee.

ST
i have to agree i wasnt blown away at all pun intended. The book was alot better, i just wish they had taken my favorite parts from the book and put them in a visual spectrum in the movie.

Btw i need to get a flare gun lol.

The book of Eli was so much better ( no book to read ..sadface) It had everything i was looking for that i didnt get when i watched the road.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I watched it last week and wasn't that impressed either. I don't expect too much realism in movies, but an extinction event where all the animals and even supposedly bugs are dead, I believe we would go before them. We are much more fragile.
Apparently you didn't watch it very well as there were some insects and one bird near the end.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.