Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Global food prices rose for the 12th month in a row in May, up nearly 40% year over year, according to the United Nations' food price index. Last month was also the sharpest monthly rise in average food prices in over a decade, spiking 4.8% from April to May.

Victory gardens, also called war gardens or food gardens for defense, were vegetable, fruit, and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Germany during World War I and World War II.

Some put in Covid gardens in spring of 2021. Community gardens, co-ops, family gardens, etc. have been common for decades. So is now the time to plan your 2022 garden?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
not only am i planning it i been tilling and adding organics to it all this summer, the compost for next years addition is all ready turned and stacked ready to be spread after i till the new ground ,,,or in other words i am planning out two years from now .. adding more ground under cultivation as well as reclaiming some i left fallow for three years,

i think i will quit adding area at one and a half acres of worked ground [tilled] and plant most of the rest in fruit trees and berry bushes

with the drought here this year it was a good year to be tilling to help weed areas for next years gardens, with it being so dry a few crops just needed to much water to make it efficient to grow so they became organic matter added in when i tilled it under

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,131 Posts
This time around, the war is against Cultural Marxism. Cultural Marxism relies heavily on a helpless, useless, dependent population with no practical skills.

As such, this time around, geyting people to garden is not just supporting the war effort, it IS the war effort.

The Cultural Marxists can only appeal to the helpless. Their gospel of nonsense has no place among those who recognize manure when they see it.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
Some of us are of an age to remember our grandparents and great grandparents talking about growing food as an absolute necessity during WWII and the Great Depression. Those that fled Europe just before WWI were largely in the same boat--poverty was the pandemic in most of rural Europe at that time and if they wanted decent food, they grew it.

I've gardened since I was basically a kid. And was slave labor in my grandparent's garden when I was younger, but as I was a child, I thought it great fun to be given a paper sack and a picking size green bean and being sent to the garden to be told to pick every bean that was that size or larger. The bush bean patch was huge, and a world of it's own to a small child. Plus, grandma didn't have to strain her brisket to pick them!!

I love growing things in general, always have. Gardening is good for the soul, and I wish more people knew how tending growing, producing plants can help heal the heart, mind, and soul.

In fact, Ted Nugent did an interview recently about how nature helps heal us!

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have gardened a lot over my life.

I moved, three years ago, from a house with a massive back yard to a place on a postage stamp sized lot.

I am, as I type this (literally just sent off email to realtor), checking into a property that if all goes well will have me off the Island, out of the city, and into a beautiful rural property before November hits.

Fingers crossed this will be not only the first rural property I have personally owned (not the first I have lived on, worked, etc just the first I have owned) but will also become my place of business, my prepper palace, and the land that I will either be buried on or carried feet first off of.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I was thinking about buying a roto tiller attachment to my ATV and several 4x200 foot beds, widely spaced enough to run the zero turn mower down in between anf mulch with grass clippings. Havent done that before except around individual plants by hand.

Any thoughts about this? The bed width is to accomodate a pop-up sunshade on rolling wheels for mid-day weeding in the shade.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was thinking about buying a roto tiller attachment to my ATV and several 4x200 foot beds, widely spaced enough to run the zero turn mower down in between anf mulch with grass clippings. Havent done that before except around individual plants by hand.

Any thoughts about this? The bed width is to accomodate a pop-up sunshade on rolling wheels for mid-day weeding in the shade.
Did raised beds this year, wide enough to mow between. Unfortunately you have to hit it with the weed eater too ... all around all of them. That's more of a pain than cutting the grass, but less than weeding rows and rows of garden.

Not sure about mulching with the clippings, at least not here. We have bermuda and prairie grasses here, it simply spreads. So if I were to cut a section, it would take root and start growing. I'd have to (and do) compost mine for a year before I could use it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm working on putting in a garden, raised bed style as our soil is bad. Probably going to put it on the old concrete shed pad to avoid the weedeating. My issue I'm having though is finding soil. Everywhere either didn't get any in or already got rid of it for the season - which makes no sense in Texas as we can garden nearly year round.

·
A marathon not a sprint
5,256 Posts
I am smiling , I am sure there were all sorts of gardens before the promotion of Victory gardens to stimulate local food production during the war . Besides being able to garden organically for food, I like to think we can manage our landscapes to regenerate healthy soils too . I continue to add to my gardens yearly though as I age I realize I need to set some limits , but continue to keep an eye towards being capable of bumping up our food production as need be .

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm working on putting in a garden, raised bed style as our soil is bad. Probably going to put it on the old concrete shed pad to avoid the weedeating. My issue I'm having though is finding soil. Everywhere either didn't get any in or already got rid of it for the season - which makes no sense in Texas as we can garden nearly year round.
Not sure what part of TX you are in, but I had 10 yards delivered last Friday (~450 bucks delivered). PM if you need the name, perhaps you are local.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts