Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buck Nelson of Alaska just completed his Wilderness hike of 2700 miles. He's the real deal - nice down to earth guy too.

He averaged hiking about 19 miles a day and did 33 miles on his best day.
I'll let him tell it:

Average miles per day overall: 18.7
Average miles per day during full days of hiking (not counting days spent partially in towns for resupply, etc): 21.4
Most miles in a day: 33
Pairs of shoes used: 6
Bears sighted: about 6 black bears and 8 grizzlies
Favorite stretches: There were many magical places along the way, but the best long stretches were the San Juans, the Wind Rivers, and Glacier.
Scariest moments?
The night I was sleeping in the open and the black bear walked up so close to me I could hear him breathing, and then when he returned an hour later when I was just falling asleep and he was so close I could smell him!
The day I fell violently downhill into the rocks when my foot got caught on an old rusty piece of barbed wire in Montana. I was really afraid I had broken my arm and broken some teeth. The only damage was a swollen forearm.
The night when I had just gotten camp set up and a bear was patrolling just out of sight, grunting and smashing trees. (The next morning I found a willow meadow that had been just out of sight and when I saw a bull moose immediately knew it had been him and not a bear at all.)

He's got some great photos. Here's his link.
http://www.bucktrack.com/Continental_Divide_Trail_Updates.html

You can also check out his 1000 mile hike alone up in northern Alaska.
I'd say we could learn a lot from Buck. He's history in the making. :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I scanned over the page, it seems there is alot of useful info in there and its quite inspirational seeing all of the beautiful pictures. I have been wanting to do this hike since I was a kid.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bought one of his tapes of his 700 mile trip thru upper Alaska by foot and raft. It was awesome! Much rather see it than 99% of these Hollywood movies that come out.
Ole Buck, hundreds of miles from civilization, would kill his own Caribou and make jerky out of it while rafting down some remote river. At one point he found an unopened bottle of Jim Beam out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure what he did with it. :rolleyes: He had many chances to take a moose, but didn't, because it would be too much wasted meat.
He told me he took two knives with him - small SAK and a Kershaw blade trader knife.
He of course filmed himself through all this. He's probably the unspoken King of this kind of stuff - not Bear or Les or Ray. He's totally unsupported and must get out himself, not relying on film crews or helicopter pickups; and not just a weekly adventure. It took him months to do these trips.
My hat's off to him.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/0a/99/a77e_1.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts