Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Atlantic, Sept. 26, 2019 had an interesting article on how a certain happening was affecting our country, especially the young in replacing a spiritual life with one of workism. "Three Decades Ago, America Lost It's Religion. Why"? I would add another question: "Has this loss been better or worse for America's life and society? And if it is how can we get it back?

"Deep into the 20th century, more than nine in 10 Americans said they believed in God and belonged to an organized religion, with the great majority of them calling themselves Christians. That number held steady throughout the 80's. What the hell happened around 1990?"

According to Christian Smith, cited in the article, a professor of sociology and religion at University of Notre Dame, this change has mostly been the result of three historical events: the association of the Republican Party with the Christian Right, the end of the Cold War, and 9/11.

Do you agree with Smith? Do you have other ideas?

·
Indefatigable
20,091 Posts
"Three Decades Ago, America Lost It's Religion. Why"?
Better education. A newly recognised epidemic of religous pedophila.
"Has this loss been better or worse for America's life and society?
Better
how can we get it back?
A question only those who want it back can answer
What the hell happened around 1990?"
For the first time since Vietnam the government lied to start what everyone who was honest with themselves knew would be a quagmire.
Do you agree with Smith?
For the most part.

Reactions: makobytes

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The Atlantic, Sept. 26, 2019 had an interesting article on how a certain happening was affecting our country, especially the young in replacing a spiritual life with one of workism. "Three Decades Ago, America Lost It's Religion. Why"? I would add another question: "Has this loss been better or worse for America's life and society? And if it is how can we get it back?

"Deep into the 20th century, more than nine in 10 Americans said they believed in God and belonged to an organized religion, with the great majority of them calling themselves Christians. That number held steady throughout the 80's. What the hell happened around 1990?"

According to Christian Smith, cited in the article, a professor of sociology and religion at University of Notre Dame, this change has mostly been the result of three historical events: the association of the Republican Party with the Christian Right, the end of the Cold War, and 9/11.

Do you agree with Smith? Do you have other ideas?
I would add the rise of for profit church's and the fall of the Baker's and Swaggert.

Further, todays Christianity is a cruel facsimile of that of my youth.

·
Proud American Patriot
2,401 Posts
The decline of Christianity in America is a result of the systematic attacks against it by the liberal cult, through the schools and the media it controls. Migration from the third world in the name of multiculturalism has also reduced the relative numbers. This is all essential to the liberal cult setting itself up as the official state religion.

The Bible tells us that this kind of thing will happen in the end times, and there is evidence that we are entering into those end times. Rejection of God and love of the world is seductive, because you can do whatever you want, so it's easy to sell to the simple-minded.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I personally liked the 1980s. Maybe because I was young then and didn't have responsibilities. I don't think religion or lack of has anything to do with it.

I think the U.S. declined because of increased diversity and irresponsible government spending. I don't think diversity is a good thing. Again nothing to do with religion.

Clinton got elected at the start of the 90s. That definitely had a lot to do with current problems

Are you trying to continue the now closed thread on religion, or is this a more political thread?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,544 Posts
I personally liked the 1980s. Maybe because I was young then and didn't have responsibilities. I don't think religion or lack of has anything to do with it.

I think the U.S. declined because of increased diversity and irresponsible government spending. I don't think diversity is a good thing. Again nothing to do with religion.

Clinton got elected at the start of the 90s. That definitely had a lot to do with current problems

Are you trying to continue the now closed thread on religion, or is this a more political thread?
All of the above or none of it, depending on one's beliefs possibly.

But Hey we Need another extremely long thread with more than 2,000 posts in a few days, discussing / bashing religion specifically Christianity, since all those other religions, which most of the world have maybe even believe, don't matter at least in the self-centered USA

Btw, I pretty much despise politics and religion since they are about Controlling people. I have and do read and believe the Bible but for me anyway the Bible has little to do with any organized controlling religion.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,499 Posts
But Hey we Need another extremely long thread with more than 2,000 posts in a few days, discussing / bashing religion specifically Christianity, since all those other religions, which most of the world have maybe even believe, don't matter at least in the self-centered USA
Oh no we don’t. In fact, we learned our lesson from the thread you are referring to: it is not worth the enormous time and effort to sort out the hijacks, insults, and spitball throwing that went on...which will likely happen again in a similar thread.

This is a high-maintenance topic that requires more time than we have right now to babysit and keep it from turning into a fine grand mess. At the moment there’s not enough manpower to keep volatile threads like this from blowing out of proportion.

Maybe later, but not now. Sorry.

Thread closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.