Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that this is any new news for most that visit these forums, but I figured I would post the link regardless.

Rich nations race to secure farmland around the planet
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008550872_land23.html

Around the world, food-poor but cash-rich countries, spooked by last season's high food prices, are racing to snap up rights to farmland in developing countries and breadbasket nations. They're aiming to boost their own food security and cash in on what might prove one of the few sound investments left in a world in financial crisis.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Makes sense. With the solar minimum, with causes shortened time for agricultural crops do to unseasonable cold weather, food is going to be more important than ever. Last summer I saw too many crop failures and declines in production do to weather. The cold weather pattern seems to be continuing, with guaranteed cold damaged to perennial crops in my area. Lets hope that things improve come spring and farmers, like me, are able to get our crops in the ground and harvested without too much weather problems.

(To you global warming nuts, I had to shovel snow yesterday. No one in my community owns a snow shovel, because in my lifetime of 32 years, snow has never been more than a brief novelty. The weather stations said this morning that we have broken all the record books for snow this year since we are at 11 days of snow with more in the forecast. I figured out that God got mad at Al Gore for claiming that man controls the weather, and put the sun on dim. :D:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
If China were to consume as much grain per capita as the West does, it by itself would require the entire world production of grain to do so.

Collapse is immenint.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
If China were to consume as much grain per capita as the West does, it by itself would require the entire world production of grain to do so.

Collapse is immenint.
imminent, does that mean this 2009? What does that mean?
it isn't even a doomsday article, nor does it mention anyone starving to death. It about rich countries controlling their own food supplies and investing in poor countries where ag is ineffecient.

"For decades, food-security experts have been decrying the lack of investment in agriculture in developing countries, particularly those in sub-Saharan Africa, as a major impediment to eradicating hunger and boosting grain production worldwide. Now, with rich nations suddenly stepping up with billions of dollars, analysts are hopeful that some of the investment could finally bring the production boosts the world has been waiting for."

·
Registered
246 Posts
My family were pioneers in the mid 1800s. They settled the untamed fertile Willamette Valley. The soil was so black and deep. Everything grew here.

Flash forward 160 years - and we still own a small part of the original homestead - but all around us the farmland is being gobbled up by Nike, Intel, ShoppingMallHell, subdivisions with postage stamp sized lots and gobs of roads. My neighbors couldn't feed themselves if the store ran out of food and they surely cannot keep their families warm if ol' PGE loses power.

There is a massive snowstorm right now and our local stores have run low on some supplies. It's eerie and very telling about what our future is if we do not wake up and pull our head out of our butts.

I for one, am hoping the gas prices go back up because it forces us to act instead of sit around moaning about our sucky lives (I could only afford a 47" HDTV instead of the 52" that I really wanted or whatever).

I'll get off my soapbox now...but I am prepared to get right back on again if need be.

Cheers ;)
Heather

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
likely to occur at any moment; impending:
i was asking boy george fan what he meant, not a cut n paste from the dictionary. collapse IS NOT imminent in the case of agriculture.

what these countries are doing is the responsible thing and actually making the food supply SAFER for themselves by not leaving their imports to chance.

Someone isn't using their head here.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
About the weather, I am POSITIVE we have had man made global warming. After all, Chicago has had unheard of *EVER* 70 degree days last January. Also, we have had over a decade of unusually mild and short winters. This year however, Chicago is, for the first time in 10-15 years, finally having a winter like the normal Chicago winters we had every year when I was growing up, going all the way back to my Grandparents time (to hear them, it was worse even). -10 to -20 was the Norm back then, by January, not +70.

Due to global warming, it has been so mild here that everyone has forgotten what it was like. Now that Global warming has been fixed, the free ride is over.

Considering this is in direct correlation with the new President elect, I think that Obama has used his powers to fix Global warming, and everything is back to normal now.

All Hail the Messiah!!!

Here is another thread I started on Kung Fu Magazine's forum about it.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52807

·
Registered
959 Posts
Peak Soil is as real as Peak Oil, Peak Water and human caused atmospheric alteration. These facts and others will cull human numbers in the coming decades.
yep for sure.we have to many people in the world already.way to many people for my likes just as it.we are breeding like rats and we may die like rats too...fast...fast.

so lets call it peak people.....or.....just a bunch of rats in a cage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts